“Unaccommodating...”

Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sorrento
Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort
Vancouver, British Columbia
“Unaccommodating...”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

On Sep 9 in the evening I was travelling from Kamloops and was delayed several hours then rerouted from Falkland due to a forest fire. It was necessary to travel an unfamiliar backroad in the dark to get back to the highway because of the fire -- by the time I reached Sorrento, I was stressed out, hungry, had to use the washroom, so decided I needed to stop for the night -- I stopped at the Shuswap Lake Motel & Resort to enquire about their room rates and decided not to acquire a room because I felt the rate was high. I believe I politely voiced that opinion. Even though I wasn't renting a room, I asked if I could please use their washroom and was told that I couldn't and their was an outhouse down the road. Even though I wasn't staying at the motel, I feel that it was incredibly cruel & rude of the proprietor to not allow me to use a washroom.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank msjobee
Don1127372, Owner at Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
In response to the "unaccommodating" review, it is unfortunate that this lady was detoured and had to travel on unfamiliar roads. The rate we quoted her was $79.00 which is a very competitive, if not lower rate, for our area. When she asked to use the washroom, she was directed 200 meters down the road to the public washroom that the community had installed for this purpose. It is an "outhouse" built to the same standards and maintained as other washrooms on the highway are. We do not have a washroom in our office and it is our policy not to allow people to use our personal washroom in our house.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at the Shuswap Lake Motel while attending a music camp/workshop at the adjacent Sorrento Centre site. Again this year, the duplex cabin was more than adequate for my needs, spacious, well-equipped, clean, quiet, sunny and cool in the daily sun and warm in the cool of the night. There's no urban "bling", but all of the essentials are here and the staff and owners are friendly and accommodating. Outside my door were amenites for the kids and apple trees with ripening fruit to taste. The town of Sorrento is a short 3-5 minute walk away for any provisions and the beach is a short walk down a forest-covered path.
Be aware that the motel is adjacent to the highway and although traffic slows to go through Sorrento, there is the muted sound of large trucks passing. This never bothered me but if you're seeking absolute silence, you may find it a bit irritating.
Thanx to Don and Sheree for a great, economical and hospitable stay.

Room Tip: North facing rooms will be quieter, but not as sunny and part of the site is a campground with campe...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank david_ex29
Leduc, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed in the campground portion of the Resort. The owners do a very good of keeping the place clean and tidy and are vey friendly..
Place is great for kids as they have tons of play areas and toys, from a large sandbox (including toys) to a full size trampoline and three play sets (swings, slides, etc etc)..
A gas station, pizza place, and full market is a walk away..
Showers are free.

Bad parts (not the fault of the owners) is its location.. It has access to a private beach but its a rough walk (6 minutes downhill, 15 minutes uphill LOL), and the 'resort' is only 100 ft from the main hwy (bring earplugs!!)..

I would recommend this place to anyone who is NOT looking for the quiet 'back to nature' camping experience. Would also make a great 'stop over' place for those travelling long distances.

P.S. If you like Bluegrass music, the third week in August, Sorrento has a music festival just north of the "Resort".. If you hate bluegrass BRING EARPLUGS as it goes on day and night!

Motel was always full when we stayed their, but the owners were able to find camping spots for anyone who need it..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank hippydog
Airdrie
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Just wanted to send a huge thank you to everyone at Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort. Our family had an absolutely amazing time during the end of July. They have built and maintained a beautiful spot that has something for every style of 'camper' and sooooo much to do for little kids. We had our 70+ year old grandparents to a 7 month old baby and everyone loved their stay. Very easy to find off the highway and all the conveniences of town a super short walk away. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Quite a variety of spots from little cabins to tenting sites to gravelled RV sites. Owners are very...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandi_Airdrie
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We were delighted with the grassy setting, and individual/duplex cabins. On entering the room we found it was light and airy, and had fridge, A/C and much more. The hosts were able to help me get Wi-fi onto my laptop, and contact friends in the area, using their phone. Wonderfully friendly. Easy access to beach and back from the highway- so very quiet. Would have stayed longer but they were fully booked.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mandbr_travel
Bowen Island, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We went up to see the spectacular Adams River sockeye salmon spawning, and needed a place nearby. This place had the only vacancy within 50 kms, and seemed a bit pricey, but we eagerly grabbed it.

As it turned out, we were so comfortable there, we were reluctant to leave. Older, fairly minimal 1br units, but spotlessly clean, newly repainted, with new appliances and a full, well stocked kitchen. Ours could have slept 5 people, and in front was a terrific kids' play area. Each pair of units share a bar-be-cue, again near new and meticulously clean.

A lakeside beach is a few minutes' walk away. Sorrento is not a tourist mecca, believe me, but it has places to eat if you like pizza, and hosts an annual music festival.

There is road noise (located beside the Trans Canada Highway), but somehow it did not bother us- this is a roadside motel, after all.

The proprietors have been there 18 years, and their care, attention, and enthusiasm for their business and the area, make them ambassadors for the hospitality industry of the region.

I'd go again, just to visit them.....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter F
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2010

very good family motel and resort
had lots of fun , clean and very good owners

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Bakerfair
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Chase
Selah Retreat B&B
Selah Retreat B&B
#1 of 5 in Sorrento

Been to Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort? Share your experiences!