“QUE RICO!”

Price range: US$30 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: ¡Do a culinary trip through Italy in a rural late XIX century house! We are specialists in artisanal italian cuisine. We cook with classic and fresh ingredients that give unique flavors to our plates. Inside the restaurant, walls vibrate with art collections, which create different spaces that fill the house with color.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This my absolute favorite Italian/Mediterranean place in Costa Rica. The scallop pasta is to die for, almost literally. I would probably eat there every day if I could. The fish carpaccio (sp?) is also delicious. Surprisingly, the value is tremendous. I went the other day and ordered two main courses, with a good bottle of red wine for $80. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! :)

2  Thank ltweet

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This has to be the best restaurant in Santa Ana. The restaurant is modern and located in a very secluded area - but right in town. The wine selection is fabulous. I had a grilled seafood and vegetable dish that came on a cast iron sizzling plate. Fantastic flavors. My wife had the rib eye with a thick brown sauce. The sauce had potatoes in it but then they also served the meal with a side of mashed potatoes that tasted like they were from a box. No vegetables. The steak was okay but she has had better. Service is always great and the atmosphere is perfect. We will go back.

2  Thank Howard P
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had the Lemon red snapper, served with nero di sepia tagliatelle (squid ink pasta), grilled scallop and saffron cream. The presentation was fabulous and from the first bite I was in culinary heaven! The serving of fish was almost a foot long, flash seared to perfection on one side in lemon juice which added just a hint of crust without over cooking. The saffron sauce was delicate, plated as an aside rather than on the fish itself. The briny squid ink pasta with its unique flavor profile was made in house and was the perfect compliment to the fish.

For dessert I ordered the Filled crepe with nutella, topped with a warm orange and Grand Marnier sauce. The use of Nutella seems quite common in Costa Rica which was surprising but I use it at home so I like the taste. However, this tasted much richer and the Grand Marnier added such depth of flavor. The surprise was a sort of paper thin almond brittle inside the crepe that added crunch and a bit of sweet/salty compliment.

Service was impeccable and I enjoyed a glass of Pinot Gris and one of dry Chardonnay all for about $40 which included a 10% tip.

I thought this meal was an exceptional value and will visit again when I return in a few months. I didn't get the feeling that it was overly formal or stuffy. The atmosphere in the outdoor dining area is very nice and you can view the inner workings of the wood fired pizza maker and the kitchen without them being intrusive.

1  Thank DharmaMtn
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We went there by chance when recommended by another favourite restaurant (which was closed) and had a fantastic meal. The service, atmosphere and food were all excellent. Each dish that the four of us ordered (starters and mains) were cooked perfectly and the waiter was attentive and helpful with the wine selections. I will definitely go back and will recommend this to anyone who asks.

1  Thank kiwithebird
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Loved everything about the dining experience. It is an exceptional restaurant. I will return again and again. I can't think of anything negative except for the price. Do try it!

1  Thank Willow456