Full-Day Preah Vihear, Koh Ker and Beng Mealea Private Tour

Book in advance
from
£156.12
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Koh Ker Temple
from £156.12
More Info
from £61.64
More Info
All reviews koh ker siem reap wooden steps central america pyramid shape long drive pyramids linga temple visitors stairs structure condition countryside distance sr
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A day trekking tour is a delight in Koh Ker. The long leisure walk for about an hour through a brush of greens and gigantic trees is such a cool and wonderful sight to be upclose with nature. This is a remote archeological tour that will lead you to the ruins of the hidden temples in Beng Melea. The stones and rocks of the ruined temples remained untouched and unreplaced all through these years. I am amazed by how the government and the locals have preserved history through its original form. There is more way to go because at the far end of the trek and tour will make you mArvel at a more wonderful site.

Date of experience: April 2014
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is an amazing wide area to explore, where the hords of tourists are still far away from coming.
I was here in the early morning with my driver Sokra on a three days Easy Rider tour by scooter, and we enjoyed each temple with no tourist around, being the only visitors for several hours. Prasat Pram is simply stunning with all those invasive creeping roots wrapping each prasat.
And when the sun rises the light is simply wonderful and you can be rewarded by magic photos.
Another must-see spot is the maya-like pyramid, Prasat Thom, that can be climbed easily, with a newly built safe staircase, allowing people to experience amazing views from the top.
The area is wide enough to need a quick way to move from one temple to the other on dirt paths, and a scooter proved to be the best choice, fast and safe.

Date of experience: January 2014
4  Thank maxscuba
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This Temple is unique within itself. It differs from all other Temples in Cambodia. You can walk around the Temple looking up from all aspects. I went there with Rin Ra [www.cambodiaincomfort]. A must see for the Temple enthusiasts.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Uniquely different from other temples and genuinely breathtaking with fantastic view from the top (climb is steep but you don't have to be fitness freak to make it to the top). Not many come this way and good photos can be taken easily without competing with tens of other tourists. Bang Malea and Koh Ker can be easily done in one day without rush (we left Siem Reap just after 7am and were back at 3pm). Road is in a good condition and drive through local villages very interesting. Koh Ker pass is $10 (on top of $5 for Bang Malea).

Date of experience: March 2014
3  Thank Goran T
Reviewed 12 March 2014

At a glance one might be forgiven if one thought this was in the Yucatan Peninsula. Of all the sights in Cambodia this one is unique, evoking with its shape not only its Mexican counterparts but also Egyptian pyramids as well.

We came to Koh Ker after visiting Prasat Preah Vihear. It was a long drive on well-paved asphalt roads, through the vast green fields of Northern Cambodia. Then we came upon a forest, the tickets to Koh Ker paid, and we entered a road partly asphalt, partly earth, and when we finally stopped I was surprised to see two rows of hawker's stalls selling anything from coconuts to wind chimes and, of course, the inevitable Angkor-themed T-shirts. It seemed that the idea of an isolated temple in the jungle is no longer possible nowadays.

Beyond the commercial establishments lay largely ruined temples and gateways, and then, through a broken gate was the Prasat Thom, the seven-tiered pyramid of Jayavarman IV. Wow! It was almost as grand a first glance as my first sight of Angkor Wat itself three days ago. It send shivers up my spine to see, for the first time, the mysterious and ancient shape of a pyramid.

I clicked away with my camera. It was huge! I spied the ruined stone steps, and the rickety wooden stairs which was missing a lot of steps, which means that climbing up was not possible. Ouch. Nevertheless, I marveled at the unusual shape of this temple, although unlike Angkor one shouldn't expect devatas and bas-reliefs galore. And, above all, the place was quiet - no busloads of noisy tourists, no chatter, just me and the Cambodian family that went with me on my solo tour. It was peaceful as I walked around the massive structure.

After my Cambodian friends made a little shopping, we departed and followed the road through the forest and saw even more temples, all of them quite ruined. We visited one, Prasat Chrap, which was even more remote. We then followed the road out to visit Beng Mealea.

Date of experience: November 2013