“A fantastic idea!”
Review of Cerza Safari Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hermival-les-Vaux
Cerza Safari Lodge
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I offered my boyfriend a two day stay at the safari lodge for his birthday. We stay at a Zoobservatory. It's a kind of tiny hut with a kitchenette, small bathroom with shower, a small bedroom upstairs with steep and narrow stairs plus a terrace with splendid view on the land where animals such as rinoceros, wallabies, siamangs and deers run free or practically free. There are goats, pigs and pelicans in the back garden as well. I've visited many zoo's in my life but this one was definitely the largest and the most green and natural place for the animals. There are bungalows for larger families or yourtes. The Zoobservatory I would only advice for skinny and/or small people. There is no shower gel nor a hair dryer available, so bring your own. If you cannot stand the heat, may I note there is no fan nor airconditioning in these huts so it can get pretty warm in the bedroom upstairs. In the bungalows there seems to be climate control. The breakfast is terribly simple (bread, cornflakes, jam, coffee) and costs 7€ so up to you to see whether it's worth it. I would just buy things from the supermarket and eat it in my lodge.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cats9000

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The reviews here were very good but I couldn't get enough information from the Cerza website to book without first calling to confirm some things.
A British woman on the phone was very supportive and told me that the stairs were gated, a cot could be provided, high-chair, etc, so everything le need for a toddler-proof two nights in the park.
The lodges looked nice on the website and were sold as eco lodges.

Misleading to say the least.
The lodges were old, not ready on arrival, wet floors, no insulation, air-conditioning/heating unit needed to run all night to stay warm enough (in June!).
There was no stair gate or cot. I went back to reception to ask for these and the British woman there said that they were not requested. I told her that they were booked on phone when I spoke with her a month earlier. She claimed there are two British woman there so it must have been the other one. The cot was delivered quite fast when requested and a stair gate turned up a few hours later and was installed (and broken) by the maintenance man. We told home to leave it how it was because we just wanted our privacy and to go to the zoo.

We arrived on a Sunday and had nothing for the breakfast the following day. We asked the lady at check-in if there was something available, a shop nearby, etc. She said she could arrange a bread for us, two croissants, etc and we paid for these. The next morning, I went to collect them and they had just been given to someone else. The young guy ran off after that other guest to get them back. While he was gone I noticed people eating a buffet breakfast in the adjacent room. I asked about it. No, that had to be booked yesterday. But the woman we asked about breakfast told us nothing of it! What the...?

The kitchen in the lodges has no cupboard doors so toddlers can pull everything out and go wild with the pans. The plates and stuff are in a cupboard under the TV also at kid height. We blocked that with a suitcase.
The bathroom is very substandard and results in a wet floor throughout after a shower. There is a towel drier but it doesn't do much and doesn't make sense in an Eco lodge. We left thinking the Eco in the description was short for economy not ecology.

Overall, the price was far too high for what you get. The only appealing part of staying here was the Wallabies.

We wont be back and all of my friends who I raved on about this place to before I went, I take it all back. Don't go. I'm sorry that I told you about it before I actually went.

Three stars because it is still acceptable if you want this sort of holiday. I reserve two stars for really bad and 1 star for terrible.

Room Tip: The lodges are without doubt the best they have but even these don't meet the standards of many...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank NamparaCove
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed here for two nights, great welcome and had a great view over looking the monkeys. Was lovely sitting on the balcony at night watching the animals wandering around. Then in the morning how the rhino just wanders out for the day. Lovely please to visit and even nicer if you get the chance to stay.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Have just returned from a fabulous break at Cerza zoological park. This holiday booked through 'Four Seasons' is great value for money.The park is wonderful,very clean and the animals are kept in very large enclosures which mirror their natural habitat. there are two walking routes around the park and one route taken by an overland 'train'. This trip last almost 30 mins and gives a good view of the animals. the facilities in the park are good ,spacious clean restaurants and outside eating areas. The safari park is open to the general public but is not overcrowded.
The accomodation is either safari lodges, yurts or observatories.This is good accomodation basic, clean but with everything you need for a comfortable stay.This part of the park is for staying guests only and is car free, the wallabies, pot bellied pigs and deer roam freely around the park and the children,and adults, can feed them. The site is very quiet and relaxing, we went as family group with my 8 year old granddaughter who was sorry to leave.Thev privilege tour which has a maximum of 6 people allows you to get close to the rhinoceros and other animals, learn about feeding and also the international wildlife programmes thepark are part of. Although this resort has mostly french visitors the reception area is staffed by an English woman and some of the guides speak english.
The safari park is close to the town of Lisieux with good supermarkets and shops and only 4 kilometers away is the lovely village of Moyaux with a very good restaurant and creperie.
We took the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen and then it is just about and hours easy drive from the port.
I really recommend trying this resort, four seasons who we booked through were very efficient and helpful and I,the grandmother of the group, certainly look forward to a return trip

Room Tip: We were in lodge 26 which is right at the end of the road and overlooks the pelican lake and a very...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Bev1946
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We took our 16 year old daughter and 7 year old son. I would recommend the privilege and "Who eats what?" experiences. The animals are kept in spacious enclosures and the parc contributes towards international wildlife welfare programmes.

It was so relaxing waking up to a view of monkeys, rhino and gazelles. If going with another family ask for a lodge by the pelican playground as the lodges are in a semi circle over looking the playground.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marmite43
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Cerza Safari Lodge team wishes to thank all the english visitors for coming to Cerza. It's a pleasure for us to greet english speaking clients who are always happy, pleasant and sympathic.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I took a group of disabled adults to the lodges (we had 3 of them) following a mailshot, and I'm so glad we did. The accomodation had views across the park, with a lake of pelicans right in front of our verandas. Wallabies, pot belly pigs and muntjac deer wander freely around, and the rhinos and baboons can be seen also. Once you have paid the park entry fee, you can wander in and out of the zoo as many times as you wish - and you'll certainly want to visit more than once.
The animals have plenty of space and are well kept and healthy.
There are a few restaurants on site, if you don't want to cook (we ate in one on the last day - food was good and reasonably priced) but most of the time we cooked in the lodges.
Equipment is fairly basic, but with everything we needed. There are only 2 hobs in the kitchen, but there is also a microwave, and we managed to cook for 12 with no problems, using 2 of the lodge kitchens.
There are plenty of other interesting places within a short drive, if you don't want to stay on the park all week - just wish it had been around when my own children were younger!

Room Tip: All lodges were good, also have yurts and some observatories - ask for one at the front overlooking...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jacames2016
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We have visited Cerza twice now (2010 and 2012) and will certainly be booking to return again. We travelled as a young family with a babe-in-arms and our young daughter and cannot fault our experiences here. The lodges are situated in a peaceful and tranquil setting overlooking Cerza Safari Parc, so you have entertainment on hand (courtesy of the animals!) as well as a handy base for all the delights Northern France has to offer. Whilst they are simply furnished they nonetheless provide you with everything you need for a self-catering holiday.
The staff are excellent in every respect and the environmental ethos of the place is also a plus.
Book a stay, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: The best lodge depends on what you are looking for. The lower numbers overlook 'monkey island...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nathalie B

Been to Cerza Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!