“Strange but good”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The big pluses are the breads, Mojitos and appetizers. However I was shocked when we were served our meat on a sizzling tray. Grease was splattering all over us. That absolutely killed it. Beef should be allowed to rest at least 5-8 minutes before serving. I looked around and could not believe the sight of customers hacking into sizzling steaks. I have no idea where this comes from or if anyone that visits this restaurant understands beef's rule number one. We proceeded to get the meat off the iron as fast as possible. But by the time they rested the side dishes (veggies,fries) were cold, soggy and meat a bit over done. I've been to packed restaurants in Costa Rica with horrible food. The local's standards, knowledge and tastes may not parallel yours. Many restaurants recommended to me in Costa Rica have turned out disappointments. Anyways my 5 cents. Also on the plus side the bathrooms, ambiance and exquisite setting.

1  Thank Diane L

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great menu, great food, great wine list, great bread, great salads, excellent beef, and lovely atmosphere! I am happy to have found this place, it's now my favorite restaurant in Santa Ana! I will return every time I come to San Jose!

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Where to start....... Costa Rica is known for restaurants that serve fresh meat... Not aged beef! So when I was told of this gem I had to find out myself...., you walk in and to greet you are some really gorgeous cuts of beef waiting to be cooked! The service was great... The food was great! I will return. Finally found a hidden gem in CR!!!!!

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

The great reviews led us to this place for dinner our last night in Costa Rica and the meal did not disappoint. The ambiance and decor is modern and very tasteful, with beautiful indoor seating, bar and lovely back courtyard which we sat in the doorway of as the night was on the chilly side. Service was warm and friendly, our waiter was patient with our poor Spanish and spoke English when he could as well. If you're used to a proper steakhouse menu the language isn't a barrier anyway as the cuts are pretty universal.

My husband ordered the chateaubriand with the Demi glacé, I got the NY strip and a sweet potato gratin. Our steaks were prepared perfectly medium- cut and seasoned just right. The sweet potatoes were amazing- fluffy with a crisped top. Salad came with the steaks and I loved the house dressing.

For dessert we had the marscyepone glacé which was light and yummy (strawberries were also very fresh). A perfect finish.

The complimentary bread /spreads were also exceptional. Great wine list too even though I got a glass not a bottle.

We loved every bite of our dinner! Great place if you are staying near the airport and want a special meal before you go or to kick off your trip. I'm sure people living in the Santa Anna area will or do enjoy this gem as well.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have been to Doris several times and seen the changes over time. From its roots in Israel, to the new ownership and the expansion, the place is really doing a good job managing the changes and maintaining a great experience and good menu.

Steaks of various cuts and sizes were all very good, as I asked my friends too.

Side dishes with mains were also very tasty.

It isn't too expensive for the quality and experience. Nice place to dine and hang. I will definitely make it back there.