“I Think I´ll Pass”
Review of Hostal El Meson

Hostal El Meson
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Esteli
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed at Hotel El Meson last week with my family. I was excited at first, due to the price being pretty good and relatively close to the center area. I live in Nicaragua and have been here for a few years, so my standards are relatively relaxed (I don´t expect the moon). At any rate, I had my wife call to book the reservation for her, my son, and myself the day before.

The next day, I showed up first as my wife was in another city. At first they were completely confused and thought that I would be in a different room than my wife, huh? Affter the confusion was cleared, they went to put me in room 12, which was appropriate for 3 people (more than one bed). The owner unlocked the door and told me to go in and make sure it was good. Well, someone else was staying in the room!

I told him, we went back to the counter, and he called another one of the owners and 20 minutes later, we were off to room 14. No one in there this time...whewww! The room was dark, low ceilings, had a bad odor, and the air condition that I paid extra for, was more or less a fan as there was no cooling ability to it. The whole time we were here, we all had the sense that we were being watched by the staff. We would sit on the patio, and the staff continuously walked by as if we were bing inspected. When we walked in, we were looked at suspiciously each time.

The hotel has more of an office feel to it and not very welcoming. You can tell there has been no reinvestment into this business, if any, for I would say 15-20 years. Very disorganized and this included the courtyard garden area. They built a room directly in the center and it completely takes from the atmosphere and makes everything seem very cramped.

Oh, and to also add, we stayed in room 14, and if you are expecting to get WiFi, forget about staying in this room...not going to happen.

At any rate, if you want to stay somewhere ¨cheap¨, and don´t expect any sort of atmosphere or need WiFi, and don´t mind being looked at like you just robbed a bank....this is the place for you. Perhaps a good place to crash, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Stay close to the front or no WiFi....and make sure you check the rooms to make sure you aren´t goin...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Y0urHighness
There are newer reviews for Hostal El Meson

Reviewed 20 March 2013

I have stayed at El Meson on four occasions in 2009 and 2013 totalling about 10 days. It is very well priced for an ensuite room with TV and firm bed, very conveniently located and very clean. It has a nice central garden which is partly spoilt by a shed. Note that the related photo on trip advisor's heading is out of date. In contrast to one other review I have never had a problem with noise and the absence of breakfast is largely irrelevant as you can go to the next corner for a very good one. The negative point is that it can be difficuly to make the night porter hear when you come back late. The external door is locked at about 10pm.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed here just one night i was passing through on my way to Honduras and i went downtown and i said to myself ''yes , this is what i'm looking for" , friendly staff, the price is ok 7$ clean , they give you a towel, hot water in the shower, wi-fi, excellent location, i mean, in downtown the cathedral is just around the corner.

Room Tip: ask for a lock
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2012

well... we stayed there for 2 nights. the first night we had a confortable double ensuite with tv and fan: it wasn't luxury but not bad for the price and quiet. the second night ( apparently it was fully booked) we stayed in what they called dorm, which is in fact more of a converted kitchenette with one hospital bed and one camping bed and not much space to move. the mattresses were in very bad conditions. one very small fan, too high up to do anything. the shared toilets were a bit cramped but the showers were nicer and spacious.
If you go there, get a private room!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at Hotel El Meson on our recent trip to Esteli. It is attractive and centrally located within easy walking distance of good restaurants and with the best souvenir shop in town right across the street. Our room was clean and had a shower with the capacity for hot water, definitely a nice option not always found in Nicaragua. The central courtyard has murals and a very pleasant sitting area. The staff was friendly and helpful and always available to open the door for us in the late evening or early morning. The owner is a Rotarian and the lobby is decorated with banners from visiting Rotarians from around the world. There is also a weekly Rotary meeting at the hotel. The only unusual thing about staying there is that at night you will hear the local security officers using whistles to signal to each other as they make their rounds at night. Once I found out what that was about, it was a comfortingly familiar sort of sound, sort of like the town crier saying "Ten o'clock and all is well..." We will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hostel is nicely located with basic rooms. The beds are quite saggy and the sheets too small to fit. The courtyard is nice and quiet - hot electric shower and wifi available. The staff at the front desk can range from extremely friendly to very lethargic. Average for the price...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hostel was full so we were directed to Hotel Meson, which also filled up within a few hours.
The room was spacious, with good light, bathroom with hot shower, towels. The people were kind and helpful, let us out at 5:30 a.m. We just needed an overnight stay before heading out to Miraflor. Don't miss Miraflor. Plan on staying there for two to three days.

Room Tip: we were on the ground floor and it was fine.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esteli
Hotel Los Arcos
#2 of 6 in Esteli
Hotel Cuallitlan
Hotel Cuallitlan
#3 of 6 in Esteli

Been to Hostal El Meson? Share your experiences!