“Every great review is true.”

Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Santa Ana B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Every great review is true.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Wonderful place to stay. We stayed last year and three separate nights this trip. We messaged Rita if she had room the night before returning to the states and she did! Changed our plans and headed to Casa Bella Rita. Great decision. Can't wait to return. In the future we plan to stay a few days and explore the area rather use it as layover when traveling to a different area. Every great review is well deserved.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jjjsfish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We've been to Costa Rica many times and stayed at lots of places, but Casa Bella Rita is tops. All the rooms are luxurious, comfortable, and well-appointed. The beds are superb, and it's very quiet at night and in the mornings. The location can't be beat: it's a short drive from the SJ airport, but you feel as if you've retreated to an oasis of calm elegance and efficiency. There's a tranquil view in back across the canyon of farmland, and there are lots of authentic Tico restaurants nearby. Steve or one of the drivers will ferry you to and from the airport. The B&B itself is absolutely fantastic, but Steve and Rita are what really make it shine. They're both incredibly competent, helpful, and friendly. They anticipate your needs, make phone calls for you, haggle with rental car companies on your behalf, arrange taxis and tours, help you figure out how to work your GPS, provide you with wine or beer if you need it--anything you might happen to require, they take care of it. Arriving there after a long trip feels like being welcomed home. Steve is quite a cook, too. The clientele tends to be adult/mature, international, and interesting. The atmosphere is laid-back and privacy is never a problem, but we've also met a number of people there who've given us good tips about CR or simply shared their experiences. We love the place. We've stayed there at both ends of two separate trips, and I can't imagine traveling through Juan Santamaria Airport without staying there again. No question it's the best place we've stayed in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable. Mariposa is obviously the most elegant, and we thought it was worth...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John K
Michigan
Reviewed 15 January 2014

When traveling you wish for a great start and finish. Casa Bella Rita is the best place to start and finish a trip while in Costa Rica. It is also a great place to stay for several days to relax, enjoy the view and tour the area. While there, Steve will prepare great breakfasts and dinners. If you want to plan a trip through Costa Rica, Rita and Steve can help you develop a wonderful trip. They have the contacts and their local knowledge is invaluable.

I have been to Casa Bella Rita several times. One service which Steve provides is a pickup from the airport. After a long flight to San Jose, there is nothing better than walking out of the airport and finding Steve waiting to take you to Casa Bella Rita.

In writing this review, I wondered what other travelers have said about Casa Bella Rita. Here is what they have said:
Beautiful Home Away from Home, On Oasis, Wonderful Kindness, As Always Excellent, Excellent Launch Place, Amazing Hospitality just to list a few of the many comments

My only conclusion is that they are consistently exceptional. The best in Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Camie2
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here on our honeymoon. It is a fantastically beautiful house. The decorating makes it feel as though you are staying in a very comfortable museum. We stayed in the Mariposa room, and I have never seen such a beautiful shower in all my life! It is almost as big as our bedroom at home, and everything is sparkling clean and surrounded by greenery.

One of the best things about this place is the kindness of the owners. When we got to the B&B, my husband and I were at the end of our trip, and we had purposefully tried to run out of cash so that we could get on the plane without having to convert any money to U.S. dollars. We thought that we could probably order food in, considering that we had a somewhat early flight, but we realized that most of the places that deliver only take cash. Our beautiful hosts realized our predicament, and made us a delicious dinner! They went above and beyond to make us feel welcomed and comfortable, even though we were only staying for one night.

The only thing I regret about this experience is that we didn't stay longer. There are beautiful views from the house that we didn't get to appreciate in their entirety. I would strongly recommend that if you stay here, you stay for at least two or three days. I have a coworker who is going to Costa Rica with her husband this summer, and this is definitely one of the places I will tell her they should stay.

Room Tip: Mariposa! Do it!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Attreversiamo
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My sister, husband, son, and I spent 2 weeks traveling around Costa Rica and chose Casa Bella Rita to be our "home base" near the airport. We couldn't have made a better choice. Upon arriving in Costa Rica, Steve picked us up at the airport in the late afternoon and then prepared a delicious meal for us that evening. What a wonderful way to decompress from our long travel day! Rita has a way of making you instantly feel like family or an old friend that is visiting. We felt so at home! The B&B has a beautiful porch & small pool overlooking a canyon-a perfect spot for having a cocktail in the evening while watching the sun set or just relaxing and reading a book. Rita and Steve are both so kind; for instance, when we returned from the first leg of our trip it was a holiday so all the stores were closed. Rita armed us with some small, but necessary items like bug repellent. That's just one of many examples of their hospitality. The next time we visit Costa Rica, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else while in the San Jose area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Peteyblue
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We decided to make Casa Bella Rita our place of rest upon our arrival in San Jose before journeying to Tortuguero and the Sarapiqui region. I also planned to return there as a rest stop before flying home at the end of the trip. I couldn't have made a better choice. I have been to Costa Rica twice in the past and always liked to stay near the airport on the last night before flying home simply for convenience and to lessen any stress surrounding making an early flight. This time I thought it would make more sense to make our "pit stop" a sanctuary of peace and comfort and a little more interesting than the standard airport hotel. I felt great about it before even arriving as I was pleased by the feel of the place through the website and TripAdvisor. I just knew I was going to love it even before I arrived. Steve was waiting for us at the airport as soon as we came out and took us on an easy drive to Casa Bella Rita in Santa Ana, just outside of San Jose. We pulled into a dirt road through a little neighborhood and up to the gate. I was certain that there was a hidden gem behind that gate and boy was I ever right. We walked through the gate into a refreshing court yard with a fountain. We entered the house and you could see right through to the back of the house where there is a beautiful patio/deck overlooking a beautiful canyon. I was immediately attuned to beauty of the space and the very welcoming and open vibe. This was manifested through the actual physical/architectural space but also through the very genuine and caring spirit of Rita and Steve. The place seemed to fit right into it's spot on the canyon, in complete harmony with the landscape. We had arranged ahead of time to have dinner there as we knew we would be tired from traveling. Steve and Rita made us a delicious dinner which we enjoyed with them and two other guests. Be sure to arrange dinner ahead of time if you want to eat there. There is a very reasonable fee per person for dinner. It felt so comfortable, as if you were at a family dinner table. I could go on and on about the ways in which Rita and Steve were thoughtful and helpful but I will spare you the long list of details. Just know that if you have questions/issues/problems/logistical challenges about your trip, they will make an effort to help you solve your problem and have a greater sense of ease. A couple of simple examples were sending us off on one leg of our trip with bug spray when we were running low, helping to figure out logistics of getting to and from the airport for a small hopper plane, letting us store some heavier luggage there while going on a plane with a weight limit, getting up at the crack of dawn to send us off with coffee and breakfast to go when we had to be picked up at 5:30 am and saving another guest from a 4 hour trip to see something special by personally taking her to see the same thing just an hour away. The rooms were very comfortable and stylish. After touring Costa Rica, I was excited to return to Casa Bella Rita before flying home. Some of my favorite things about Casa Bella Rita: Rita and Steve, Rita's baking, photographing the sunset over the canyon out on the patio, the little bridge over the pool, the artwork within the place, breakfast on the patio and the laid back atmosphere. Also, there was a beautiful space for yoga on the second floor overlooking the canyon. I didn't get a chance to practice my yoga while there, but I am certain I will when I return! Casa Bella Rita will definately be my San Jose area home base between my legs of touring Costa Rica from now on. I highly recommend it. I sense that you can be left alone for quiet and privacy or just sit in the kitchen and chit chat with Rita and Steve if you want to engage. I think they can read their guests preferences and needs very well and adapt to whatever makes them most comfortable. That is a real talent and is an expression of excellent people skills. Thank you Rita and Steve. Hope to see you soon!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ronda S
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2014

There's really not much to add to the infinite number of positive reviews about CBR. Steve and Rita are absolutely amazing! It all started even before we booked our flights to Costa Rica for our honeymoon. Rita was very helpful with recommending where to visit and stay, attractions to see, and restaurants to try; booking transportation; and providing other additional tips/information on Costa Rica. All you gotta do is ask and they'll handle it all! They made the whole experience of spending hours traveling and arriving in an unknown foreign country very personable.

After being picked up and driven by Steve, we were welcomed by a trio of dogs - Topo, Ratatouille, and Tintin. They were so loving and super sweet and even laid with me on the patio overlooking the canyon while I enjoyed a nice cocktail that Steve whipped up! The views were stunning and pictures don't even do them justice! We stayed in the Mariposa room even though we originally booked the Canopy room. Rita offered the choice to switch to the Mariposa since it was available. So glad we did too because it was so beautifully decorated and unique!!

All in all, this is THE place to stay! We will definitely be back and staying with StRita again - maybe for an anniversary trip?? =]

Room Tip: The Mariposa room was perfect for our honeymoon!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Santa Ana
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 76 in San Jose

Been to Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!