“Don't Even Think Of Staying Anywhere Else!”

Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Santa Ana B&B and Inns
cincinnati
“Don't Even Think Of Staying Anywhere Else!”
Reviewed 15 April 2009

My girlfriend and I just returned from our 6-night Costa Rican adventure. We had initially planned to stay at several hotels throughout our trip, but after one night at Casa Bella Rita, we knew we didn’t need or want to go anywhere else. From the time we arrived, our expectations were exceeded.

Arrival: Prior to leaving the US, Rita was gracious enough to answer all my questions through email and phone (I had quite a few since I’d never been to Costa Rica). There are a couple things to note about the airport and Casa Bella Rita’s location. First, Steve is great about promptly driving guests to/from the airport – and it’s included in the room cost! Second, Casa Bella Rita is in the beautiful hills of San Jose, only 20 minutes from the airport.

Rooms: Perhaps the greatest thing about Casa Bella Rita is the attention to detail. Each room is immaculate, tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Our room, Colibri, had air conditioning, a mini-fridge, a private bathroom with a great shower, cable tv and a small safe. As two people who travel often, we found the room to be exactly what we’d hoped for. CBR overlooks a gorgeous canyon, has a small pool and is very modern throughout.

Service: All the reviews about Steve and Rita making you feel at home could not be more accurate. By the end of our first night, we felt like they were old friends. Rita helped us plan and book activities for our trip, including massages, a canopy tour and day trip to Poas Volcano. We would have felt a little lost without her recommendations and help. During our stay, Steve went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. Make sure you hire Louis to drive you for a day. He’s friendly, knowledgeable and made our trip a lot of fun.

Food: As a chef and foodie, I can vouch for Steve’s great culinary skills! Breakfast was a treat each morning. Steve prepared a great BBQ dinner one evening for us and our new friends. Next morning’s brisket hash made my day. There are many great restaurants in the area. Meme’s is a fantastic little Costa Rican place within walking distance (go for the chicharron casado). We had delicious, affordable meals at Bacchus and La Mar.

Travel Tips: Most of the restaurants, shops, etc. will accept American dollars. ATMs are available everywhere and will convert dollars to colones. Don’t do a currency exchange at the airport – the best rate is from the national bank ATMs. Tips are generally not expected but very appreciated. Just about everything, from cabs to coffee, is very affordable. Most Costa Ricans can speak at least a little English.

Costa Rica is a remarkably beautiful country. There is truly something for everyone. Its people have a kind and generous spirit. Steve and Rita made our trip better than we could have imagined. By the end of our stay, we felt like family. With all our adventures around the volcano, the rainforest, downtown San Jose and Heredia and elsewhere, it’s strange to think that our best memories will be of our goofing off around Casa Bella Rita. We showed Steve and Rita how to win at Euchre (ha), relaxed by the pool, enjoyed many drinks and played with Rata and Topo – the smartest tiny dogs ever. And, oh yeah, their new resident, Lodo the Bird, seemed to take a liking to me. I miss that goofball.

Steve and Rita treated us like family and really allowed us the opportunity to experience Costa Rica. They became more than hosts – they became friends. We’re already planning a return trip. Casa Bella Rita provided unparalleled facilities, service, food and hospitality. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ryancP2750XS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 April 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at Casa Bella Rita for a week. We were celebrating our anniversary and I could not have thought of a better way to spend that time. Steve and Rita were so welcoming that we felt like we were staying with long time friends. The Canopy room was so beautiful, spacious and comfortable. It was truly a privilege to wake up and eat a delicious breakfast overlooking breathtaking views every morning.Steve and Rita went out of their way to make our anniversary dinner special.

Rita encouraged us to get out and do some sightseeing and was wonderful in arranging our tours. We enjoyed spending the day with their driver Louis. He was patient , helpful and very knowledgeable. We cannot wait to return to Casa Bella Rita and next time we'll bring our families!!

1 Thank Vanntastic
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 2 April 2009

After two years of diapers, work, pets and all of the other chaotic joys in life, my husband and I were ready to "runaway" for a few days. We just so happened to run right into the perfect escape at Casa Bella Rita. Words almost can't describe how great our stay was at Casa Bella Rita.....but I'll try anyway ! Steve and Rita were warm, friendly and inviting people who make you feel as though you are the most honored of guests in their gorgeous house overlooking the canyon. Rita took the time to set up and plan our week for my husband and I, we didn't have to think about anything while we were there and just got to enjoy being together. The breakfast was wonderful, the rooms were spotless and my husband and I enjoyed 4 nights in paradise away from all of the hustle and bustle of our life in the States. We will venture back soon and have already talked other people into going down and experiencing "Pura Vida" for themselves.

1 Thank k8t1023
Brooklyn
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Our stay at Casa Bella Rita was great. Steve picked us up at the airport and chatted with us over a bottle of wine. He was a great host. Sadly Rita was out of the country so we were not able to meet her. The house is amazing as was our room. We stayed in the room off the courtyard. The back patio overlooking the canyon was where we spent most of our time. Our only regret is our stay was too short. We would love to go back.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank landm04
Troncones, Mexico
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We stayed with Steve and Rita for just one night and had the most amazing experience. From the minute you walk in you feel as if you are in a close relatives home. Steve and Rita are so easy going, the other guests seemed to be the same. It was truly like being with a big family. The house is magnificent and so was the room we stayed in. Extremely comfortable. The hosts could not do more to please us. We are planning on another trip next year and will definitely return to see and stay with 'our friends'. Thanks so much for everything.

1 Thank shoshani
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I've travelled extensively in Latin America, and for extended periods (7 countries), and I can say this is the best place I've ever stayed. It combines the down-home hospitality of its Michigan owners with beautiful rooms, a fantastic view of a canyon upon which the house is perched, and relatively convenient access to San Jose.

The prices of the gorgeous, very clean rooms are very fair, and the owners do all the little things that make travellers happy--from arranging transportation and adventures and personal massages, to providing a minibar and air conditioning (neither of which are common in Latin American hotels). In fact, they combine well the sort of concierge service you'd get at a five-star hotel with an intimate friendliness.

They were so friendly, I kept having to remind myself I was staying at a place that I actually had to pay for--felt more like a good friend's home. I can't wait to go back.

The one odd thing--and this is tripadvisor's fault--is that Casa Bella Rita has been moved by tripadvisor and is now hard to find on this website. This is not right, since the other top three B&B's are listed in San Jose, yet they are not really in the city either, but in the suburbs, as Casa Bella Rita is. I hope Tripadvisor corrects this problem so we can all find this place more easily.

1 Thank engkzl2
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Casa Bella Rita was a great start to an amazing vacation. My wife and I passed through San Jose, where we had to stay for a night on our way to the Pacific Coast for a stay in Drake Bay. Prior to arriving, I confirmed everything with Rita who told me that Steve would meet us across the street from where we would exit the terminal. He was in a spot out of the way from all of the taxi drivers who are a bit ambitious at trying to get you to ride with them. It was nice to have a friendly face there waiting for you, who speaks your language, and who knows exactly where to take you. After a relatively short drive from the airport, you turn off of the paved road onto a dusty dirt path that leads to the B&B. Don’t let the surroundings fool you, because passing through the entryway is like entering the Garden of Eden. The B&B has beautiful vegetation throughout with many pretty flowers and the colors of the house add to the splendor. The back of the house leads to a patio with a grand view of the canyon that it sits atop and the San Jose countryside. Our room, the toucan, was well appointed with a king size bed and a view overlooking the front garden. It had a well stocked mini bar and a few snacks that are provided on the honesty system. As we settled in we had a few drinks and enjoyed the view of the canyon. For dinner, Rita recommended Meme’s, which is a short walk away. They offer authentic Tico food, but they didn’t speak any English, and my Spanish was a bit rusty, but we ended up getting some delicious fajita chicken. If you prefer something else, they can arrange for transportation to pretty much anything you want to eat within a short distance. After dinner we chatted with another couple and Rita and Steve on the back porch. Steve is like a crazy uncle and Rita like a sweet aunt that you never had. They treat you like guests in their own home--because you ¬are guests in their home. They also have two cute dogs who like affection, but they are not overbearing at all if you’re not much of a dog person. We went to bed early after a long day of traveling, and woke up the next morning to our only complaint. The neighbors had a noisy dog that yapped all morning. It’s not something that is necessarily in their control but it was hard to wake up peacefully to the persistent noise. For breakfast, we were asked what we wanted to eat and chose pancakes. We had some wonderful fluffy cakes, with bananas on top and a bowl of fresh fruit as a side--it was delicious. Shortly after breakfast, Steve drove us to the domestic airport where we caught our flight to the coast. Saying bye to our hosts was like saying goodbye to family. If we ever come back to San Jose, we definitely know where we will be staying. Casa Bella Rita is such a great deal, especially if you get a ride to and from the airport.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Ana
Apartotel La Sabana
Apartotel La Sabana
#3 of 77 in San Jose
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela

Been to Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!