“Quiet Onsen Hotel”
Review of Hotel Kawanami

Hotel Kawanami
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here for one night. This hotel is a quiet hotel with most Japanese visitors.

Bad Points
1) The distance from hotel to nearest bus station is about 5 minutes on up and downhill slopes. So if you want to stay in this hotel, either rent a car or drag along a light luggage.
2) This place is definitely not for viewing fireworks at Lake Toya at night and is about 10 minutes from the main onsen town

Good Points
1) Quiet and spacious room
2) The dinner was seafood tobanyaki which is like barbecue seafood on hot pot. Delicious and goes best along with Japanese sake
3) The owners speak good English and other staff though may not be good in English were very helpful

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OddEye
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kawanami

Reviewed 15 November 2013

there're lots of hotels near lake toya but most seems to be too big and too crowded with lots of tourists. we tried to search for a smaller and quiet hotel with onsen so that we can relax and enjoy the atmosphere. i'm glad we found out about hotel kawanami from tripadvisor. hotel kawanami is really the right choice for us.
we stayed one night here in late september. the room is big and very clean with a nice view of lake toya. we can sit in the room and enjoy drinking plum wine while watching the fireworks from the hotel window. it was so comfortable sleeping on the floor. there's only toilet in the room but you don't need bathroom anyway cos you can go onsen anytime. we used their private onsen and paid additional 1500 yen per hour. it's really nice and cozy.
tobanyaki dinner was served in a tiny private room. very cute and very comfy. dinner is great with good portion. drink is not included in the dinner though so you have to order it separately. i'm not sure if we can get just free plain water cos we cannot really communicate with the waitress so we ordered some beer and sake and paid additional charges.
breakfast is served in another big room. it's japanese style breakfast. grilled salmon, some pieces of raw fish, salad and egg, rice and soup. very yummy.
there's convenience store right next to the hotel so it's very convenient. we really enjoyed staying here and definitely will come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed here for 1 night and lamented not having stayed longer. We stayed in a total of 5 hotels/ryokans during our trip and this was the most value for money. Spacious room, beautiful onsen (go to the outdoor onsen!), great dinner (dinner was held in the restaurant in private rooms so ambience was great). There was nothing more we could have asked for. Owner can speak English very well, we were very thankful for that.

Room Tip: We were initially hesitant about this hotel because the room had no private bath. Turns out it was t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank icyparadise
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I had a nice email conversation with Mr Kawanami when I booked. As I was arriving after the last bus of the day at Toya station, he very kindly offered to pick me up – super service! My room was large and clean, with a reasonable view of the lake (best ask for a room on the upper floor). At first I was a bit worried about not having a proper ensuite, but I soon got into the swing of the onsen lifestyle (it’s open 24/7) – it’s so much nice having a shower in there then a nice onsen after than a shower in your room!

I didn’t eat at the hotel other than breakfast on the final day – to be honest, it wasn’t really my thing, although the Japanese guest around me seemed to love it. There is a convenience store over the road, so it’s handy for making packed lunches. The Inn is a little out of town, about half way from Toya and the volcano. Nice and quiet around there! You can walk to Toya in around 15 minutes.

My one reservation was that the tatami mats here felt quite solid. I ended up piling 3 up to make my bed a little more comfortable, but it didn’t really seem to help.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2013

The staffs made me feels homely. They are friendly and hospitable. Owner is very good at playing the piano too. The onsen is small and dark. Nothing fantastic on that. Dinner is good but portion too little for me. Had to add extra ingredients to the dinner. A minimart is just beside the hotel. wifi is not available in the room. (only in the lobby) There's also a library and pool table. Excellent lake view from the room. Lobby and library can be quite dirty and messy.

The biggest disadvantage to this hotel is that there is no elevators. I had to carry my very heavy luggage up the stairs, 3 levels up. It almost cost my life.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Very helpful evening staff who has great English and is very good on the piano. Nice onsen, lounge and rooms. The corridors were looking a bit dliapidated though and I hit my head on 3 doorways (not necessarily the hotel's fault).
Toyako was a bit of a dissapointment though. There are better onsen towns in hokkaido.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Adventurous_Duo28
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Reservation made with the hotel was quick and prompt. Great hospitality from the owner and all his staff. Travelling on our own, we arrived late in the afternoon from the airport.. Weather was cold and dark then. A courtesy called was made to the hotel prior and we were picked up from JR Toya station by the owner himself. As it was a low peak period for the hotel, we have the hotspring facilities to ourselves. Recreation activities were available to keep the kids occupied too. There is a convenience store next to the hotel,which we went to stock up our snacks. Dinner and breakfast was good and staff serving us were paitence to explained the dishes to us. We were given a room, which we find was too small for a family of 5(4adults and 1kid). Futons were ok but my spouse found his too thin for a good sleep.Room faces Lake Toya and the next morning, we have a beautiful sight right at our windows.

As mentioned, great hospitality from the owner, who has graciously taken his time to show us around Lake Toya the following day before our departure. This act itself, we appreciate it very much.

Once again, thank you Mr Kawanami and team, you have made the stay a memorable one for us.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank honeymeg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sobetsu-cho
The Windsor Hotel Toya
Toya Kanko Hotel
#4 of 16 in Toyako-cho
Daiwa Ryokan Annex
#5 of 16 in Toyako-cho

Been to Hotel Kawanami? Share your experiences!