“Elk at Hukuba”

Elk at Hakuba
Melbourne, Australia
“Elk at Hukuba”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you like the ski fields, Elk at Hukuba in Japan is the place to be, close to Echo land and the ski fields,with a great host Justina,who has successfully run snow accommodation in Falls Creek for many years.Her passion in demonstrating how you can enjoy yourself in the land of the long white cloud is exceptional,knowledge of the area is a must and Justina has all the right places for you to go and have fun,skiing,night life eating and many more wonderful activities.She can organize all your wants while enjoying your holiday.Her friendly staff are always helpful and a delight and great fun to have a ski with, showing you some of their secret spots through out the region.

The accommodation is clean,always tidy bedrooms are great and quiet,food and alcohol are available on request a real must if you are contemplating traveling to the region give them a call,or check their web site

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank wesso3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Great Accomodation, friendly Staff made us feel welcome! We were greeted by Bena and Leanne, who were very helpful and made us feel like we were part of the family. The lodge was very comfortable and meals were excellent!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was our third trip to Japan and second time to Hakuba. We were a group of 12 friends and family that ranged in age from 11 years to 50 years. On arrival we phoned Justina and she came and picked all of us from Hakuba Bus Station. It took her a couple of trips and we really appreciated it. We found our whole experience at the Elk Lodge fantastic. Justina and her staff were awesome the rooms were clean and though the bathrooms are small we have stayed elsewhere that had the same type of bathrooms. I would not hesitate to recommend anyone to stay here. If it's daily servicing and full buffet breakfast you are looking for then book a hotel. We enjoyed the atmosphere of Lodge style accommodation. Oh and there is a great Onson just across the road. If you don't want to walk to the bus stop Justina will ring you a taxi which doesn't cost a great deal. All in all I found Justina and her staff friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for the family room it's by far the largest
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Having been to Japan every ski season for the last 5 years - this is undeniably the worst place we have stayed.

The "Lodge" a term i use loosely, itself actually could be quite nice, but sadly it has been somewhat neglected.

The major issues with this place are:-
Breakfast is atrocious - noting like described. Please see my picture, this is what was served daily. For a region that grows apples, not even a fresh apple in the place.

Bedding was not changed once during the entire stay, neither were our towels.

The rooms are dirty. Not properly cleaned

The bathroom (you will note no images on the elk website) are minute, similar to a campervan.

The central heating is faulty, i have now seen other reviews that this seems to be a problem they have done nothing about.

The 'lodge' is a good walk to the bus stop, which in ski boots on a icy road is tough work.

I bring to your attention that the excellent reviews on tripadvisor are most probably the Owner herself. Have a look at the names of the reviewers, they are seem to follow a trend like James E, Sarah H

Other than that, the skiing at Hakabu was fantastic.

Room Tip: None of the rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Jarps
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at Elk At Hakuba in 2014 and was very impressed with the excellent value for money this friendly lodge provides. I'm usually on a bit of a budget when I travel so I'm never looking for 5 star but this place delivered everything and more for a budget holiday.
I am planning to go back with a group of 11 friends in 2015 as it's perfect for groups. Mike, one of the staff, was more than happy to drive us whenever and wherever we wanted and even took us out to show us local night spots on a couple of occaisions.
The rooms were clean, tidy and good by Japanese snowfields standards. All round I found it great value for money, the staff and owner were always helpful and lovely and I can't recommend it highly enough. And the snow is freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 3 May 2014

A group of us stayed this past winter at The Elk. This was my third trip to Hakuba and I chose the Elk due to the description of it s website. Not long after I immediately regretted my decision to staff there. I will give some short examples of what happened during our stay:
- never offered fresh towels, had to ask for fresh towels

- there is one van on site and on the reviews they said that they would give rides into town for guests. We were turned down several times by the staff to drive us into town. Only after I complained to the owner did they drive us to the bus stop upon our departure

- the "continental breakfast" consisted of 1 egg. Not two eggs but one egg. I asked the owner about this so she said I could have more eggs so I had to asked. So each morning I would ask for two eggs. Very odd

- the two couple I were with had BED BUGS although mine did not. Under closer inspection the covers on my pillows had there zippers broken so there would be no way they were able to wash them. A brief look under my bed also showed that no had bothered to sweep it neither

- front steps of the lodge were covered in slick ice for everyday until the last day which I had to ask the owner to clear so we didn t break our neck

- no staff member speaks any Japanese

- told we could not use firewood during the afternoon because they had to "save it" for the evening

- power went out one of our nights

- the lounge which is aesthetically nice, was always occupied by either the owners kids or the employees themselves making it very unwelcoming

- I told the owner about my experience at her lodge in the privacy of her office. She was actually kind to my criticism and I just offered tips

- I mentioned that I booked her lodge from reviews on TA (which, with all the 1 review reviews I believe to be fake) and from the description from their website with resembles nothing of the truth. She explained how it is not a "lodge" per se but what you call a "flash hostel". Flash hostel is so,etching between a lodge and a hostel. I asked her why did nt she put that on the website and she said she would change that. I just checked and nothing has changed

- after our conversation this is when thinks took a really weird turn. Our group left for dinner and drinks. When we finished we arrived back to the lodge and went to the lounge where the owner was there with her staff, kids and parents. She had obviously discussed my criticism with those around her and had a few drinks and launched a verbal attack on HER GUEST!!!! I then told her if she wanted to talk to me please do it in the privacy of her office. After talking to her she calmed down and ended up making my friend and I two ham and cheese sandwich's

- our group decided to leave a day early as the general atmosphere was toxic environment to be around on your big holiday of the year

- Japan is world famous for there service, respect and hospitality. The Elk Lodge is run by crass, confrontational Australian who does not mange their young Australian staff properly. If you do decide to visit Hakuba, the Elk is a place I would suggest you avoid.

Room Tip: From my experience staying at monkey rider and panic which are "hostel" they have nice pri...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank thejudge24
Hakuba-mura, Japan
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

First time to Hakuba. Found a perfect place to investigate the place from. Close to a fair few excellent restaurants and bars, half way between Happo and Hakuba 47, two big resorts. Friendly, helpful staff, good brekkie too. The fireplace was a good place to relax with a glass of wine. We will be back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple