“Home away from home”

Ranked #10 of 365 B&Bs / Inns in Hakuba-mura
Perth, Australia
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Myself and my partner originally booked to stay for 5 nights at Asuka. We fell in love with the place and ended up coming back for another 4 days in the new year.
Tristan, kim and Ya-chan are incredible hosts, going out of their way to make you feel at home, and picking you up from the info centre when you've missed the bus.
The drying room had plenty of room, the daily drop offs to the onsens, atm and grocery store well organised and kims hot breakfasts (included in the room price) were amazing.
The knowledge these guys have of the local restaurants is extensive and makes finding a place for dinner easy.
We're already planning our next trip and will recommend the lodge to all our friends. Thanks to the team for making our trip so memorable!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Jasabelle86

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I am a complete novice when it comes to international travel, so I left all the arrangements to my brother, trusting that he wouldn't book some dive for us to stay in. When we arrived in the middle of the night after almost 20hrs of travel, I was chuffed with what I laid my eyes on. A lodge semi built into the landscape! It was toasty warm inside and oh my god, the floors are heated!

A few hrs kip and it was up for breakfast. Continental and every morning a different hot breakfast cooked to order... yes please :)

A tour of the lodge showed us the dry room & separate boot storage, washing machine & dryer, board waxing service, movie room with a large collection of DVDs and an Xbox and the general common / dining room that comfortably seats 20 people on a range of leather lounges, beanbags and rocking dining chairs (awesome). TV and WIFI to chill out with at the end of a hectic day on the slopes. Also you're quite welcome to cook your own meals in the industrial kitchen

We were walking distance to the Happo Gondola and from the common room window you can people watch all day. A free shuttle that ran to other mountains and you can pretty much ski/board back to the front door of the lodge.

20 mins walk and you get yourself down to the info centre and supermarket. There are plenty of places to stop and eat or have a drink on the way, but if you don't feel like trekking, they guys offer a shuttle run in the evening to the onsen, ATM & supermarket.... pretty good hey!!

Rooms are comfy and clean, sadly I found my bed was way too hard, but that was only me, no one else had any trouble. Housekeeping daily.

What really made it a great experience was the staff. Ya Chan, Tristan, Kim & Adam are bloody fantastic. They all go out of their way to make sure you have what you need. Whether it be the evening run on the bus or taking you down early in the morning to the info centre so you can catch the big bus to Cortina, they do what they can. Knowledge of the area and the services available is great and they are warm friendly people. Kim cooks a mean breakfast and Tristan is known to strum a few chords at open mic night...... he may have even mastered the "Cup & Ball" by the time you get there :) Adam waxes boards like a pro!

Unfortunately I injured myself with a few days to go and was couch bound while everyone else was out enjoying the huge powder dumps. I was couch bound and they came and checked to make sure I had what I needed and offered to drive me to the physio.... Beyond the call of duty I say!

I will have no problems recommending Asuka to my friends who will be travelling to Hakuba. We stayed for 2 weeks and would gladly stay again.Thanks for making a Perth girl's first international trip very memorable. I vow to be back :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachel L
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed at Asuka lodge for 8 nights in February and loved it. I travelled solo but instantly made some great mates. The lodge is clean, has character, the beds are comfortable, the lounge is big, plenty of dining and lounging space, plus downstairs there's a dry room with plenty of space to hang up snow gear and leave boots, skis and boards. What made my stay was the friendly staff, their knowledge, the free shuttle transport they provide and the BREAKFAST! Every morning there's muesli, cereal, yoghurt, fruit etc but what makes it is the hot breakfast that goes with it. It changes daily from things like French toast, to corn fritters, bacon and egg etc and it's amazing.

The lodge's location is right at the base of Happo One, from the lounge you can see the ski lifts. To start the day you'll need to walk about 100m to the Gondola to get started but coming back it's possible to ski or board almost to the entrance of the lodge. At night they run a free shuttle to the onsens, supermarket, ATM and info centre which was greatly appreciated.

Located just a short walk from the lodge are several great places to eat, check out Hakuba House for sure and grab a crepe to munch on from the stall on the street

Thanks to all the staff for making my stay such an enjoyable one. I can't recommend it highly enough. Can't wait to be back

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jamie P
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Awesome lodge right on the main gondola of Happo-ONE! The staff were amazing - Fresh cooked breakfast was included daily and A grade food! Great atmosphere and staff drove us to all the best spots for dinner each night! Couldn't ask for better service, position or comfort!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ScottAckland
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

You can't ask for more. Amazing staff, warm and clean rooms, awesome hot breakfast everyday, walking distance to snow field and also buses are running so often.... Restaurants and bars around the lodge or the staff will take you to a supermarket if you like to cook. Big lounge room with comfy couches, TV and WI-Fi for you to relax. Once you stay there you feel like you're at home with a bunch of new friends. The best lodge EVER I've stayed at. Thank you very very much guys, you are the best!! I will definitely come back for much longer. Lots of love xoxoxox Yuka

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yukalicious
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed for two weeks at this hostel and every part of it was amazing, cooked breakfast every morning, comfy beds, amazing staff, perfect location. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking of going to Hakuba or the surrounding resorts!!!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Wood-dawg
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two weeks in February 2014 with my partner, amazing cooked to order hot breakfast every morning, with continental breakfast selection as well. Rooms clean, beds comfortable, and warm. Sitting at breakfast watching the lifts on the hill each morning was inspiring. 1 minute walk to nearest lift and 3 minute walk to main gondola on happo one ski field. Daily runs to ATM, onsens and grocery store, huge industrial kitchen to cook dinner in, but if you don't feel like cooking less than 10 minute walk to bars and restaurants. Staff are more than happy to drop you off at restaurants on the way to the grocery store or ATM if space is available.

Common room has lots of seating with very comfortable couches to chill on after a day on the mountain. Short easy and free bus rides to neighboring mountains. Big dry room to keep all your gear in as well.

What made our trip extra special was the staff. Special thanks to Tristan, Kim, Adam, and Ya-Chan, always happy to go above and beyond with any question or request, not that we had to ask for much. Always had a laugh and a smile.

We will definitely be back, was very sad to leave as it was more like staying with family and friends rather than lodging. Thanks again guys!

Big love big hugs,