My girlfriend and I just returned from our 6-night Costa Rican adventure. We had initially planned to stay at several hotels throughout our trip, but after one night at Casa Bella Rita, we knew we didn’t need or want to go anywhere else. From the time we arrived, our expectations were exceeded.
Arrival: Prior to leaving the US, Rita was gracious enough to answer all my questions through email and phone (I had quite a few since I’d never been to Costa Rica). There are a couple things to note about the airport and Casa Bella Rita’s location. First, Steve is great about promptly driving guests to/from the airport – and it’s included in the room cost! Second, Casa Bella Rita is in the beautiful hills of San Jose, only 20 minutes from the airport.
Rooms: Perhaps the greatest thing about Casa Bella Rita is the attention to detail. Each room is immaculate, tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Our room, Colibri, had air conditioning, a mini-fridge, a private bathroom with a great shower, cable tv and a small safe. As two people who travel often, we found the room to be exactly what we’d hoped for. CBR overlooks a gorgeous canyon, has a small pool and is very modern throughout.
Service: All the reviews about Steve and Rita making you feel at home could not be more accurate. By the end of our first night, we felt like they were old friends. Rita helped us plan and book activities for our trip, including massages, a canopy tour and day trip to Poas Volcano. We would have felt a little lost without her recommendations and help. During our stay, Steve went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. Make sure you hire Louis to drive you for a day. He’s friendly, knowledgeable and made our trip a lot of fun.
Food: As a chef and foodie, I can vouch for Steve’s great culinary skills! Breakfast was a treat each morning. Steve prepared a great BBQ dinner one evening for us and our new friends. Next morning’s brisket hash made my day. There are many great restaurants in the area. Meme’s is a fantastic little Costa Rican place within walking distance (go for the chicharron casado). We had delicious, affordable meals at Bacchus and La Mar.
Travel Tips: Most of the restaurants, shops, etc. will accept American dollars. ATMs are available everywhere and will convert dollars to colones. Don’t do a currency exchange at the airport – the best rate is from the national bank ATMs. Tips are generally not expected but very appreciated. Just about everything, from cabs to coffee, is very affordable. Most Costa Ricans can speak at least a little English.
Costa Rica is a remarkably beautiful country. There is truly something for everyone. Its people have a kind and generous spirit. Steve and Rita made our trip better than we could have imagined. By the end of our stay, we felt like family. With all our adventures around the volcano, the rainforest, downtown San Jose and Heredia and elsewhere, it’s strange to think that our best memories will be of our goofing off around Casa Bella Rita. We showed Steve and Rita how to win at Euchre (ha), relaxed by the pool, enjoyed many drinks and played with Rata and Topo – the smartest tiny dogs ever. And, oh yeah, their new resident, Lodo the Bird, seemed to take a liking to me. I miss that goofball.
Steve and Rita treated us like family and really allowed us the opportunity to experience Costa Rica. They became more than hosts – they became friends. We’re already planning a return trip. Casa Bella Rita provided unparalleled facilities, service, food and hospitality. What more could you ask for?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Central Valley's finest Bed & Breakfast. Casa Bella Rita is private and luxurious and within minutes of the airport, San Jose, Poas Volcano, coffee plantations, botanical gardens and other popular sites. Complimentary airport pick-up and gourmet breakfasts are included. Each room has a cable TV, AC, honor bar, safe, custom furniture, high quality mattresses and bedding and private bathroom. Perfect for your home base while touring Costa Rica, honeymoons, business travel or your first and last night's stay. Breathtaking views of the canyon, WIFI, computer station and friendly dogs on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Bella Rita Boutique Hotel Santa Ana
- Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed And Breakfast
- Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast Costa Rica/Province Of San Jose - Santa Ana