“Highly recommended”
Review of Kawamotoya

Kawamotoya
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We would highly recommend the Kawamotoya. The service was excellent, with nothing too much of a problem. The breakfast was comprehensive and filling. Location is a 5-10 min walk to the travelator and not a drama at all (but it's uphill and a bit slippery so hire shi gear up at the Hikage ski area).

the restaurant is excellent as are most of the restaurants in town, but you need to book any restaurant ahead of time. The rooms were very large and the futons very comfortable. the hot water pressure in our room was fine, but our sons complained of variable water pressure in their room (we were level 3, they were level 4).

The onsite onsen is a real plus. you can add cold water to the very very hot natuaral spring making it very comfortable after a days skiing. Some of the public onsens (one next door) are almost too hot to get in! There was also massage and psysio in the hotel as well!

the snow and skiing in Nozawa-Onsesn was magnificent with 150cms falling in 5 days! we would come back to the resort and also this roykan.

Room Tip: mid level will have a view and water pressure good. levels 4 & 5 have good views but you take a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind feedback following your stay at Kawamotoya.

I was deligted that you enjoyed your stay with us and also enjoyed the service you received throughout your stay. I have passed on your kind words to my team.

Please do come and visit us again soon.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Let me start with Nozawa-onsen:
It's s great little city with amazing infrastructure for skiing. Truly incredible, much better than anything you will find in Europe.
The slopes are very good, with plenty of choices for beginners and advanced skiers alike. It's really a great place to go.
Now about the hotel:
I stayed there for 5 nights. The service is excellent. The food might be the best in town, seriously. Get dinner included, you will not regret it. If you're not staying here, book dinner here, you can't find anything like it in town.
Now, the rooms are spacious but they are "Japanese style" which means you don't get a bed, but a mat on the floor. It's not great but it's not as bad as it sounds. The main problem is the shower because you don't get one in you room. You have to go downstairs and shower in the onsen. Now, the problem is that everyone wants to leave at 8:15 in the morning and come back at around 4. Do you get to the hotel after a day of skiing and you go to the onsen to take a shower. There are roughly 20 rooms in the hotel but only 2 showers!!!!!!!!
That is worse than a hostel, plus you have yo shower in front of an average of 3 guys who could be in the onsen, showering next to you, getting dressed, etc all in the confines of a 25 sq meters ( 250 sq feet) room that includes the onsen!
I often arrived to a line of 3-4 guys waiting with another 6-8 using the facilities . That's just absurd . If you must shower at the onsen, they should have at least 5 showers there, and some of them should be private. What if you gave a skin disease or the flu and needs to blow your nose? You don't need to do that in the open right next to people bathing in the onsen .
In the last day there was also no table for us for breakfast so we had to just find a couch on the front desk and eat there.
They also will only make up your room if you hang a notice at the door.
My conclusion is: I would not stay there again, but I would have dinner there every night. You have to book 1 day in advance, though

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eduardo b

Dear Mr Eduardo B.

Thank you for your review of Kawamotoya

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the service delivered by our team; they do constantly strive to exceed all our guests’ expectations and it is truly what sets Kawamotoya apart from other hotels in Nozawa Onsen.

I have noted your comments about the bedding of your room without shower and am sad that your room did not suit you. Our Hotel is a ryokan which offers a traditionnal Japanese bedding on Futon. And we are receiving a lot of a good feedback from our clients about this type of bedding. You booked a room without shower but the half of our room inventory is including a bath. On your next visit to Japan, I recommend you to book a room with a bathroom, as it's common in Ryokan accommodation to not have a bath in the room especially in a city like Nozawa Onsen, which is famous for his public baths.

I do sincerely hope that we will see you again, and have the opportunity to show you how great Kawamotoya truly is.

Kindest regards,

Arnaud Devillers.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed four nights at Kawamatoya in two standard Japanese rooms and found the room facilities quite basic although the restaurant Tamon provided 2 superb set course dinners the nights we were able to book there and the breakfasts gave a good variety of Western and Japanese fare, including a fantastic locally cured ham. Nozawa Onsen is a beautiful town and we were deluged with snow for 3 of the 4 days were were there making it quite magical for the non skiers in our group. We loved the local shops and restaurants, the steamed dumplings sold on street and found everyone friendly and helpful. Local restaurants are cheap and cheerful but we would advise book every nights meal as soon as you arrive: we found many local restaurants fully booked even on week nights and only one sitting booked.
At Kamamotoya be aware the in house Onsen is closed for cleaning daily between 10 and 4 and as the standard rooms do not have bathroom, it means going out to the public Onsen, which are fun and beautiful anyway. If using the in house Onsen, do so soon after 4 in the afternoon when it is cleanest. During our stay on the fifth floor, there was nearly zero water pressure in the room's sink, the telephone did not work correctly and neither did the wifi, which was only accessible in foyer. The blankets on our futons had plenty of rogue hairs on them and half of the wines on the wine list were not available in the restaurant. All small issues, but cumulative.
Nazawa Onsen is listed on the New York Times 50 places to visit in 2014 and Kawamatoya's Tamon restaurant gets a specific recommendation: we agree with restaurant recommendation but will find the town itself more memorable than the accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't take room on the fifth floor due to water pressure, wifi and telephone issues. Book resta...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank POPs13
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us have your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us.

Whilst I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our location, the quality of our restaurant and in particular our set course dinner, I am most concerned to read of your disappointments with our complimentary internet service. As a result of your experience I will ask for an Audit on signal strength and connectivity and ensure that any necessary remedial action is taken immediately. Please accept my sincere apologies that we fell short in this aspect of your stay. I am even more concerned though to read your review about cleanliness of your room, as the delivery of a clean's bedroom at any time is the cornerstone of our service philosophy. Your experience here runs totally against what the vast majority of our guests regularly tell us. We are not in any way complacent about this and where we can do better we surely will so please rest assured that I shall be following your comments up directly with my team. The low water pressure in the rooms on the 5th floor is due to the increasing the tourism activity in the town this winter and the town is unable to provide us more water pressure. We are planning to solve this issue in a brief delay by adding a pump. The telephones in the rooms are only able to connect with the front desk and doesn't allow to make oversea call. We don't believe that there is a huge demand for call from the bedroom, as most of the people are using internet or mobile to communicate. I'm very suprise about your comment concerning the wine, as I personnaly take care of the wine supply. It was effectively missing one wine reference during your stay, but not half the wines. Finally concerning the Onsen's cleaning, we are effectively closing the onsen for one hour every day for the dailly cleaning and from 10:00 to 16:00 only one day during the week for a deep cleaning.

I very much hope that we can yet encourage you to stay with us again so I can put your above concerns to rest.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Bit of a long story this. We booked for this property via a third party website in June 2013, and it was confirmed. However, while touring in Japan about 2 weeks prior to our booking, we received an email stating that we would not be able to be accommodated for all 4 nights as they were overbooked. It was suggested that we be accommodated in a sister facility for 2 of those nights, and we would then transfer back to Kawamatoya. We weren't happy about this, but we had no real choice so we agreed. The sister property, Yamati, was comfortable enough but was not of the level of Kawamotoya. Arnaud, the local manager tried to make it up to us by collecting us from the airport, and offering us a significant discount on a good meal in the restaurant - this was kind of him and did go some way to making things better. When I discussed it with one of the other managers, she blamed the mixup on the many streams of bookings they get from various sources. I was still somewhat disgruntled though and couldn't help asking the question -- why did WE get bumped, after booking 6 months in advance. Anyway - the hotel/ryokan was pretty good. The futons were better than average, the room was spacious and comfortable, and the in-house onsen was good too. Breakfast was a good western/Japanese mix, and the one dinner we had in the Tamon was very tasty indeed. Service was excellent, and the front desk was helpful in arranging transport for excursions to the snow monkeys and the station.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Andrew Darwin,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your stay with us at Kawamotoya.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed our service and found our futon superb.

I'm very sorry that we had to ask you to stay in another Ryokan for 2 days prior your stay at Kawamotoya. The problem came from a double booking on the same bedroom. And as many people are booking one year in advance : your booking was the lastest one for the same room categorie.

Please, one more time, accept my apologies for the inconvenience and please rest assured that we make a point of using any such constructive feedback in the most appropriate way.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Cannot rate the friendliness and kindness that the staff showed us highly enough. From the moment we stepped in they made us feel welcome. The room was a beautiful traditional style with an east meets west buffet style breakfast. They helped us book taxis, lift passes and resteraunts and even with the slight language barrier it was never a problem. The resort was very quiet as it was the start of the season but this meant we had the slopes almost to ourselves and no queuing for lifts! Thank you to all the staff.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Arnaud D, General Manager at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Stickyteas,

Thank you for leaving your kind words following your recent stay with us at Kawamotoya. I was so glad to read that you and your partner enjoyed your Honeymoon stay with us. I was also glad that we met your expectations. I have already passed on your kind words to my great team. We hope to see you once again in the near futur.

My best wishes,

Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is a ryokan mostly for ski resort users, but it is nicely located near the center of town and within walking distance from the bus stops.
The décor in the lobby and dining area is slanted towards modern but the rooms are with tatami mats and in the usual ryokan style. The dinner was really good and came with introduction and explanation.
The staff are all very helpful and I must say caring, it was snowing heavily the morning we were leaving and thought of getting a short taxi ride, several minutes later one of the staff approached us and suggested that we book soonest because the deteriorating weather conditions will mean the taxis will be in short supply very soon, that suggestion was very well appreciated, meaning the staff cares and not simply in a robotic mode.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Kawamotoya and I am delighted that you appreciated the unusual touches and that the service was great and the staff were helpful and attentive.

I have passed your kind words to everyone who are grateful for the recognition and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Nozawa-Onsen on a future visit.

Warm regards,

Arnaud Devillers.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We both absolutely loved our stay in Kawamotoya. When we first arrived the ryokan was pretty busy ( I believe it was Japanese holidays) but all of the staff were very polite and if they weren't so confident in English, tried their best.

The room was warm and pretty big, We found the futons to be comfortable, and we had a restful sleep every night. Absolutely loved the Japanese style rooms with tatami mats. Our room overlooked the koi pond out the back and every night we had the most spectacular sunsets.

The onsen was a bit daunting at first, but we developed a strategy of late night onsens so nobody was in there at the same time. Also I loved the yukata provided :) We had breakfast every morning downstairs, and it was really really good, a perfect way to start off a full day of boarding. As others are saying, it is a bit of a walk to the U road, which can be a bit of a pain, but really no big deal.

I would definately stay here again and I would tell my friends and my family to stay here, I really loved it, and found nowhere else in Japan lived up to the standard we expected after Kawamotoya.

Room Tip: Rooms with a little bathroom were good, so to have a sink to clean teeth etc. Rooms facing the back...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank world-explorer89

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful feedback on the site and I am delighted to read that you have been happy with our property.

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance or if we can assist with a booking.

Warm regards,