Trip.com
Vio.com
All reviews tofu worthwhile experience mount koya authentic experience buddhist temple vegetarian toilet monk morning japan inns osaka washbasin mattresses vegetables
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 April 2016

We visited in March/April 2016 and had a wonderful time @Jimyo-in. Our room was overlooking a beautiful garden, food was absolutely delicious and service exemplary. We joined 6:30 am prayers and very much recommend it for a complete experience. Visits to cemetery and temples are a must, and do explore Japanese sweets stores for delicious mochi. During our trip to Japan, we visited Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Koyasan and are truly glad that we did include Koyasan into our itinerary - this was a memorable visit that made our Japan experience an extraordinary one.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2016 via mobile

My husband and I had a truly lovely stay here. We hiked the second half of the Choishi Michi trail (about 10km) up the mountain with all our luggage on our backs, so we were very much looking forward to a restful stay...and it did not disappoint! The room was beautiful, with a fabulous view of the garden. The bath is only open in the evenings, but that suited us just fine after our long hike. At 4pm I was the only one in there. Dinner was brought to our room around 6, and there was so much variety! I have no idea what half of it was, but I found most of it to be quite tasty. Morning prayers were at 6:30, with breakfast waiting in our room afterwards. Even in April it does get quite chilly in Koyasan, so be prepared. It was barely above freezing when we went to the morning service, but it warmed up fairly quickly.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanderingpanda86
Reviewed 3 April 2016

Jimyoin was a great experience. We stayed at a variety of places all over Japan and this one stands out. Though this is not a typical hotel stay, it provided a really great experience. It was interesting to stay in a temple, the monks were incredibly welcoming, and the town (especially the cemetery) is nice to see.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandra1050
Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had a pleasant stay at Jimyoin. We arrived around midday and were greeted by a welcoming monk who took our luggage, advising check in was 2 pm. We were then free to wander this great little town.

After having an explore we returned around 4pm and were shown to our room, given timings for dinner, the communal bathing facilities and how to use the rooms heating etc. We were served hot tea and were able to thaw out as it was quite cold. Our room had a beautiful view out to the garden. The heating was good.

Dinner was prompt at 6 pm served in your room. It's vegetarian only and consisted of lots of tofu. It was all very tasty but by the end I was tofu-ed out. Thankfully a beer helped to wash it down - extra charge.

After dinner our futon bed was made up and we were advised on morning prayer ritual. We then set out to explore the village at night. After we returned I used the communal bath and it was clean, spacious and very relaxing.

It was quite cold when we stayed but the bedding was warm and the heating worked well with no drafts etc.

Morning prayers were COLD. Get there early to get close to the heater. It's a single monk chanting a ceremony, and is worth seeing. On return to the room your bedding is gone and breakfast awaits. More tofu. I didn't each much of the breakfast and thankfully had bought a some bakery items the day before having read previous reviews.

We then we free to explore further before checking out at 11.

All in all its a great location only 10 minutes walk to the main attractions both ends of koya. The service was great, the place was clean and well run and the food was good despite lacking variety.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bradwa76
Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

Jimyoin
We arrived to Jimyoin well before our checkin time and was met at the front door by a monk who kindly stored our bags so we could sightsee.

Returned at 3pm for check-in. We had a garden view room, which did overlook the lovely garden - if you were standing. Due to frosted glass on bottom half of window you couldn't sit in the chairs and gaze out upon it. Not a big issue tho, was still nice.
Room (#254) was clean and we were served tea as soon as we entered. Monk then also ran through time for morning prayers, dinner and breakfast etc while we sipped our tea. There was a tv, humidifier and aircond/heater in the room.
Our room was literally right across the hall from shared toilet - no issues with smells etc.

Dinner (served at 6pm sharp) was vegetarian with the two main ingredients being different types of tofu and mushrooms. I'm not a massive tofu fan, but I ate everything - and of the 10 or so plates there were only 2 that I didn't like and I was tofu'd out by the end of the meal. The meal (if you ate it all) was filling. We paid extra for beer with dinner - 1 bottle was enough for hubby and I to share.

After dinner monk asked us if we wanted to write a wish for them to pray for us at a fire ceremony they hold later in the month - at 500 yen a wish.

Monk laid out our futon bedding after dinner - a little hard (but all beds in Japan are). Although it was cold when we were there (around 5 degrees at night at coldest) we only ran the heater before bed to take chill out if the room and I helped myself to an extra blanket from the cupboard and was toasty warm all night.

Breakfast was underwhelming to my western tastes. There was like a rice porridge served as part of the meal - if you can smuggle some sugar sachets in, it would be fine. Just bland in its natural state. We went looking for more food 'in town' but seems like nothing opens until 11am on Koyasan.

Went to prayers (7am), arrive at least 10 mins early to get good seats (and by good seats I mean right next to the single heater in the room). Room was cold so rug up if there in cooler months. Prayers went for 30mins and honestly by about 15mins in I had seen enough. A single monk chanting, was good to see but not a particularly spiritual experience for myself.

As others mentioned, almost no contact with monks and this is certainly not a spiritual retreat kind of place - think of it as more like a ryokan stay and you won't be disappointed. We enjoyed our time there and thought Jimyoin was a great location and met all our requirements and expectations.

Koyasan/sightseeing
We stayed at Jimyoin on a Monday night in late March. Contrary to other reviews stating the town is overrun with tourists, we found Koyasan to be relatively empty, with no queues or crowds to speak of. The largest group of tourists we saw in one place was about 40 on the night tour of the cemetery.

We hit the major temples and the museum (majority are within about a 20 minute walk from Jimyoin) all that afternoon. Having travelled extensively in Asia, we've seen dozens of Buddhist temples so we did move through them relatively quickly. If you are short on time i'd skip the museum.

We headed out after dinner to see the cemetery at night - it's about a 10 min walk from Jimyoin. We walked around for about 20 mins before heading home. Unsure whether being on a tour would have added to the experience but I much preferred the cemetery during the day (in fact we spent about half a day in there wandering around the next day).
Honestly, glad we went to Koyasan just for the cemetery.

1  Thank Bic-tastic