“Beautiful views and a rustic get-away”

Reserva Natural Miraflor
Book In Advance
More Info
US$230.00*
and up
Overnight: Somoto Canyon and Miraflor Natural Reserve from León
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Esteli
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I enjoyed taking the local bus to the farmlands in the mountains of Miraflores. I arrived on a Friday afternoon and took a nice walk on the road enjoying the views of mountains and farms. I stayed with a family, arranged in town (Esteli), who cooked three typical Nica meals for me. Saturday, I walked up the long road on my own. Others got a guide which does support local work, however if you are seeking time alone in nature, it is more than fine to go it alone.

2  Thank Jennifer P
"love nature"
"last minute"
"milking cows"

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Great opportunity to visit a unique place and stay with local families, $20 per person including 3 meals and basic accomodation. Fantastic views and an unforgettable experience!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Reminder yourself it can be cold up here and very muddy.
Very nice walk and beautiful surroundings.
You can go here by yourself by chickenbus

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Homestay is not for everyone. If you are looking for creature comforts it's not the thing for you but if you want to spend some time with a local family, help the local economy and really feel like you've been to the mountain I highly recommend it. I opted to explore the Reserve by horseback and really enjoyed spending the time talking with the guide. I made my arrangements last minute and all worked out fine although I do speak Spanish. If you don't but schedule at least a few days ahead I understand English speaking guides can be arranged. I went through Treehuggers associated with Cafe Luz.They have a list of homes that offer lodging in different communities and can arrange for guides for various activities.

1  Thank Wile_E1
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I recently decided to check out Miraflor and one thing I was slightly worried about was my very basic Spanish. I ended up staying with Mayra and Marlon who made me feel very welcome. They provided a nice room, large delicous family style meals, and plenty of friendly interaction including inviting me to a family members birthday party. I cant say enough good things about them and would recommend them to anyone especially those that have limited spanish.

One of the guides local to this area, Nelson, also speaks basic English and can give very informative tours. He is also one of the bird specialists in Miraflor and even though we werent focused on birding he was able to spot a squirrel cuckoo and the national bird, a blue crowned motmot.

If you want to see Miraflor but are afraid of a possible communication issue definitely ask about booking with Mayra and Marlon/Nelson.

3  Thank Tyler M