“Good place to stay, they charge for breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Luisiana

Hotel Luisiana
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Santa Ana
Los Angeles, California
“Good place to stay, they charge for breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Our plane was very delayed and we stepped in the hotel after midnight but the front desk guy was very pleasant and still took the time to show us around our room. I can't say much about the place because we only stayed a few hours before we had to leave again, but I did notice our room was very spacious with a nice patio seating right outside our door and I saw a pool.

Be warned that breakfast is $11 USD per person. I live in Los Angeles and have had full breakfasts for less than that. I wish during the time that we checked in, asked about breakfast, was seated for breakfast, and shown the menus that someone mentioned the price. There are no prices on the menu and no sign, nothing. It's a bit puzzling why it must be kept a mystery.

Overall it was ok. Free WiFi was helpful and there was also a computer in the room. Out of the 4 hotels we stayed at it was the only that wanted a $100 deposit. I think I got it back? I don't see a charge/debit on my account but I do have a $1.00 charge. When we booked this hotel we even called beforehand to make sure there are no other charges other than the deposit which they confirmed, so not sure what that's all about :(

hotelluisiana, Owner at Hotel Luisiana, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
dear customer you choose the european plan ( you buy in internet ) and was explain that was a plain without breackfast , your next visit please choose breackfast plan for have our favolous breackfast included , we charge 100$ deposit because we are the only hotel in center of america with the new internet goggle tv , pc in room and a lot of forniture .
we charge 1$ in check out only if you checked in with credit card because the bank system in costa rica is older and without this charge is impossible give back your 100$ deposit .....but all this thinks are explained in the wepage where you buy our hotel !
if you take the breackfast without the plan we charge 10$ plus tax because in costa rica all the food with quality are expensive , and we use only quality food!!!
best regards
ivan sala the owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Location was up in the residential area which meant it was very quiet, but also a bit far from many restaurants.

Rooms were clean and modern and partially furnished by IKEA, but that's okay with me. I love IKEA. Beds were so comfy; I was upset that I had to wake up early both nights I stayed there. Curtains were not quite wide enough for my comfort considering people on the 2nd level must walk by to get to their room. TV has free Netflix!! Restaurant had good food, but no proper service. The "waiter" was the guy sitting at the front desk.

The guy at the front desk who sort of resembled Gene Simmons was always friendly and candid with us as we asked a million questions about our transportation options.

GREAT VALUE.

hotelluisiana, Owner at Hotel Luisiana, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
dear customer thank you for your words
we try to improve curtains in this new area of the hotel !
gene simmons is our randall , serve in the hotel from 2010 and is very helpfull
the restaurant is pretty and small and we try to use quality of food but is so small and we don't have the possibility for use a professional weitres ......we use a recepcionist because the hotel is so small and the price is on the flor!
best regards
ivan sala the owner
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Louisiana after some and before more shopping in Santa Ana and Escazu recently. This place is easily accessible from the toll road. The place has secure parking, a 24 hr. desk, was clean and quiet. Prices were very good for the amenities (3 ways to access the internet in your room; desk computer, t.v., and wifi), air conditioning, a king size bed with very nice bedding, spacious nice bathroom, and, in my case a kitchenette. The only thing one needs to be aware of is they require a $100 deposit on check-in. I paid in cash, receiving my deposit back after they inspected the room at check-out. You can leave the deposit via credit card, but then may have to wait a while to be credited back. I will stay there again and will recommend it to friends. Note: The pool looked nice but I did not use it.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

My family rented 5 rooms this month at this quaint Santa Ana hotel. The staff were very helpful in helping us to find destinations etc. The Hotel would probably be close to impossible to find without a GPS. It was listed in our GPS which took us right to it. The security is extremely tight with a motorized gate that they control at the front desk to secure the parking (which is basically in front of the rooms) The rooms are on the large size and very clean. There were no ice buckets in the rooms and I asked the front desk for ice and the gentleman chipped a bowl full off of an ice block for me. As I said great customer service! The hotel consists of two buildings that are conneted by an open air catwalk. If it is raining this catwalk is not covered but each room has an umbrella in it you can use to avoid getting drenched walking to the lobby. The rooms are minus coffee makers but there is fresh free coffee available at all hours in the lobby and it is very GOOD! The bathtubs in some of the rooms are more like plunge pools with very high sides which could be a problem for some people getting in and out of. Great hot water and no problems with water pressure. We also stayed at the #3 ranked hotel in Santa Ana and this hotel is a much better value for about the same price since the mattresses are of great quality and the rooms have air conditioning. The airport is reasonalbly close but a little tricky to get to without a GPS. There are several dining options nearby and Pizza Delivery available directly to your room. We did not try the hotel restuarant but it looked small and cozy. We tried a restaurant across from the Mas x Menos grocery store for breakfast that had a sign that said $3 breakfast. That must have been for toast and water as the breakfast there turned out to be $8-10 each but it was extrememely good. We had a group of 10 and they brought each plate at different times with everyone finished by the time the last person got there plate.

I would highly suggest this hotel for anyone looking for nice staff, a clean hotel with modern amenities and a great value!

Room Tip: 15 and 16 are two great connecting rooms if you need two rooms and have families. 15 has a nice kit...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

Very nice rooms, within walking distance of town square. Safe & secure. Staff was helpful.
I will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed here for one night driving through from the Carribean coast to Manuel Antonio. The bed was very comfortable, clean room and fridge! We paid only $40 for the night! I really don't think you can beat this! We ate breakfast in the restaurant and we were a little surprised that it was over 20 dollars for both of us though. It was a little lacking but overall I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone and we would stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

What makes a difference in any hotel? Attention to detail. Someone at this hotel knows this, with an attention to detail not seen often in this country. Four big pillows on each bed, white clean fluffy towels, clean bathrooms, in room safes, complimentary use umbrellas. Front desk service was very personal. Nice breakfast, fairly priced with your room.

My only criticism: The back fence doesn't really feel secure. The pool is clean and new. loved it, but needs landscaping.

This hotel is out of the way, off the beaten path, great for an overnight until you see the rest of Costa Rica.

Room Tip: A great overnight stay after you arrive at SJO and on your way to Manuel Antonio. Santa Ana is a gr...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#15 of 85 in San Jose
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,190 reviews

Been to Hotel Luisiana? Share your experiences!