“Clueless check-in staff but restaurant staff member Nazirah is awesome.”

Belum Rainforest Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gerik
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We arrived with no booking so you would think the Reception staff would be knowledgeable and try to sell the place. 3 staff members at the counter. 2 on the phones and one looking at a computer screen. We stood around, not even an acknowledgement that we were there. Finally one attends to us and shows us a list of the prices and types of accommodation. I ask to see any pictures of the rooms and she points to a photo album of their mock orang asli village! Check in took much longer than it should, considering the hotel was near empty.
*The Reception staff seem to stare into their computers not knowing what to do.
*The rooms were lovely. Very tasteful decor and a lovely firm bed.
* Great bathroom and loved the windows with screens giving you the option of free air or the air-con. My one concern with the rooms was no TV. Sure it's nice to be away from those things but it should be your choice.
* Breakfast was fine. Though for the price and standard of the hotel, some better quality bread besides the supermarket sliced variety, and cereals seemed to be kids type. Try some muesli or Bircher muesli for variety for adults who don't want a cooked breakfast.
* Restaurant for evening meals was lovely. Good mix of western and local. However, more vegetables need to be served with the meal.
* Swimming pool- lovely spot and pool. Manager...you need to train up your towel desk workers. I went up to them and asked for towels.They just looked at me. I said it a 2nd time and same reaction. The 3rd time I said it, I actually pointed to a towel. (Having worked in Malaysia for a number of years, I am fully aware not to use too complex a sentence in requests, but considering the guys were working on the towel desk, the word 'towel' should be familiar). Finally one of the guys works out what we want and pushes the towel towards me and they go back to the conversation.
* Lovely view of the lake and the gardens are fabulous. However, one would expect an 'eco resort' to have some walking trails but there were none.

One staff member stands out for praise. Her name is Nazirah and she worked in the restaurant at both breakfast and when we had dinner. Not only was she highly professional, she was also very convivial and made us feel very welcome. She had excellent communication skills and went beyond the norm of most employees at this resort. Nazirah, deserves to go far in her career and we hope the managers of this resort acknowledge her efforts towards the guests.

Room Tip: Be very patient checking in.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank gordiereid

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We booked a family package from their homepage for 3 adults. This was pretty good value as it was much less than room rates otherwise and included various activities. The room: as we had booked a package we got one of the most uninteresting rooms (at the back, no view) - even though the resort was almost empty! - but it was clean and nice. The shower ran out of hot water at the end unfortunately. The food: good enough buffet for breakfast and dinner, we had lunch once on a trek which was also good. I think if I had been paying full price I might have been disappointed by the food as it was good but not great. Drinking water was provided with all activities. A bar opens in the evenings. It is cash-only and overpriced. The activities: we did a night walk (very good), a half-day waterfall trek (very good, especially the boat ride where Omar our great guide spotted wildlife for us) and kayaking/bamboo rafting. These last two activities are run right from their jetty so not much choice where to go and no instructions. It would be better if they made a bigger deal out of it especially as it is not cheap. The activities are def very leisurely so not for adventure-seekers and co. The resort: nicely done, very nice pool but very close to the bridge where timber-loaded trucks thunder across (can be heard from most places in the resort) and also backs onto the road. There is a high power line running across and as I suffer from pressure headaches my head hurt almost the whole time. The staff are all friendly. When we were there it was very empty (good for us as they were more flexible with activities programme). Overall OK with a package but not worth full rates.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Ronaele_N
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was not really a part of the original itinerary that my husband and I prepared for our 12-day vacation in Malaysia but my dear friend in Malaysia suggested a night's stay here before we proceed to our next destination, George Town. It was indeed a perfect suggestion as we had been traveling and driving around and it was a perfect place to recharge and re-energize.

The resort is beautifully designed and landscaped with utmost consideration to its natural surroundings (e.g., use of wooden floors and big windows from which you can enjoy the views of the lake and the forest).

The resort offers river cruises, tours into the forests, and other outdoor activities but since we are staying for a night only, we decided to simply rest and enjoy the grounds of the resort and our big room.

The place has a nice infinity pool as well although we haven't tried it so we won't know if the water is partially heated (after all, it is in the middle of a forest so it can get cold in December-February). Nevertheless, from the looks of the swimmers when we dropped by, they seem to be having a great time out there. The view from the pool is also perfect. You can just carry a book and sit under one of the shaded areas and the experience can be equally enjoyable.

The rooms are nice although some parts are in need of renovation/refurbishing and re-painting. What we immensely enjoyed in the room is the day bed by the big windows! You can just read a book and sleep there forever! :)

If given the chance, we will certainly go back here and stay a bit longer (say, 2-3 days) so we can enjoy the river cruise and short trek to the forests.

Room Tip: Request reception to give you a room with a nice view of the lake and the forest. I am not sure if t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Byaherang_Pinay
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

This is my 2nd trip here and boy was there plenty of development since my last trip a few years back. New villas, an infinity pool and a private dining area to mention a few. It was unfortunate that the rain was pouring on our visit. All outdoor activities were called off and we had to be confined in our rooms. It was dissapointing that the hotel did not conjure up any indoor activities in the event of poor weather. Fortunately we invested slightly more in the executive deluxe room with satelite tv channels. The superior rooms was not equipped with TVs. The nearest town is Gerik which is an hour's drive away. There's a nearby jetty with limited stalls serving less than hygenic food. We were in fact looking forward to the buffet as dinner as we wondered how to make full use of our time. To our bitter dissapointment, we were informed that the buffet dinner was cancelled due to low occupancy. Hmm...this is getting from bad to worse. Not that the food served at the restaurant was anything to shout about. We brought our own snacks and beverage and had good company to pull through the night. Room service was only till 10:30pm.

The next morning we had the chance to tour the lake with the improved weather. The rm50 charge per head for the trip is not cheap as it turned out to be uneventful. But at least we got to spend some meaningful time for what the resort could offer.

As a conclusion, I felt that this place is more suited for team building activities where the resort will organize and cater for the large group of people. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice place, remotely situated and away from the hussle and bussle of big cities.
I have enjoyed my stay but will be reluctant to come back a 3rd time unless my company decides to sponsor another team building event here :)

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Yellow toilet seat, broken pieces of room floor, cracked walls aside, totally enjoyable stay until an irate head chef had a hissy fit when I took a piece of cheese from buffet out of the restaurant as opposed to stuffing my face with it. Unable to finish the piece of rich cheese I decided to, instead of putting it back on buffet cheese platter, wrap it in a napkin for later. Did not realise prying eyes were on guard to catch a food thief in the act! For God's sake! Long story short, did not want to make a scene, took it out into the garden, called manager, explained, as if I needed to, at least he got it, and all was settled with the explanation that "No, no, no Belum Rainforest Resort is not strict." Come on, as far as I am concerned, if I was a "kuai lou" no issue whatsoever. Staff probably would not even dare approach the traveller! Tan Sri Mustaffar, although I know you are a no nonsense man in the corpoate world, is this not overboard in more ways than one?

Room Tip: Find another resort!
Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank roccolim168
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I recently stayed in Belum Forest Resort for 2 daya and was intriged by the exceptional service my family received. In particular by ms Manjula, who made us feel welcome and ensured we were comfortable. Thank you my dear If there is anyone looking for an english speaking service, Manjula is fantastic. To nature lovers, the view from Belum is beyond words and a must visit for all nature lovers and anyone who wants to get back to nature and away from our busy busy lifestyle.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank vanidah
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Was adhoc plan 2 Adults & 4 kids and 1 nite stay stopping by for our East coast to West trip (KB to Grik). The hotel was neat & nice. Again as adhoc - Took 1 day Temengor Walk/trip - was awesome experience for kids - learned the rainforest story like elephant salt lick etc. Org asli visit also was nice.

The hotel was nice & food also good. The staffs were friendly & ready for any services.

The problem was only the check in counter - was 1 person only during my check in & check out.

The price for me quite over rated even the hotel & nice. Understood some rooms with no TV. Should have TV as per published rate.

Room Tip: Use online booking via their web site.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank CabioTAR
rkbashah, Manager at Belum Rainforest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at our Resort. We are delighted to see your comments about our perfect amenities and has been notified that our team was able to exceed your expectations. With regards to our reception, we will ensure that there will be sufficient manning stationed. Thank you once again for posting your review, we look forward to your return visit! Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerik
Mandarin Betong
0 mi away
Belum Adventure Camp
Belum Adventure Camp
#1 of 3 in Gerik

Been to Belum Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!