“Hostel Luna”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Esteli
Luna International Hostel
Ranked #10 of 22 Speciality Lodging in Esteli
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Recently, I stayed at Hostel Luna for the second time (10 months apart). Owing to major rainstorms and flooding, I was unable to continue on to my destination for several days, so I ended up staying at the hostel for a week. The hostel is located two streets NE of Parque Central, one street N of the cathedral. The place is not fancy, but it is clean, and the people are wonderful. The owner Jane (Juanita) has a group of excellent employees who are well-treated and love their jobs. Several of them are actively involved in community development projects, mostly in Miraflor Reserve. Most of those who visit are young, backpacker types because most of the beds are in three dormitory-style rooms. I think they are about $8/night. There are two rooms ($14/night) with private baths (great showers), one in the hostel and one across the street in Café Luz. I stayed in both rooms. The one in the hostel is smaller, but it is more convenient to the courtyard and quieter than the one in Café Luz. There are nice chairs and tables in the courtyard for reading or accessing WiFi. It is convenient to wash and dry clothes as well. The same WiFi is accessible across the street at Café Luz. Coffee is free to occupants all day long, and it is convenient to carry food and drinks from café to hostel. The food at Café Luz is excellent and inexpensive, so I ate most breakfasts and dinners in the café. I repeat—Hostel Luna is inexpensive, very clean, and the people are wonderful. I love the place, and I am a 66-year-old gringo.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Luna International Hostel

Reviewed 10 August 2011

I enjoyed my time at Luna and I recommend it, though it had its problems. Those first: it is incredibly loud, because of the street, their bar across the street, and the young kids running around. The common area doesn't make you want to talk to other travelers and, if I didn't mention it, the dorms are so darned loud. I got sick for 3 days from eating their Nacatamale.

Still, I give it four stars because the people care about the place, the water refill is run on the honesty policy, the restaurant is good other than the food poisoning I happened to get, the bathrooms and other facilities are clean, it's safe, and the man who organizes tours is a hard worker and very knowledgable. I wish it just wasn't so unbelievably loud.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The staff is friendly and helpful, the big dorm is clean, the beds/mattrasses are of good quality. Unfortunately it is too noisy to sleep at night or in the morning due to the Cafe Luz and particularly the gym at the corner next door, which opens at 5am - the walls don't go all the way up to the ceiling, so you'll hear everything. The "free" organic coffee (plenty of water with coffee flavor) that you get across the street is really bad. The hostel is simply overpriced for Nicaragua (USD 8,-- for a dorm bed) and lacks charm, no kitchen, you have to pay extra for drinking water or towels, the WIFI is very slow. There are only two toilets and showers for the whole hostel so prepare to wait. The Cafe Luz has some decent food, especially the eggplant dish was good, don't order any coffee. I definitely would not stay there againe or recommend this place, you will find better options for less money in Esteli.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2010

We stayed in a room in the back of Café Luz across the street since Hospedaje Luna was full, but the actual hostel appeared clean and well-kept. Loved having the Info Más Info office on site at Luna to book our amazing homestay with a family at Miraflor. The man who helped us with our Miraflor arrangements, Ariel, was a delight to talk to and a great help.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2010

This was a mistake – I’m a mid-range traveller and this is a hostel – so we are not made for one another even though I stayed in one of the private rooms. It doesn’t live up to its Lonely Planet billing (is it true that owners pay to be LP’s “pick”?) and although its café across serves good food, the coffee lets it down, and the area is very noisy at night. All in all, this place was my one mistake in Nicaragua and I wish I’d chosen more wisely, especially as Esteli is such a lovely little town with excellent accommodation choices.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2010

very clean hostel, great price, nice people but very noisy due to it';s location across for La Luz cafe - which is a fabulous eating place but caters to a late night crowd with live music - no problem for young travelers but not great for small children needing sleep!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2010

While the hostel was full and we weren't able to stay there, we were absolutely surprised by the kindness of the owner. She spent at least an hour with us, answering our questions, and showing us other possibilities for private lodging in town.

She is a busy woman, and we are not recommend you bother her with such things, but we were so impressed, we had to recommend Hotel Luna and Cafe Luz.

Also note: she has a house in which she rents out rooms to mature renters; very affordable. Inquire about it when on site.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple