“Unique accommodation”

Tsutsujiso
Yackandandah
“Unique accommodation”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

First, Tsutsujiso is well placed, right on the beach and a short walk to Benesse house. The yurts look a bit shabby from the outside but they are very nice inside. I would say, though that we arrived on a hot day and they were all closed up and extremely hot on the inside. so if they opened the windows when they know that guests will be arriving that would make the experience so much more pleasant. Although you can eat at the restaurant on site, I wouldn't recommend it. This does pose a problem though because there is nowhere else close - you have to walk 15-20 minutes to get to a restaurant and many of them close early. There are few buses and the last one is about 9pm from memory so we had to take a taxi to return at one point.

You have to pay to use the shower and no towels are provided so all in all it's much more like a camping experience. and it's not that cheap. However, there is no cheap accommodation on Naoshima and after a lot of research I found this to be the best value around.

The grounds were pretty untidy when we were there - it needed a mow very badly and weeds were growing over the path. All-in-all a little bit unloved but none-the-less a good option.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank guykb

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is a different type of lodging than one is probably used to. The tatami-mat huts were a lot of fun, but could be tough if your group is more than 3 (though they supposedly sleep 5). The dining experience is interesting. We went for the Asian options at breakfast and dinner. During the day stroll along the water to visit artist Yayoi Kasuma's giant yellow pumpkin. If you are interested in swimming, I recommend waiting for high tide.

Room Tip: In summer you want to make sure that there is an AC unit - pretty unbearable otherwise. Suggest doub...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cory B
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This experience is rated 5 stars, but it has to be contextualized. This is not a luxury experience. This experience is atypical. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

I stayed in one of the Mongolian yurt tents. I found it to be beautiful, almost transcendent in a weird way. The meal was fantastic, and it encouraged me to step outside of my comfort zone. The hospitality and service was great, if not spectacular. Staying here is all about the experience. I'm not sure there is anything else quite like it, as far as I know. It's right on the island bus loop, so it's a good location in that sense. You cannot walk to too many places from there, but my uncle and I actually did do quite a bit of walking from the location, now that I think about it. it's just not right in the thick of it all.

Only negative aspect is having to walk to the community bathroom. We stayed on the island in the winter. It was cold and rainy so walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night with very little light to guide you was difficult, but it was all part of the greater experience.

I heartily recommend this place to travelers looking for a unique experience. I would definitely come back. There's a palpable romantic element to it all, as well.

Love it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank prmallon
Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We spent one night in a Mongolian tent last year and had a blast. Sure, it's not luxury, but you're right on a beach and the tent/bedding was spotlessly clean. We ordered the dinner + breakfast in advance also, which were very good! The shared shower facilities weren't great (toilets fine) so we did without a shower that night. I recommend booking tent no.1 as it's right on the beach. Beautiful sunset views over the ocean. If you want to do something different, rather than staying in guest houses and hotels all the time - then I definitely recommend this experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lns0706
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I travelled through a few cities in Japan in December of 2010, I had heard about Naoshima and knew I couldn't miss it.
We arrived on the island late at night with no plans of where to stay. Hopped on a bus which took us to a residential area of the island where we didn't see a soul. We started walking and passed by a shared accommodation hostel type place. It was really expensive so we decided against it.

40 minutes later, cold and hungry, we came across Tsutsujiso unexpectedly. Luckily, they were still open and had tents available.
For two of us, we paid around 69,000 for a 4 bed tent which we had to ourselves. Between the hotels we stayed at all over Japan it was probably the least we paid for a night and what an experience!
The tents were heated and cozy in the winter.
The next morning, we awoke to find the most beautiful beach and a view of the yellow pumpkin right outside!
Also we were served a lovely wholesome japanese style breakfast the next morning.

Definitely a highlight of the Japan trip, I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: They have trailers, rooms and yurts. Go for the yurts!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sze-er
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We were really looking forward to staying here as a contrast to the extraordinary Tadao Ando hotel connected to the Benasse Museum - which is the best place I've ever stayed or expect to stay in my life.
When we walked into the yurts at Tsutsujiso the smell of mould inside so overwhelming that I literally could not stay there. Mould isn't just unpleasant, it's also dangerous. I felt very woozy in addition to the mould and discovered that pesticides had just been sprayed all around the base of the yurt just before we arrived. There was nowhere else for us to go so we had to sleep on tatami in the huge communal hall, which was very strange and uncomfortable, although I did appreciate the fact that they found somewhere to put us.
Coud be different now, who knows, but they would have had to completely overhaul the yurts to get rid of the mould.

Room Tip: No yurts! The little tatami cabins looked better, although we didn't get to see inside. Like sta...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank prettyshake
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We spent one night in the expensive and wondeful oval at Bennesse house and our second night went from the top of the hill down to sea level and this inexpensive sweet play house yurt. We got there kind of late and left early but it was a charming place and we loved coming out of the tent to walk a few steps to the Seto Inland Sea. To call it a tent is not quite accurate since there a whole bunch of beds, a floor, and electric lights. The bathroom is a little distance away but it didn't bother us to take a little stroll in the middle of the night. I only wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for #1 as it is closest to the water.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dianoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naoshima-cho
Takamatsu Station
Hotel Dormy Inn Takamatsu
#2 of 66 in Takamatsu
Guest House Omiyake
#1 of 10 in Naoshima-cho

Been to Tsutsujiso? Share your experiences!