“Homely and Friendly”

Ranked #2 of 2 Tregarth B&B and Inns
Tyne and Wear
“Homely and Friendly”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Tregarth Homestay is an interesting place to stay in that it is not the normal kind of B&B accommodation you would expect. The hosts Peter and Kathleen were very friendly and Breakfast time was an opportunity to get to know them and their guests as we shared the experience in their kitchen diner. Although the room I had was not en suite and didn't expect it for the amazing price I paid, I had my own personal bathroom of a very good standard with a supply of good quality bathrobes if I needed them. The Lounge was a welcoming place to sit and although I only managed to start a book from the large library, I did enjoy a more unusual DVD from the extensive collection. There is a shared kitchen for tea and coffee making facilities and as a point of feedback maybe the milk issue needs a bit of tweaking. The peaceful village of Tregarth may seem a bit remote for some but it is closer to major road links than one would think. It was an ideal location for me as it was near the A5, the facilities of Bethesda and had short cut routes to Caernarfon. The recommendations I received of places to eat at night were reasonably priced and outstanding that I returned to both places. Given the opportunity of being in the area again, Tregarth Homestay would the place I would look up first.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank J_on_tour1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Great location to venture out to Snowdon and all the lovely beaches and villages near by.
Lovely breakfast & we were made to feel very welcome. Highly reccomended.

Room Tip: Try to book direct
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I booked this hotel as a last minute decision, I was attracted by its price and location. Upon arrival, the owner kindly picked me up from the coach station (prior arrangements required) and I spent remainder of the evening having pleasant talks with the owner, they are very interesting and friendly. The bedroom was cosy, clean and comfy, bathroom were clean, nice shower/bathtub, it made me feel like home. If you are travelling without a car, the B&B is of within easy access to Bangor, where you can then hop on to a bus which then takes you to anywhere you want to visit whilst enjoying the peaceful and beautiful views on the road. However, do check the bus timetable with the owner / by the bus station when planning your day.

Common room was tidy, enjoyed my afternoon with a pot of tea, a book and the beautiful view outside the window. Breakfast was cooked to order, very delicious. The guests were very quite, lots of information leaflets can be picked up from the B&B.

Room Tip: Call the owner if ur in doubt, they r very helpfu.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sally1987
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Despite booking in almost 3 hours late Kathleen and Peter were the perfect hosts.They gave me a comprehensive tour of the house and facilities and offered to book a local hostelry for my evening meal.The room was clean,comfortable and well furnished.The lounge was spacious and comfortable.The power shower was modern and the temperature control was very precise.The ample full breakfast was beautifully cooked and the views from the dining room were magnificent.The tea and coffee making facilities were very good and there was plenty of fresh milk available. The free wifi was fast and easily accessed. I would certainly use this hotel again.Thank you for making my short stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: Very close to Bangor and the North Wales castles..
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Tregarth, Owner at Tregarth Homestay B&B, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
Thank you Gerald for such a flattering review! We enjoyed meeting you and hope to see you again soon. Peter & Kahtleen
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2011

This was my fourth stay at Tregarth Homestay B & B. The warm welcome, wonderful hospitality provided by Kathleen and Peter each and every visit makes the Homestay a definite must return to spot on travels in North Wales.
I've enjoyed the use of two different rooms while at the B and B. Both were very comfortable and provided a nice view of the area.
If you are using public transportation to get around, Kathleen and Peter make it easy to reach their B and B by providing a lift from/to the Bangor Train Station. The local bus #7 runs regularly and it is only about a 15 minute trip from Bangor. Conwy, Llandudno, Caernarfon, Penryn Castle are all easily accessible using public transport.
Peter and Kathleen are excellent at offering tips on what to see, where to go, how to get there. I have been invited by the Coleman's to attend an Eisteddfod, a symphony by the Welsh National Orchestra and a presentation on bird watching. None of which I may have participated in without their local knowledge.
Each visit has also included a trip to somewhere in North Wales that would have been difficult to do on my own and with public transportation (Portmeirion, Betws-y-Coed, the Ogwyn Valley, Llanberis to name a few ).
The B & B itself has a comfortable tv room with lots of reading material on the area, a little kitchen for your use and a laundry facility.
I enjoy most the sense of home away from home and friendship offered by Peter and Kathleen. I least like not being able to return more often.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Chester03
Tregarth, Owner at Tregarth Homestay B&B, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Thank you Blaise for such a wonderful review! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay; it was good to see you again.

Peter & Kathleen
Caerphilly
Reviewed 3 March 2011

A very useful place for those of us who believe that there is not a single good place to stay in Bangor itself! The owners can't do enough for you, and their attention to detail is excellent. It's also good to have your own kitchenette to make drinks etc. It should be noted, though, that the rooms are not en-suite (although this is no problem - there are two bathrooms for guests' use, both excellent).

A couple of minor niggles were that the room was very cold - although to be fair, there was a notice saying that we could request heating to be switched on, and a blanket was provided - and the TV remote did not work.

But overall, an excellent night's stay and just 10 minutes' drive from Bangor.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Tregarth, Owner at Tregarth Homestay B&B, responded to this review, 6 March 2011
Hello Caerphilly,

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon. Sorry about the little problems; yes, it was a bitterly cold night ( as we discovered in the morning!) and yes, we would have been happy to have given you an extra heater had you asked. The faulty TV has been replaced (we didn't know there was a problem until we read your review). For future reference, one of our double rooms is en-suite, fore which we charge a slightly higher rate.

Peter & Kathleen
Lancashire
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We can only echo the reviews already made on here.
Peter and Kathleen were Superb Hosts who really put themselves out for us, making sure we had everything we needed in order to make our stay enjoyable, comfortable and indeed memorable. The Homestay idea is superb and gives guests that extra flexibility to make use of these facilities if they need them. It is a real boost being able to make something simple to eat in the accommodation, which is what we did. The breakfast was lovely and set us up for the day. The kindness of Peter and Kathleen was a model of ideal hospitality coupled with genuine sincerity in the guests welfare. We can't thank them enough. What sold this for us was all these wonderful reviews which are well deserved.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank micris54
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tregarth
Premier Inn Bangor Hotel
#1 of 4 in Bethesda
Joys of Life
Joys of Life
#1 of 3 in Bethesda

Been to Tregarth Homestay B&B? Share your experiences!