All reviews zip line light show tropical fish feed the fish sunset bar kids play area spiral staircase fish food main tower noodles table tennis water slides banana boat sofa bed excellent beach beautiful indoor ball pool
Reviewed 21 August 2018

We stayed here for a week with the family (2 adults and 2 kids). This hotel is AMAZING. Everything about the hotel is perfect. The facilities for the adults and kids are first class, from the waterslides to the zip wire to the beach sports to the indoor games area. My 8 and 6 year old were spoilt for choice.
All staff were professional and simply could not do enough for us. My wife and I are vegetarian and they made special off menu dishes for us which we truly appreciated. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough if you are travelling with a family, so much to do and enjoy inside the resort. The hotel is on the beach, which is spotless!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
sheratonokinawa_sm1, General Manager at Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear "hirdaipalsinghj",

Thank you for having chosen Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort for a family vacation in Okinawa back in April, and thank you also for posting a great review.
We are delighted that you and your family had such a good time here with us including activities and beach environment, and especially a special menu for you. We always strive to satisfy all the needs that guests may possibly have, and I am truly grateful and proud for our culinary team who went the extra mile to meet your request.
We truly appreciate your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you and your family to Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort in the near future.

With my best regards,

Jean-Raphael Felus

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

First time in Okinawa. We thought we’d splurge so that we’d get the best experience. I called and booked hotel
Directly. The reservation offered best view room is on the 6-9th floor. Sea view. We opted for deluxe room 883 USD/night. And Maisonette (has a 2nd floor mezanine type with tatami) 923 USD/night. We have a big group so thought it was worth it. We took 2 rooms on 9th floor.
One big disappointment that i missed to notice before deciding on this hotel was.. the building doesn’t face towards the ocean. But sideways! So, you have to go outside your balcony and turn your head a bit right or left to see full view of the ocean. Otherwise, you’ll only see the one side of the ocean!!! And from my room,i can even see partial part of the parking lot, which is not pretty. Anyway long story short, we moved to 6th floor. This time is on the right side of the hotel, from the balcony you can see the beach chairs. It was better view. But they told me if we had booked 5th floor, the price would go down. Honestly, if i had known, i would have booked the cheaper room. It didnt make any significant difference.
2nd thing that did not go well with me was there’s a long huge barrier they built on the ocean. I understand they must have built that for a reason,but nevertheless it’s blocked the view of what could have been a very beautiful blue wide ocean. I know that because i went banana boat and snorkel beyond this rock barrier, and it was a very beautiful ocean. Layers of turquoise water. And then, we did not know that there is a resort fee. That if you choose to buy, you need to buy from everyone staying in the room!!! On top of a very expensive room rate we paid. That is to use beach chairs, indoor pool, kayak, water bicycle, sauna. I found this a bit abusive. Maybe it’s wise for the management the include this resort fee to those who stay on 6-9th floor because of the high price of the room.
We end up renting 2 chair and umbrella for 2700 yen / day!! Its like 30 USD. And the chairs are the old style ones, with rubber bands. Not the comfy with Sun bed ones. I just did not like this and did not like not knowing this before deciding to choose this hotel! I wonder if it was written in their website? Because i called the hotel directly to book and was not informed on this. Would be nice of during making the reservation, we’d been informed.
Pool has 2 water slides. Good enough for young kids. But the design of the pool itself is nothing special.
They have many facilities on the beach. The inflatable slides, trampoline, all water activities which you have to pay seperately at beach play counter.
One thing i did not like about the snorkeling cancellation regulation though is once we book, if the weather doesn’t look too good, if they decide to go ahead on snorkeling, but we decide to cancel, we’ll be charged cancelation fee. Even charged 100% if cancel on same day. I booked for boat tour snorkeling. At 9am. Weather turns cloudy and drizzle. They decided that the boat can not sail out, so they will change to snorkeling around the beach. Since i was not given a free cancellation option, so i went along. The snorkeling was not good, choppy water, rough wind and bad visibility. There was some fish, but definitely no coral. Towards the end, it started raining very hard with huge dark cloud! While we were in the water! And there was a 5 year old in our group. I cant imagine how scared she must be!! I managed to swim back, but the wind was getting strong. It was not a good decision to go along with the snorkeling! They should have cancelled it, or give us the option to cancel ! And.... i was still charged 4800 yen. Same price as the boat tour snorkeling. I was not happy.
I went to snorkel boat tour next day, and it was sunny. 100% visibility, beautiful fishes. Very few coral but thats ok. Comparing the 2 experiences, i think it’s not fair to charge the same. If they reduce/change the program to something less exciting, they should take down the price. And give option to cancel for free to guests. I voiced this to hotel manager, she said she will take this as input for next time. But it would be better if they’d offer to refund me. It was unpleasant experience.

Blue Cave snorkel : starts at 11. Too many people inside the cave at that time! They should have started the tour at 9am. It would have been a nice snorkel cave tour. But too many people made it hard to enjoy. Better the snorkel outside the cave.

Water activities : my 7 yo enjoy the Mable activity and Banana boat. They had great fun with those.

Zip line: great zipline location crossing the ocean. I bought the drone video and picture and it turned out to be amazing! But prepare to que 1 hour for a 1 minute zip line. It’s still good fun.

Dining : 2 restaurants : The Grill (obviously offering grilled meat and bbq) nothing special. Just ok. The room gets really smoky from the bbq stove,though.
Senses. Practically we eat breakfast and dinner here. Breakfast is ok. At first, we were happy with the dinner buffet. But after 3 nights of same menu, we got bored. Ala carte menu is available though. But simple options.

Sunset Bar : one small area facing the beach. Indoor. Only starts open at 6pm.
What a pitty that this hotel doesn’t have an outdoor beach bar. While the landscape of the property is permitting for that. And like me, if you wanna have a coffee at 4, u can’t , cause the sunset bar only opens at 6.you can go to the beach caffe, it’s actually next to the pool, but honestly, the location isn’t appealing to hang out there for afternoon coffee.

Concierge : doesn’t really speak english. And did not give good directions. I asked about the outlet mall. She told me could take almost 2hrs to get there. She showed me on the map it’s close to airport. I decided not to go. But my husband went and it took 45 mins! Through high way. A good Concierge would have known to
take the highway option.

All in all, i made peace with this and enjoyed the ocean of Okinawa.We had 3 days of rain and thunderstorm, and 2.5 days of sun. So we made the best out of it. used the facilities on the beach. But, to be honest,they put a price way too much for what it is. I have expected a lot higher because the room type offered to us and the price. It shouldn’t have been that high considering what it is.
The manager Masako was quite nice, speak very good English , and helpful and gave us late checkout since our flight was at 5pm.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Shanty P
Jean-Raphael F, General Manager at Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Dear Shanty P,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort and providing your comprehensive review.

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent similar issues from occurring in the future.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Okinawa.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Stayed at south tower during 12 June - 17 June 2018 with 3 yrs boy, 6 months baby and my hubby.

We could not help falling in love with friendly staffs, beautiful indoor aquarium, and amazing beach.

Even there were couple of storms came, it was unbelievable and incredible stay and I just booked impulsively for this September to have another great family time.

Anyone who read this, please don't hesitate, you should come and enjoy this resort.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank SungBinKim
sheratonokinawa_sm1, General Manager at Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear "SungBinKim",

Thank you for staying at Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort and also for the great review.
The entire hotel team is pleased to see that we could exceed your expectations and you had a wonderful, memorable stay with us. We will try our best to further improve and maintain the service standard to become a preferred hotel in Okinawa.

Thank you again, and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort in September.

With my best regards,

Jean-Raphael Felus

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My family and my sister’s family - 8 guests total, including four children - stayed at Okinawa Sheraton Sunmarina in June 2018. Scheduled to leave for the airport on early Thursday morning, we decided to have dinner in the hotel on Wednesday night. First, the hotel has two restaurants: The Grill and Senses. Senses offers buffet/a la carte and shabu shabu (Japanese hot pot). We ate the buffet on Sunday night, when we first arrived at the hotel - not terrible, but a bit overpriced at $60 per adult. Nevertheless, because none of us wanted to repeat the buffet, we decided to eat shabu shabu on Wednesday night.

Upon arriving at the restaurant reception, we were shocked to hear that (a) Seneses restaurant was only offering buffet, because “restaurants in Japan are closed on Wednesdays” and (b) The Grill was closed because it was hosting an outside group of students. I’m sorry, but what kind of resort hotel operates this way? After complaining at both the restaurant reception and front desk, we just received continuous apologies and courtesy bows. Those things will not help feed my family.

So, at 8:30 pm, we - including two toddlers - were forced to walk out of the hotel and search for nearby restaurants still open for business. And please note that the hotel is not near any commercial areas.

Apparently, not ALL restaurants in Japan are closed on Wednesdays.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven H
Jean-Raphael F, General Manager at Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear Steven H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. My name is Jean-Raphael FELUS and I am the
General Manager at the Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort. I have read you comments that our facilities have fallen short of your expectations and for this, I sincerely apologize.

The information you received about restaurant being closed on Wednesdays was incomplete. Most Japanese restaurants close on Wednesdays due to the fish market being closed, preventing us from getting fresh seafood and fish and this should have been better explained to you.
The experience you described resulted from untimely conditions and is not representative of the usual service we provide and I will work with the hotel team to prevent this issue from occurring in the future.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies for not having been able to provide a decent dinner venue for your family.

Hoping that in the future you will be willing to give us another chance, please receive my best regards,

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

This is our first trip to Okinawa. We always prefer newer hotel to services. Especially in Japan, you have no worries on their hospitality although dealing with the challenge of languages. This is very new hotel with lots of facilities recently built. And I can see the architectural model in the hotel lobby that another extension is in the master plan.

Reception and hospitality
Staff are nice and helpful. Visitors are mix of local Japanese, Taiwanese, mainland Chinese, and Hong Kong’s , and some Korean.

Room
Very new (We are at South Tower). Main tower is slightly older but approximate to all facilities, with view to the main bridge. We chose the side facing the pier, another public, looks like the quiet side but may have the noise of engine if u open the balcony doors. South Tower have the benefits of easy access to a small area of self service lounge where u can get coffee, soft drinks and bottle water. South Tower is a about 5mins walk from Main Tower but have the free access to some facilities like onsan which you may need to pay otherwise. I booked through SPG App. and also get the special discount ticket for some water activities, snorkelling and banana boat.

Facilities
New. Quite comprehensive although I think this is quite typical for 5 stars hotel there. The good thing is that it is close to Blue Cave where you can have nice diving and snorkelling adjacent to a wonder of landscape. Onsan is so so as it is facing the sunset. You can’t sit there for more than 5mins facing the sun in the late afternoon. Water slides in the pool and a small indoor pool just in case we are in bad luck dealing typhoon there.

In general we don’t have much expectation for Okinawa food. They are too meaty!! Breakfast is ok with good varieties of choices. In general is OK except The Grill. The grill set lunch is below average in Japan, very chewy.

Overall
We enjoyed the time here very much and we love this place. My daughter asked me to put in an “amazing” remark. She loves the aquarium pool at the lobby with lots of tropical sea creatures there.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Jean-Raphael F, General Manager at Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Dear William C,
Thank you very much for staying at our resort and giving us valuable comments.
We are very happy to hear that your family enjoyed the stay with us.
Your comments have been shared with the team as a teachable moment so we can improve our service delivery to all our guests.
Last, thank you to your daughter regarding the lobby aquarium, we are working hard to maintain it so that guests of all ages enjoy what Okinawa have to offer in sea life.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again should your travels bring you back to our lovely island.
Best regards