“Perfect way to end our visit to Costa Rica!”

and 1 more site!
Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Santa Ana B&B and Inns
Roseville, California
“Perfect way to end our visit to Costa Rica!”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Many thanks to our excellent driver, Alexander Hernandez, owner of Alajuela Tours for recommending, Casa Bella Rita for our last night in Costa Rica. After canceling our reservations at a chain hotel by the San Jose airport we booked a room at Casa Bella Rita instead and were thrilled! Rita welcomed us to her beautiful casa and we immediately wished we were staying more than one night. We had a stunning view of the sunset from the patio overlooking the canyon, relaxed by the pool and enjoyed a delicious dinner at a local spot that Rita recommended. Our room was wonderful and we so appreciated all the original artwork throughout the casa. Rita even arranged and paid for our early morning taxi to the airport, got up early to make us coffee and sent us off with some yummy homemade banana bread and fruit for our trip home. What a perfect place to start or end your Costa Rican adventures!

Room Tip: Our room upstairs was amazing with a big, comfortable bed, double sinks and showers and painted my f...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Savveytraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. Our destination was ultimately Uvita, but we needed to find a place to sleep on the 1st and last day, due to the domestic flight schedules. I could tell from the moment Rita and I began emailing, that we were going to have a wonderful stay at Casa Bella Rita. I was proven right about my feeling, the moment Steve picked us up from the airport (complimentary, which is so nice of them to offer!!). Steve is a really laid back, cool guy with good conversation. Rita met us at the doorway and showed us around the house, and to our room. The house is so unique and beautiful! The one wall facing the pool is ceiling to floor windows with a sweeping view of a huge canyon. There are books everywhere, and a living-room area where you can sit, relax, and take in the view. The house is colorful and exceptionally clean, and has tons of Ritas personal touches all around it. Steve made us some kick-a$$ bloody marys and we got to talking by the pool. They really have a great story of how they came to own Casa Bella Rita, but I wont spoil it for you. Oh, and if you are an animal lover, they have 3 adorable little dogs who are so well behaved and love the attention their guests give them.

We had a long flight that morning and didn't really want to get dressed up to go to a restaurant, so Rita offered for Steve to make us dinner. We had Pork Loin with ginger mashed sweet potatoes and garlicky string beans. Everything was perfectly cooked. It really was delicious!!! But we cannot forget Ritas HOMEMADE BREAD!!!!The whole house smelled delicious all day! We went to bed pretty early that night, with an early flight out the next morning that Rita kindly arranged a taxi to come pick us up. She really takes care of her guests with information about how to not get ripped off as a tourist, how much to pay for things, and where to exchange money. It was all very helpful for us.

While we were in Uvita at Rancho Pacifico, I emailed Rita to confirm our arrival and see if she could recommend a good steak place for us to eat. Since we were returning on a Monday, the only good steak restaurant in town was closed, so she offered us to stay for dinner again. I didn't want to impose and ask to have Steve cook again, so I was really happy that she offered :)

We arrived back in the evening, and as we were hanging by the pool, Steve comes over and says "someone told me you were in the mood for steak tonight... so what time do you want to eat?" ... I was floored!! They really listened and gave us exactly what we wanted!! Well, that night, sure enough we had a delicious filet mignon with chimichuri, over grilled cheese, a loaded baked potato, a side of broccoli and more homemade bread. (I failed to mention earlier, that you have a choice of eating in or going out, and there were a couple of other couples that chose to eat in as well, which was nice for conversation about all of our vacation experiences) It was another nice relaxing night at Casa Bella Rita.. only this time I was really sad to be leaving in the morning.

Rita made us a delicious complimentary breakfast... and it basically is anything you want to eat... and we started packing. All tears from there...

My boyfriend actually said on the cab ride to the airport..
"don't worry, we'll take a quick trip back and surprise them one day soon.. well actually.. wait.. I guess we'd have to give them a heads up because they are running a business, and they might be sold out.."
LOL. The comment sums up how they make you forget you are a hotel guest, because you end up leaving feeling like friends.

We cant wait to return!!

Room Tip: The mariposa room is very large with a HUGE dual shower. We loved it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J9doug
Turrialba, Costa Rica
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We had to spend a night in the San José area and decided to try this B&B, after hearing many good things about this place and we are not disappointed! Rita was there to greet us and show us around when we arrived and it is clear that she is the main reason why people feel at home here. The rooms are bright and cheerful and it is clean and really it's just beautiful. The breeze blows through, the sunlight streams in, it feels like Costa Rica! Why would anyone want to stay in a hotel just like all the ones at home when they could choose to stay someplace like this? I love it!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank LisaErb_CR
Dillon, Colorado
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at Casa Bella Rita the last two nights of our wonderful trip in Costa Rica. My husband and I were traveling with our two daughters, ages 3 and 5. We were supposed to end our trip on the coast, but ran into some complications with not having internet (working vacay). Rita was super accommodating and instead of being disappointed for having to leave the beach early we were glad we found this great place! My girls still talk about the little dog, ratatouille, whose nails they helped Rita paint. :) Great breakfast too!! The beds were very comfortable as well. Thanks Steve and Rita!!

We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Everything about Casa Bella Rita was fantastic. First of all it was a great value in terms of price. But the most important value came with the overall experience. Rita and Steve gave us a warm welcome (with a free pick up from the airport) , help with coordinating travel logistics, and wonderful breakfasts. I communicated by email with Rita a lot while I was planning our trip, and every question got a prompt reply. She even told me where to get the best value on duty free wines and liquor, as well as some suggestions for day trips.

This unique Bed and Breakfast was only 15 minutes from the airport and was absolutely beautiful with its airy spaciousness, its artful and electic decor, and its spotless upkeep. We also enjoyed their pet birds (parrots??); they put us in a Costa Rican frame of mind as soon as we walked in.

My husband and I stayed there our first two nights as well as our last night. Since we had such an early departure on the last day, Rita packed some fruit and yummy, homemade banana bread.

We would not hesitate to recommend their hospitality and accommodations and will definitely stay there again. When we left Costa Rica we felt like we were leaving friends…not innkeepers! By the way, I found Casa Bella Rita from a reference on the website of another amazing place we stayed at in the Arenal (Monterrey) area: Leaves and Lizards -- which I would also highly recommend

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautifully decorated. We liked the rooms that opened up to the "Great Room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mimi M
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014

After 3 years I am still recommended Rita and Steve's B & B to everyone I know who are planning a trip of a lifetime to beautiful Costa Rica. In March 2012 this was the first stop on a relatively unplanned 3 week trip with my 7 year old son and 71 year old mother who has terrible osteoarthritis in her knees, is overweight and is quite limited physically. Despite the limitations we all wanted the most adventurous trip possible. Rita offered her assistance and in about a day and a half she organized the entire 3 weeks of our trip (transportation and accommodations) where we travelled throughout the entire country and enjoyed an adventure of a lifetime. While we were staying with these lovely human beings my son got attached to Steve and to their pets. They even made him a bed in their front yard area so he could sleep by the dogs. I have stayed in many B&B's throughout the years but this was by far the best. We LOVE Rita and Steve. They went the extra miles to ensure that our trip in Costa Rica was the best one of our lives. Thank you so much Rita & Steve. Love Phyl, Nikolai, and Lois xooxox

Room Tip: Choose a ground level room if you have difficulties climbing stairs.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Although we have stayed at CBR several times and reviewed it more than once, I wanted to share what is one of the big attractions--a delicious breakfast, usually whatever one's heart desires!

Staying there just a couple of days after St. Paddy's Day, we were treated to a most unusual and scrumptious breakfast of corned beef hash with eggs sunny side up! Steve and Rita are both wonderful cooks with impressive restaurant backgrounds. Steve had brined and seasoned the brisket himself, which he says is no big deal, but it was especially flavorful thanks to the addition of a cinnamon stick. My husband and I considered it quite a culinary event!

Highly recommend this great little B&B! We always enjoy the camaraderie of Steve, Rita, their adorable canines, and other guests. No fitness center or spa, but Rita has a little area for workouts upstairs and can hook one up with a massages, hairdressers, you name it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Peace Lodge
Peace Lodge
#1 of 9 in Heredia
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,237 reviews

Been to Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!