“Traditional and friendly”

Ryokan Kato
Brussels, Belgium
“Traditional and friendly”
Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

The one night I spent at the Ryokan Kato was booked for me by my japanese friend who works in the area. This is a fine traditional hotel/inn built entirely in wood. We were welcomed with some cold tea and a sweet pastry which was nice after having journeyed six hours from Tokyo by train. My room was large (14 tatamis), highly zen and facing the forest. It was so quiet during the night, a real treat for those like me that are urban born and bred.

There was no shower adjacent to my room but I had the pleasure of using their traditional hot bath facility. Very simple, first you shower yourself and then you emerge yourself in a hot bath/pool located inside or even outside. After being fresh I've changed into a Yukata (a casual summer kimono) and had dinner there with my friend and his wife. The dinner was delicious and the land lady came to see us at the end of the dinner to offer us some wild honey they harvested in the morning from their own bee hive.

I concluded this great evening by playing with the land lady's children and having fun with an app speaking a few japanese usual sentences! As you will have guessed from these few words, this place has tradition and is extremely friendly and family oriented. It was a true delight and a great experience for a European like me discovering Japan for the first time.

I've fond memory of my stay and strongly recommends it. The Ryokan Kato has been a family business for 7 generations and I hope the sotry will continue for another 7.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We stayed in the annex. The rooms are very soundproofed, and have private toilet and sink. They are very large, with a lovely view
The hot springs was lovely. The food was a baby hot pot, and the dinner was vey vey good.
All in all, an excellent plac to stay

Room Tip: Annex is excellent