“Idyllic place run by wonderful people”
Review of Finca Lindos Ojos

Finca Lindos Ojos
Ranked #4 of 20 Esteli B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Katharina and Gene are a fascinating couple. We did not see Katharina as much because she was working part of the time, but spent a lot of time with Gene, who is engaging, kind, interesting, iconoclastic, real, honest, intelligent and down-to-earth. He told me that they do their best at the finca, and it shows. The cabins are roomy and clean, with a deck with chairs and hammock where we lounged and talked to Marcial (sp?), one of his employees, who also gave us a tour of the coffee operation. We loved speaking Spanish with him. His mother was kidnapped during the war while pregnant with him and her life was spared only because she was pregnant. There is a menagerie of cats, dogs, ducks, a goose, horses and a cow (I'm sure I've forgotten something). The weather, including temperature, was perfect while we were there--only a couple of mornings were foggy, and it quickly burned off. One of their daughters (very mature and kind, like them) led us on a horseback ride (super-gentle horses) to a stunning waterfall. The place is full of exotic birds and plants, and the food is healthy and plentiful. Everyone bends over backwards to make sure you have what you need and they make you feel like it is your home too. Gene picked us up in Leon and shared his wealth of information about Nicaragua along the way. The area is absolutely gorgeous. This was the experience of a lifetime and you won't forget these people,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Babs226

Reviewed 27 January 2013

I've had several friends stay at this wonderful finca, and decided to make a last minute trip with my boyfriend for a long weekend. I had no idea what I was in store for. Gene picked us up from town (after patiently sorting through some arrival confusion) and drove us up to his farm through 3 different climate zones, informing us about the plants we passed, the history of the region, and local practices. He stopped whenever we wanted to take pictures, and pointed out several picturesque spots that he thought we would find interesting.

We arrived to cabins shrouded in mist -- a beautiful, low-impact farm full of dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, and horses. Our cabin was simple, but immaculate, and the beds were incredible. Every multi-course that Gene and his staff made were incredible -- hearty, healthy, and delicious. The conversations that we had over dinner with Gene and his amazing wife, Katharina we some of the most stimulating that I have had in a long while.

We only had one full day there, and we spent it hiking to the waterfall, accompanied by two of the farm's dogs. It was a beautiful walk, and though the water was cold and we got conned into going into the wrong entrance, we had a fantastic time. The views that we encountered along the way were stunning. Afterwards, we sat on our porch and marveled at the mists and fog which rolled across the landscape.

Be sure to bring plenty of warm clothes and rain gear. Though it may seem incredibly hot in other parts of the country, it can get downright chilly here. I would highly recommend this magical place to anyone looking for peace and quiet in the mountains. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ygh81
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My visit was a last minute decision. I called on the spur of the moment as the family were preparing to leave their home in Esteli for a week at the farm with friends. They were near full capacity but made room for me to have one of the cosy cottages for myself. In the mornings I opened the door to the blowing mists of the cloud forest swirling and dancing around the hills. A few hours later the vista is transformed to blazing sun and deep green jungle. Sit for a few moments and the view changes again. Fresh roasted and home grown coffee delivered in a teeming mug to my door ( food and service is great but coffee on my own deck does not usually come with an all inclusive package- this was a secret deal between me and my little buddy, a fellow guest) . I know Gene would have brought me a cup too, but being a Canadian, I would have felt way too "precious". I am an older woman travelling alone and felt very safe and included. I had not planned on this kind of climate with the cool evenings and occasional wet days and wished for the proper foot wear in the mud that can be an issue in a wet climate. Bring socks, good gripping shoes or boots and a warm sweater and rain wear. ( a bit of Nicaraguan rum wouldnt hurt either)
I was recently recovered from knee replacements but decided on a horse back ride anyway. My horse was gentle and kind and open to direction from me to keep it slow and steady... thoughtful guide who made sure the pace and speed of the ride met my needs, but still found a way to make my short ride eventful . We stopped in on friends for coffee, who live a simple campo life and are glad to share what they have; especially their home grown coffee! This is organic coffee country where coffee is grown sustainably; and people are very proud of their own special blends... heaven for me. Goodbye Starbucks! I have arranged for coffee from Nicaragua with no chemicals used in roasting, to be sent to me in Canada at a fraction of the price, and unlike anything I have tasted before. Thank you Finca Lindos Ojos! Hope to see you again when my Husband arrives later this month.

Room Tip: The cottages are identical as far as I know and far enough apart to not hear or be affected by one...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank enfermera13
lindosojos, Manager at Finca Lindos Ojos, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

hi again. thank you also very much for your stay, we had so interesting conversations and we hope to meet you again at our farm. Good idea though the coffee to the room service, we will make that a custom.
all the best katharina

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I spent a weekend there with 2 other friends and it was great. The hosts were really nice, always helpful and concerned about what they could do to improve the time that guests spent there. The food was amazing, a really great typical breakfast, followed by a hearty lunch and dinner was definitely the best!

We had lots of fun horseback riding, especially with a really playful horse that loved to gallop and have fun with the rider. I had never been to Esteli, but want to come back to spend more time there and stay in Lindos Ojos!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alvaro_Aguero
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I went to Finca Lindos Ojos with some co-workers and what an experience we had! Not only were the rooms and beds comfortable, but the food was amazing. Gene and Katerina are such a sweet couple with a huge heart. They instantly make you feel at home and treat you as family. We ate Gene's awesome fusion cooking all with ingridients from the farm and had a tour of their farm located in the cloud forest. You can request a hot shower too which is a plus after being in Nicaragua 2 1/2 months without one! Overall a great experience and I hope I can make it back soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Melanie W
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Part of a coworker weekend getaway we visited the finca for a night. Instantly Katharina and Gene made us feel right at home. The food was amazing and plentiful for our 14 person group. The mountain scenery was perfect; hiking by day, bonfire at night. We even had the added luxury of a hot shower which was a pleasant unexpected bonus. Visiting the nearby waterfall, horseback riding, and relaxing on the hammock are must-do's. Don't forget your bugspray!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andrea G
Reviewed 24 June 2012

From the start of our stay, when Gene and Katharina picked us up in Esteli for the one hour ride to their farm over very rough roads (they were concerned our taxi wouldn't make it - they were right) to the transfer to the airport in Managua three days later (Gene moved heaven and earth to get us there on time for our flight - an epic adventure that needs another page to explain) my wife and I were treated like family. We were fascinated by Gene's amazing stories and impressed by his terrific cooking! The farm and surroundings are absolutely beautiful with abundant plant and animal life. We spent hours walking and horseback riding on trails through the forests and nearby tiny villages in the mountains while accompanied by their excellent guide Marciel. The cabins, while comfortable, are very basic so if fancy accommodations with lots of amenities are what you are looking for, this is not the place for you. If super attentive and fascinating hosts, great food, amazing nature and unique culture in a very far off the beaten path location is what you appreciate, then this is a place to seriously consider. If you are a birder, the three wattled bellbird is present in abundance!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esteli
Hotel Hex Esteli
Finca Neblina del Bosque
Finca Neblina del Bosque
#10 of 20 in Esteli
Bed and Breakfast Villa Riviera

Been to Finca Lindos Ojos? Share your experiences!