“Just average”

El Rancho de Laly
Ranked #30 of 107 Restaurants in Santa Ana
Cuisines: Latin, Costa Rican, Bar, Spanish, South American, Central American
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Athens, Alabama
“Just average”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I ate at El Rancho de Laly two times during my stay in Costa Rica. The food was simply average in my opinion. Everything was reasonably priced though.

Also, the atmosphere was very loud, and nobody spoke English. The restaurant is a short walk away from Hotel Luisiana. If I did not stay at Hotel Luisiana, I would not have eaten at this restaurant.

Visited March 2013

Grass Valley
“Costa Rican Surprise”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We were attracted to the restaurant by a gentleman standing at the curb motioning for passersby to drive into the restaurant parking lot. We were, in fact, looking for a restaurant, so we decided to try it. It was one of the better surprises we encountered in Costa Rica. Although the staff spoke no English and the restaurant was rather noisy, we were greeted by a very pleasant waitress. She gave us a menu, that was all in Spanish, and left us to our own devices. I noticed a seafood item for about 4,500 Colognes ($9) and decided to try it. It was simply delicious and chock full of a variety of seafood. The food was so good, we decided to make a special trip to the restaurant as our Thanks Giving day meal, in 2012. I highly recommend the restaurant and look forward to being able to go there again, some day.

• Visited November 2012
San Jose, CR
“Really chill place with cheap beer and good boquitas”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

You go to Laly's when you're tired, it's a weekday and you just want some costarican bar food and a beer. The ceviche is good, as is chifrijo. The owner is dedicated, really nice and always at the place checking on everything. He is also an animal lover and has some great fish tanks. Some days the karaoke is a bit loud and intense, but then again it has a regular following. Locals frequent this place and everyone is relaxed and just winding down.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank CorrePolloRenco
San Diego
“Long wait, okay food for a cheap price”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I came here on a Sunday afternoon for cheap eating about 1/2 mile walk from my hotel, Hotel Luisiana. For about $5-$8 you get a decent amount of food. I took my food to go, which I think makes a difference in Costa Rica. I feel that the food suddenly becomes bland/tasteless once you order "to go" (aka "para llevar"). Consider putting spices/sauce on the side before leaving the restaurants, whether you need it or not.

The servers appeared busy (although it was not crowded), so my "to-go" experience lasted about 40 min from start to end. In CR they don't provide plastic utensils/napkins like they do in the US so be prepared.

• Visited December 2012