“Good value, friendly and small”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Casa Alegre / Posada Nena
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Santa Ana
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed here (family, 2 adults one child) for 4 nights and shared a basic, but clean and comfortable room. Very friendly staff, but helps if you have a little Spanish if the owner isn't around. Showers can be temperamental as heat is solar, and water sometimes gets cut-off for short periods over the weekend, but you can't fault the hotel for that. Food as served is good, but as is the way with all of our stay in Costa Rica you can't be quite sure what to expect ! Share a beer and a chat at the bar with the owner for the cheapest beer we were offered in a bar at $2, and he evens buys some back if you have a small 'session' !

Overall, a nice reasonable place to stay...no frills, but friendly and good value

Room Tip: Get a garden room if available
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank James K
GerenciaPosadaNena, Owner at Hotel Casa Alegre / Posada Nena, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Hi James,

Thanks for your review. Hope to see you around again. We fixed the problem with the water supply and installed 6 m³ of fresh water- tanks and an electric water pump, so now always water is guaranteed.
Thanks again for writing,

see you soon,

Volker

There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa Alegre / Posada Nena

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We had my parents stay two nights in early April. We tried to contact the hotel several times via emails and phone calls over a period of two weeks. NOTHING. I just wanted to some info of surrounding areas, and places that my parents could possibly visit as they are somewhat frail and spoke no Spanish. (I chose this hotel mainly because it had a microwave and a small fridge in the room--which helped my parents as they have dietary restrictions and have difficulty eating out.) Very disappointing for us that a hotel can't even return emails or phone calls. I don't find that professional at all. My parents told me that the neighborhood is a bit loud--which is pretty normal in CR. Perhaps this place works for others. Not for my parents.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
PaulDowers_11, Owner at Hotel Casa Alegre / Posada Nena, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry, but the same day you send your only contact via E- Mail to us (12th of March), I, personally answered within 2 hours. Maybe because of your Spam Filter you didn't get the answer on time. I hope, you will find it and see the 30 line- answer, with a lot of travel related information to Costa Rica.
And for your parents- they have been very happy in our place and made another reservation for these weeks. So I think, they felt really well in our place.
Sunny regards,

Volker

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Unhelpful staff. Close to highway & clean, but uncomfortable beds and mediocre breakfast. Better hotels out there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MostAwesomeFamilyEva
GerenciaPosadaNena, Owner at Hotel Casa Alegre / Posada Nena, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

Hi Family Eva,

Sorry, but I think you are confused with our location. Our small Boutique hotel, Posada Nena is very far away from any highway- the next one is more than one mile away (see Google maps- Highway 27). The good thing about the highway is, it bring you to San José within 12 minutes and only one hour to paradise beaches on the Pacific.

Saludos cordials
Minerva and Volker

Reviewed 6 March 2012

I travel to Santa Ana for business every 2 months and stay for @ 2 weeks each visit. I have been staying at this new found gem for more than a year now. The service is excellent ! Nice comfy clean rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, great breakfast, dinner, and attention to detail. The quiet residential neighborhood located in old Santa Ana - Centro is safe to walk around at night. Within walking distance to supermarkets, local restaurantes, pubs, market, central park. Close to the bus line to get you anywhere in Santa Ana, Escazu, San Jose, and throughout the country.
Perfect for business travelers, singles, friends or couples on vacation. There seems to be a fair amount of international guests which adds to the ambieance of the quaint hotel. The owners and staff are international as well with a mixture of German, Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, and of course Costa Rican.
Each room has air conditioning. cable television, wireless internet, in- room safe, telephone, hot water !

You cannot beat the price nor the service !

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room. There are only 2 at this time, but any room is very comfortable
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DannoAsheville_NC

Hi Danno,

Thanks a lot for your review. I hope to seee you in Santa Ana soon. We built some more really beautiful amenities in the Posada and we would be very happy if you will share these with us.

Hope to see you soon,

Sunny regardHi Danno,

Hope to see you soon,

Sunny regard

Minerva

Minerva

Reviewed 27 February 2012

A nice, recently refurnished, little hotel -peacefully located centrally in Santa Ana- in a quiet street away from the traffic. Nice and friendly staff, clean rooms with fridge and air condition, very nice garden in the backyard with a little bubble bath pool (new in 2011).
It is almost like coming home! The staff is helpful and serviceminded.
It takes only 20-25 minutes to the airport with a taxi, it is therefore a nice alternative to stay and sleep at this hotel if you plan to travel around, instead of an expensive hotel in the crowded and more noisy big town, San Jose. Bus transport is also no problem from Santa Ana to the surroundings. Staying at Casa Alegre is quite cheap, too!
I have a daughter who attends the international school, United World Colleges, nearby the hotel - and thats one of the reasons I have stayed at the hotel twice during 2011. And I have already booked a new stay at the hotel in May 2012. I am very satisfied with Casa Alegre/Posada Nena where I feel like home.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank EllenBod_Norway
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Very nice hotel and excellent service by the agency: Gustavo and Volker who work the tour company are really outstanding. They helped organize our entire tour including trips to Tortuguero and Bananito, and we stayed at the Posada in-between and after our tour - it’s a fantastic place to relax after the tours. They even drove us to the airport! They made us feel very welcome; the garden was lovely, food delicious and a nice hot Whirlpool. Hotel offers also free internet, Wi-Fi and free calls to USA. Thanks for a lovely stay. Michael and family

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MichaelDC69
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is located outside of San Jose, in a nice quiet town, so very good if you are avoiding the city, and still be close. Very good to stay if you are arriving from abroad and need a place to hang and relax the first night. Rooms are very clean. It doen't include breakfast, and I don't think it's worth it buying it there, for the price they are giving it, unless you really don't want to care of walking around a bit. So, if you like, I recommend walking to the town center park and find a small eating place.
This place used to have a nice pool. Now it has a small jacuzzi. Depending on your preferences. I preferd the bigger pool. I guess it happend when it changed administration.
Have a nice stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the back or in the secund level, they are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple