Full-Day Preah Vihear, Koh Ker and Beng Mealea Private Tour

Book in advance
from
£157.51
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Koh Ker Temple
from £157.51
More Info
from £62.18
More Info
All reviews koh ker siem reap wooden steps central america pyramid shape long drive pyramids linga temple visitors stairs structure condition countryside distance sr
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 September 2014

As part of an extended trip across Europe and Asia, our tour guide selected this area for one of the best ruins experience in Cambodia. With only a few visitors here and there, and no large tour buses, we generally had the place to ourselves which made it very pleasant. Some of the bigger sites have so many visitors that it is often difficult to even walk around.

While walking among the ruins at Prasat Pram, and soaking up the history of the area, I came upon one small temple ruin that had especially photogenic roots wrapped around it. A small group, likely a three generation family, had selected this small temple as a backdrop for a group family photo.

One member of the family had a mobility issue and so I wandered away to do photos elsewhere and came back in about ten minutes. The family had completed their photos and were standing in the middle of the area that I wanted to shoot my photo. I waited about five more minutes and it was obvious that they were just chatting about their next stop.

I then asked if it would be possible for them to move over about ten feet so that I could get my photo. With that the male in the group, posed with his hands high in the air and sternly said that I should take a photo of him. He made some "complimentary comments" about "Rich Americans" and so I took a photo of him blocking my best view of the ruins.

His comments did not sit well with the women in the group, who immediately moved away, and when I last heard them, they were not complimenting him on his behavior and comment either.

Date of experience: August 2014
Reviewed 1 September 2014

It is very good to get out off the busy attraction of Angkor, these temples is a bit far form Angkor, but it takes only 1hrs and a half hours of 140km. The monuments are ruined by nature and civil war. I love the big pyramid temple with a high and steep stairway and others small but it exist the huge phallus of Hindu Gods. I would also recommend to stop at Beng Melea of the way back.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We combined Preah Vihear, Koh Ker and Beng Mealea temples in a two day trip from Phonm Penh to Siem Reap. We rented a big car that fitted our big family of 6 for 110 usd per day (pay for own gas). It is so relaxing to visit temples where no other visitors travel. We slept close to Preah Vihear. Roads are fabulous everywhere now. No need for a guide in Koh Ker except maybe for Preah Vihear. You can climb Koh Ker pyramid temple via a newly built wooden staircase at the back. Fantastic experience and great views.

5  Thank 800lievenv
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a complex of temple ruins about an hour's drive from Siem Reap. One you arrive in the vicinity, with good organisation, you could joy a few hours' hike to different locations to savor the atmosphere, soak in a thousand years of history, and even give your legs a good workout by climbing o the top of the pyramid temple.

In one of the temples, a film set of village huts was still standing and this spoilt the scenery a bit.

You would need to hire a car for just over $100, including petrol and driver, to see all the temples. Heng was a professional guide and he showed me the best pots to take photos from.

I recommend this visit if you have a second destination to choose, after a day at Angkor Wat, Ta Prom and Bayon. Make it t least three days in Siem Reap.

3  Thank Bornean
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We took a taxi out to Koh Ker and Beng Mealea for $100, which I think was about $10 too much. It took right at about 2 hours to arrive. The temple was pretty cool - a way different style than the ones near Siem Reap. While at Koh Ker was stopped at Prasat Pram, which is the first one on the left as you enter the complex. It was really cool - as roots were overtaking the building. If you go during rainy season, the path around Koh Ker might be water covered. We were wearing sandals, so no big deal. It was a good drive through the rural countryside as well.

2  Thank brandasa