“Excellent food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grapes Hotel

The Grapes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Maentwrog B&B and Inns
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We had a meal in the recently reopened Grapes, and it was a really pleasant experience. The menu is still a bit unbalanced (mostly pork and beef, no lamb or chicken) but the quality is excellent. The mushrooms-on-toast starter is beautiful.
Manager Matt and staff are helpful and attentive.
We look forward to coming again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Mathew P, Manager at The Grapes Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Eveline v.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am very please that you enjoyed your experience with us. We will be looking at menu's this week and will be introducing a few more dishes to help balance the menu. feedback is very important to us in these early stages. Hopefully you will return to be able to see how we have progressed in the near future.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Grapes.

Mat & Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Meantwrog
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

We saw that the Grapes was back open and actually attended their opening night. We were so impressed by the atmosphere and Matt (the landlord) that we decided to book for a meal the following night. The meal was brilliant as was the very attentive staff. It was their first night opening but it was slick and professional. Very impressed ! 10/10

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Mathew P, Manager at The Grapes Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Dear ArtNoirMaentwrog,

Thank you for your kind review. As you mention, yes we are now open for business!

I hope that we can rebuild the reputation of this once great hub of the local community. We WILL work very hard to bring back the atmosphere, the good food and most importantly keep our fine selection of Evan Evans beers flowing!

Once again, Thank you and I hope to see you again in the near future

Mat
Grapes Hotel
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

As at 8 may 2013 this pub is closed. Looked scruffy from outside. Will need some time before this pub is open and worth trying. Trip advisor wants min 200 words so therefore I would recommend instead the castle inn criccieth. Good food friendly staff and some good beer.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

The Grapes used to be ok. I was looking forward to lunch today, while walking part of the Wales coast path. I know Maentwrog is not on the coast! There was a sign saying temporarily closed, nothing of value on the premises. The OakeleyArms is still open.
If it were open, I would have given 3 or 4 stars based on previous visits. I've never stayed there, just had a meal or a drink.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Pwy
Rhos-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

Booked in to stay for one night to attend works xmas party ....which due to the hotel not informing their guests they shut between 2-5pm I was not only late to the party but soaked, freezing and had to change in the toilets at the party location and take my car their as I missed my pick-up. I arrived at the hotel at 15.10 in very wet cold weather and spent the best part of an hour knocking/phoning to try and check in and was also joined by a 2nd hotel guest trying to check in. Contacted booking.com who confirmed check-in was after 2pm, they also tried contact manager and got no response. Just after 4pm I decided to give up, drive myself to my works event and drink coke until I could get in tough with the hotel. As I was so cold and wet from trying to check-in I had little choice but to use the toilet facilities at the party location to change and freshen up. Just after 5.pm I called the hotel again and finally got an answer and told that they were very sorry, but they had decided to close the hotel from 2-5pm during winter and that they hadn't yet put a notice on the door!! Note to hotel a note on the front door only actually informs your paying guests that they can't check-in after they have already arrived. I had to drive back to the hotel to check in and then drive back to the party. This was a little frustrating as I had planned on being picked up and dropped back, instead I had to take my car and get a lift bag meaning I had a 1.3 mile walk in the rain and up a pretty steep hill the next morning to collect my car. On the upside the room itself was very nice, the only downside was being put in a room with single glazing at the front of the hotel and been woken every 5 minutes from 6am onwards with the constant cars passing by. The young man who actually showed me to my room when I did get checked in was very helpful and pleasant, but I'm afraid that doesn't take away from the fact the actual management of the hotel, esp in winter is very poor...summer or winter your guests are still paying for a service.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SAH1212
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

I booked 2 nights at The Grapes Hotel for a mixed business/pleasure trip earlier this month. Arrived in the dark so didn't fully appreciate the beauty of the location until the following morning! I was organising a wedding at the nearby Portmeirion (a mere 4 miles away), so this was ideally located for me, and would likewise appeal to anyone who likes the proximity of both the coastal attractions and the inland hills for exploring. The staff were all friendly and accommodating; the room and en-suite were well appointed, and the local ales & 'pub grub' were all lovely too! There was a great mix of local clientele in the bar, and the location clearly attracts the more 'outdoorsy' visitors too - so, despite 'flying solo' for 2 nights, I managed plenty of socialising with friendly people! For anyone who wants a nice, friendly place to stay with good, honest food and service, I would strongly recommmend giving The Grapes a try!

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room at the back of the hotel to make the most of the gorgeous views down the...