“Perfect stay”
Review of Kawamotoya

Kawamotoya
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed for two nights at Kawamotoya and really loved it. Tidy and clean typical Japanese rooms, own Onsen in the facility, very nice breakfast (Japanese and Western) but the outstanding point was the quality of the staff and the friendliness of the people there! Highly recommended~

Room Tip: All rooms are Japanese style, which is a futon on a tatami mat. If you feel the futon is too hard, t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Katja D,

Thank you so very much for your kind feedback following your recent stay at Kawamotoya Ryokan. I was really pleased to read your kind words and have passed them on to my great team at the hotel.

Please do come and stay with us again which I hope is very soon.

My best regards,

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We are in the middle of 6 night stay in Kawamotoya
We stayed in a Japanese deluxe room on the third floor. We were worried about the water pressure from the taps and shower/ bath in the ensuite bathroom as well as the strength of wifi connection but both worries were unfounded and everything worked beautifully and without fuss.
The room was large, clean and well designed with everything we could possibly want to make our stay comfortable. I found the room very ergonomic with plenty of both natural light and well placed lighting. There was plenty of space and hangers.
The service was genuine and friendly and most of the reception staff could speak very good English and when they coudnt, they were genuinely apologetic.
Breakfast was was buffet spread - not a huge selection but the quality of the food more than makes it for it.
There are daily yoga lessons for a small fee and in house physio

The only small thing to consider is the distance to the bottom of the yu travellator. It is only a 10 min slow walk but it is all uphill. A nice warm up to the day's skiiing

Room Tip: if you don't mind not having the best views, choose a floor on the lower floors
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Adara1477

Thank you so much for you very kind words during your recent stay at Kawamotoya Ryokan. I was truly delighted to read your feedback and have passed it on to my great team , as I do with all the feedback we receive from our guests.Many thanks once again and we do look forward to your return to the hotel where we look forward to extending you a very warm welcome and to meet your expectations once again.

Best regards,

General Manager.

PS : I'm just wondering why after a so nice review, you rate us as "poor" ? Maybe a mis-click ?

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I only stayed in Kawamotoya for three days but I wish I had stayed a lot longer. As soon as we walked through the door the hotel staff were friendly and welcoming. We stayed on the third floor where we chose a Japanese Style Room. It was beautiful, with a small area for your boots to be left at the entrance of the room. Tatami mats lay across the spacious room, we had a great heater which was easy to control the tempurature (best we had on our whole trip). We had a beautiful large window which over looked the village and ski field. We also had an area where we could lay out our gear to air. There was an amazing large tv in our room but we didn't even get to use it as it was so peaceful relaxing in our room listening to the running water outside. The futon beds I loved as they were very comfortable.
We also were able to pick a beautiful onsen bag that we were offered which had a small towel, lavender soaps for the ladies along with other beautiful goodies and the men were able to choose a different bag selection which had other wonderful goodies in it.
The Onsen which is located on ground level was beautiful. We were explained that there are many onsens situated around the town area but the one in the hotel was great so we didn't go anywhere else.
We ordered breakfast every morning which was great. There was a wonderful selection of hot breakfasts along with fresh fruits and breads. There was also homemade yoghurt which was delicious with the muesli and fruit. We never got to try the dinner as it was quite a popular restaurant in town. We had heard great things about the food so we will be back to try this next time.
The hotel wasn't too far from the local bus stop. It took us about 10 mins to walk down to the hotel. The locals were very friendly as well and were able to help us find our directions to the hotel. It was a 10min walk up the hill to the ski field which I found as a great warm up for my muscles before hitting the slopes.
I can't wait to come back to this place it was a great hotel, and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I recommend choosing the Japanese Private Rooms as they were so spacious and relaxing. You also have...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear CharlieJorge,

I was thrilled to read your kind words following your recent stay at Kawamotoya Ryokan. As you mentioned you enjoyed all the facilities of the hotel but the most important aspect is the service which I was please to read met with your expectations. I have passed on your feedback to my brilliant team and really do hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

In Feb 2013 I spent 7 nights at Kawamotoya with 3 friends. (4 middle aged women!) We shared rooom 501 which was on the top floor with a view over the village as well as one down the valley. We had 4 futons which took up a lot of the floor space but still had room to move around. The room had an ensuite with heated toilet seat :) !!. As in previous reviews the water pressure was a bit dubious at times, but we found if you just waitied a few minutes it always came back!! We used a mix of the hotels onsen and the rooms shower and in the end were prefering the experience of the onsen. The room was warm and the doona's comfy but did request and extra mattress for the futons after the first night. The staff were more than happy to assist as they were with every request we made. This included making restaurant reservations for us - which we found was best to do a day in advance but not always necessary.
The Tamon restaurant restaurant at Kawamotoya is a must for at least one evening. The have a couple of set menus to choose from. We had the 6,500 yen option and found the 7 courses exceptionally good. I would expect to pay at least $150 pp for a similar quality in Sydney. There is also a great restaurant on the cormer next to Kawamotoya which is run by a family. It does not take bookings and mainly serves noodle and japanese savoury type pancakes. It is very cheap and so good we went twice!!
Kawamotoya's breakfast buffet was great and whilst it was the same for the 7 days we were there we never tired of it. There is both Japanese and western food to choose from.
Kawamotoya is about a 5-10 minute walk uphill to the moving walkway. If you are fit enough to ski you are easily fit enough for this walk. The walk is very nice as you walk straight up the centre of the village. We hired our gear from St Anton which is at Hikage Gondola. That way you do not need to carry ski gear up and down the hill. You can leave your Apre boots at the hire centre. I would not want to have to do the walk in ski boots or carrying ski's. One of our group had her own ski boots but, as she hired her ski's & poles from St Anton they were happy for her to leave her own ski boots at night with ours. Alternatively if you are bringing all your own ski gear I suggest you hire a locker in the Hikage Centre near where you purchase/collect your lift tickets.
The Nozawa Physio is also located at Kawamotoya which is great as she (nice Australian girl) also runs yoga and muscle relaxing classes at 7am and 5pm. It was great to ski all day, do a stretch class at 5pm then soak in the onsen before heading out for dinner!
We had a great experience and are very happy with our choice of accomodation in Nozawa.

1  Thank Bernadette P
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest,

I was thrilled to read your kind words following your recent stay at Kawamotoya. As you mentioned you enjoyed all the facilities of the hotel but the most important aspect is the service which I was please to read met with your expectations. I have passed on your feedback to my brilliant team and really do hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have just returned from 5 days at NozawaOnsen staying at Kawamotoya. Firstly the staff were lovely and tried their hardest to make our stay as confortable as possible. We were staying on the top floor with an en suite bathroom. We found the room to be large and comfortable. We expected futons and found them to be very comfortable. The ryokan is a reasonable walk uphill to the travelator but as we left our ski equipment up at the lifts we didn't find this to be a problem. Our only disappointment was the lack of water pressure in our en suite. In fact we did not ever use the shower as water simply didn't reach our bathroom most of the time. On a few occasions I had to wait for several minutes for enough water to come through to simply wash my hands. We loved the onsen so I would suggest you save your money and elect for a room without an ensuite. Friends stayed in a room without en suite. They had a heated toilet (ours was an old unheated one) and a hand basin which is all that is required if you are happy to use the onsen. We were given a 30% discount on the additional cost of having an ensuite but as we simply could not use the shower or bath we felt this was not moeny weel spent.

Room Tip: Higher floor have views but very poor water pressure
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback which is genuinely appreciated as we use this to review what improvements we can make to our product and service. I am delighted to note that you felt that you were looked after by our team in general very well and this is absolutely central to our service ethos.
I have noted that you found the shower pressure could have been stronger. We notice since the beginning of the winter season that the water pressure provide by the town became very low maybe because of popularity of the resort this year. We are planning some construction work to improve the water presure in our Roykan for the next winter..
I very much hope that I can persuade you to consider trying us once more.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We had an excellent stay at Kawamotoya in early January this year. The rooms are warm, comfortable and clean, and while you do sleep on tatami mats and shower in the onsen or public bath on the ground floor, it was a great experience to really appreciate the traditional culture of Nozawa. The buffet breakfast serves a good variety of Western and Japanese food, and was the perfect start to the day before hitting the slopes. The hotel manager was very kind and helpful, and the staff provided excellent service particularly in assisting us to make dinner reservations with local restaurants in the week of our stay. I have no hesitation in recommending Kawamotoya and I will certainly book here again on my next visit to Nozawa. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Lissel_P

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at Kawamotoya.

I was really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the facilities and service we provided you with.

Please do come and stay with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We would highly recommend the Kawamotoya. The service was excellent, with nothing too much of a problem. The breakfast was comprehensive and filling. Location is a 5-10 min walk to the travelator and not a drama at all (but it's uphill and a bit slippery so hire shi gear up at the Hikage ski area).

the restaurant is excellent as are most of the restaurants in town, but you need to book any restaurant ahead of time. The rooms were very large and the futons very comfortable. the hot water pressure in our room was fine, but our sons complained of variable water pressure in their room (we were level 3, they were level 4).

The onsite onsen is a real plus. you can add cold water to the very very hot natuaral spring making it very comfortable after a days skiing. Some of the public onsens (one next door) are almost too hot to get in! There was also massage and psysio in the hotel as well!

the snow and skiing in Nozawa-Onsesn was magnificent with 150cms falling in 5 days! we would come back to the resort and also this roykan.

Room Tip: mid level will have a view and water pressure good. levels 4 & 5 have good views but you take a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind feedback following your stay at Kawamotoya.

I was deligted that you enjoyed your stay with us and also enjoyed the service you received throughout your stay. I have passed on your kind words to my team.

Please do come and visit us again soon.