“Not quite a resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tangkak
Gunung Ledang Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tangkak
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at the resort for a few days in May 2014, so that some friends and I could explore the nearby park. The "resort" is ideally located for such adventures, but it does not meet typical westerners' standards for comfort. The bathrooms are tiny, and the shower is merely an individual electrical water heater bolted to the wall next to the sink. There is no separate stall, so you will basically have to sit on the toilet to bathe. All four of the rooms we had reeked of cigaret smoke, and all were in need of a thorough cleaning. The aircon was a bit dodgy, but it ultimately got the job done. Expect lots of Malay families, and leave anything truly valuable at home, because there isn't a great means to secure your stuff. The hotel boasts a pool, but it is tiny and not ideally maintained. Similarly, the hotel has a restaurant, but the food isn't high end. It is, however, safe to eat, and the hotel makes a great iced tea Tarik (a local drink that's similar to Thai iced tea). While the staff was courteous, this hotel is only appropriate for the sort of travelers who get excited about a self-drive safari or a backwoods camping trip. The only great thing about the resort was the Explora guide service in the lobby. They did a wonderful job with repelling, and their safety procedures were on par with those I've see in the US and Australia. I think that Explora is run out of Singapore and merely leases space from the hotel, which may account for the sharp contrast in overall quality.

Room Tip: Though the delux rooms are not terribly posh, they're probably worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank lmg25

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our work team stayed for two nights and utilized the conference rooms. Staff prepared our meals just fine location for outdoor events was great with the help of Xplora that is on the resort site and Anthony did great job coordinating us

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Normally for those adventurous enthusiast they'll stay here for a day or two before they hike Gunung Ledang or Mount Ophir . There is a fairy tales behind this beautiful mountain. Local during 50 s or before believe there is this Princess escape to this mountain to avoid married to sultan (king) . She demanded weird stuff from sultan ..

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Wai L
Reviewed 7 October 2013

When we arrived here at 2 in the morning, the security guard did let us in and took care of our check in. The first room they took us into didn't have a working AC, so they let us get the followign room.
BTW,both rooms had old room/mould stench with them, tv had no cable, toilets and facilities are at par with your cheapest philippine hotel room. Sogo Motels in manila have better rooms.

So we woke up the following morning with the intention of climbing to the falls, which we did. Not at all a long hike - bout 20 minutes. The falls was amazing and it would've ade everything worth it, except for the fact that when we checked out, we forgot my girl's wallet in the drawer. When we came back, the cleaner said that she didn't find any..hello, it would've been there..

if it's the falls your after, arrive there early, then leave before dusk, you don't need to stay there over night and suffer this crazy hotel prices - 200RM/night, i would've enjoyed staying at Johor for another night, had I known what kind of hotel you have.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank -purplevannie
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Tried email booking but received no response after repeated emails. Called the Singapore number listed on the resort website but turned out to be a wrong number. Called the Malaysia listed number but nobody seem to mann the line. Dejected, I put the idea off....

Few months later, I chance upon facebook and saw this Singapore agent taking bookings for the resort. They quoted me SG$140 for a deluxe room. I tried the calling the resort again and suprizingly, someone actually answers the phone. She quoted me RM250 for the same package. Works out to be approximately RM80 cheaper than the SG agent. Her English is very basic. There seem to be no formal way of confirming a booking when I asked her to confirm the room. She told me that she would call me back. I repeatedly asked if she would call a S'pore number and she said YES. I waited for 2 days and did not receive a call from the resort. Not wanting to waste anymore overseas call charges and taking a risk, I decided to pay the extra and confirm my booking with the SG agent.

On our arrival, check in was easy as we are the only ones staying at the deluxe room. The place is deserted, probably end of MY school holiday. Luckily there was a group of students from SG having activities around, so we did not feel too alone.

The room is very dated and old. Our towels are wet and its obvious someone just used it before us. We requested for new towels. The only good thing about the room are the 2 queen beds that makes it comfy for 2 adults and 2 kids. Other than that, paying $140 for such a room and condition is way too ex. The room does not make you want to stay a day more. As our sole purpose is the Ophir waterfall, we just make do with the place.

Breakfast was limited and edible. Nothing fancy.

This place seemed to have changed hands and probably explain why it seem disorganized. Will not return again.

Room Tip: The Standard room seems much cleaner and nicer than the deluxe room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank dyxdya12
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We drove there directly from Singapore (without any breaks in-between). It took about 3-4hrs, which included some slow traffic on E2 highway. Arrived at almost 7pm and was glad that the receptionist called 'chris' is still around... this was crucial, as 1 week earlier, we had called/emailed to book a standard room for 2 people. BEWARE! booking a room can be quite a hit-and-miss affair here; we were given a verbal confirmation by 'chris' but she was unable to provide a more confirmation via email. The resort was also unable to accept booking deposits via any means for non-malaysians.
The standard room had 2 single beds and a basic shower (i.e. nothing separates the shower from the rest of the bathroom, so everything gets wet! even the toilet paper), but was cleaner than expected. Surprisingly, no mosquito or insect problems, and the air-conditioning works very well. Resort meals are buffet-style with very local (but tasty) dishes. NO BEER sold anywhere in or within walking-distance of the resort.. and even if you were smart enough to bring some, there's no mini-fridge in the room to chill it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank skcuswt
Reviewed 7 December 2012 via mobile

This resort is probably the best place for overnight stay if you are planning to visit the Princess Waterfall of Gunung Ledang.

We are from Johor Bahru. We check-in at 19:00 hours on 6/12/12. The room (deluxe room, G110), was comfortable for my family (2 adult + 1 adolescent + 3 children). It was spacious room with balcony, air-conditioned, with two queen size beds and relatively clean. At 21:00 hrs, we had our dinner at the resort's dinning hall: the food was nice and at reasonable price.

The next day 7/12/2012 (after breakfast) at 0820 hours, we started our travelling at the foot of Gunung Ledang. The distance from resort to the Princess Waterfall is about 900ft. Travelling up was a tiring experience for my family, but interesting. We took about 45 minutes, and half-way of the journey I had to carry my 4years+ old son. We were the first group to travel on that morning, and during the journey we saw beautiful trees of the Gunung Ledang forest, and we heard beautiful forest music as well. (in my opinion the visit to this waterfall is not recommended for elderly people, heart disease patient, asthmatic, people with joint or muscular problem, children < 4 years)

We reached the Princess Waterfall at 09:05 hours. The view of this waterfall was beautiful, and the retaining pond was clean, with clear water and my children could swim in it. We were the only family at that time, and spent and hour swimming, enjoying the coolness of the waterfall, and having photographic session.

At the vicinity, there were few camping sites. But unfortunately there were a lot of rubbish scattered around the place (twistties packs, cigarettes butts, tins, plastics etc). I also saw two hungry biawak, looking for residual foods. I managed to collect all these rubbish in two plastic bags and threw it inside the empty available dustbin. I hope whoever visits this place, please keep it clean all the time.

Our return journey to the resort was less tiring (took about half an hour). Our visit to this Waterfall was a memorable one. Without overnight stay in this resort, we might not be able to visit and experience this beautiful H20fall.

• Stayed: December 2012
9  Thank ISMAIL A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tangkak
Tropicana Boutique Hotel
#10 of 13 in Muar
BEI Boutique Hotel
BEI Boutique Hotel
#3 of 13 in Muar

Been to Gunung Ledang Resort? Share your experiences!