Full-Day Preah Vihear, Koh Ker and Beng Mealea Private Tour

Book in advance
from
£155.90
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Koh Ker Temple
from £155.90
More Info
from £61.55
More Info
All reviews koh ker siem reap wooden steps central america pyramid shape long drive pyramids linga temple visitors stairs structure condition countryside distance sr
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 February 2024

Koh Ker has a few beautiful spots to see, but you also get to clime a pretty tall temple. There is a wooden staircase built at one corner of the temple, so it may look imposing, but it wasn't bad at all. But go early before it gets too hot and humid. The view was fantastic!

This temple is not included with the Angkor Ticket, it cost us $10 each. Koh Ker is 2 1/2 hours (110 km) northeast of Siem Reap---a bit of a drive, but we paired it with Beng Mealea (which was SPECTACULAR) to make the time more worth it. You can buy the Koh Ker ticket at Beng Melea. Really glad we went, we had a great day.

Date of experience: November 2023
3  Thank HMKaren
Reviewed 24 September 2023

Located about 80 miles from Siem Reap, recent improvements in infrastructure have made this a day trip from the town. The area served as the singular capital of the Khmer Empire from 928 to 944CE under Kings Jayavarman IV and Harshavarman II and is vast by non-motorized standards; 42 structures dot a landscape of over 30 square kilometers. In just a few decades the area has gone from being one of the most heavily land mined in Cambodia to a being inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list exactly a week before I posted this review. If a trip to Beng Mealea (see separate review) reminded me of Indiana Jones scaling unsteady temple ruins with a whip in his hand, a trip here was the rough equivalent of Indy running through the jungle while dodging poisonous blow-darts from painted indigenous tribes (not really, but you get the idea.)

I visited here on a day trip from Siem Reap after seeing Prasat Preah Vihear (see separate review) at the Cambodian border. My visit consisted of seeing maybe a half dozen structures, starting with Prasat Pram. These towers were entirely engulfed by strangler figs, making Ta Prohm seem well manicured. A climb up the seven stories of Prasat Thom followed, with sweeping views over the local countryside and slight trepidation about the descent down the skinny wooden stairs. A visit to a few smaller temples followed, with my guide explaining the various ongoing restoration processes. Total time onsite was maybe 90 minutes.

This was an above average visit for two main reasons: a complete lack of crowds and insight into archeological refurbishment. The former was perhaps less pronounced having just visited Preah Vihear, but welcome nonetheless. I literally had the entire seven-story temple to myself for the entire time which was an enjoyable respite from the moderate hustle and bustle of the Angkorian temples closer to Siem Reap. The latter was more due to my guide than any formal didactics, but I did get to see the amount of time and effort that goes into making a site “UNESCO worthy” which was impressive. The downside is somewhat obvious: access. It’s a bit off the beaten path but can be done for “only” a few hundred dollars with an independent guide via Tours By Locals.

Recommended.

Date of experience: July 2023
7  Thank midway42
Reviewed 19 September 2023 via mobile

I's been visit this temple for one day tour to Preh Vihea temple. The temple was gorgeous quiet,and less tourist that know it. I am really surprised that the Fabolous once hidden. It was a bit short time after Preh Vihea temple but I will reschedule once again next time just for this temple group.

Date of experience: September 2023
Reviewed 27 February 2023

Today I have been koh ker temple group i feel lovely & Great time with my family , I want to recommend the tourist spending one day visit all these temple because they are very beautiful & some temple still has got good condition , Oh siem reap to ko ker temple spend 2h,30minute for one way by car taxi ..

Date of experience: February 2023
8  Thank angkor wat t
Reviewed 1 February 2023 via mobile

Koh Ker is a couple of hours drive from Siem Reap so is it worth it? Probably not unless you are heading that way (I was travelling to Strung Treng) or you are very much into your history.
It’s similar to Bakong temple inasmuch as it’s a pyramid shape although it is much taller. It’s 169 steps to the top, (the wooden steps are at the back) and so it offers good views of the surrounding countryside. Also because of the distance from SR it only gets a few visitors. I gave it a 4 because once you’re there it is very good. Probably best to do along with Kulen mountain

Date of experience: January 2023