“n.5 family reunion”

Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort
Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Hello, it's not the newest place on the block, but very very clean. The location reminded me of days gone past.The grounds were kept clean at all times. Plenty of space for the kids. The walk to the lake was pleasant and a relaxing stroll through some very old forest and only took a few minutes, so don't let this discourage you.
The owners and staff were most pleasant. Don even played a few chords with me when I was sitting outside practicing.

Room Tip: It's hard to rate value if a person has not stayed in any other properties nearby. All the rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JoeN218

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Resort is close to the water. Very friendly owners made the stay comfortable. Staff ensures that your rooms are always clean with fresh towels. A great place to stay for someone looking to spend an extended time in Sorrento.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fraser G
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Great location easy to find. Well presented gardens with a playground for children. It's not a 5* hotel but it offers good value for money. Friendly owners, willing to offer plenty of advice on what to do.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank sammi15
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Whenever my work schedule has me in the Sorrento area, my first call is to Don & Sherri at the Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort, to reserve one of their kitchen units. I always find them to be clean, quiet, and comfortable. The sleeping room feels more like a room at your best friends place than a motel. Each unit has a barbeque outside the door, so you can relax with a cold beer outside, while your steak dinner is cooking. I usually do not watch TV, but they have recently added digital music to their cable package. There are enough choices to satisfy any musical taste. The grounds around the resort are well kept. I can only imagine the time the Mitchells spend to keep the yards so neat I have stayed here during all three seasons that they are open. Plan a stay in spring. Sitting outside, in the early evening, with the fragrance from the blooming Lilacs - priceless. I have on several occasions extended my stay just to be able to spend another night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank RICHARD D
Reviewed 14 September 2012

On Sep 9 in the evening I was travelling from Kamloops and was delayed several hours then rerouted from Falkland due to a forest fire. It was necessary to travel an unfamiliar backroad in the dark to get back to the highway because of the fire -- by the time I reached Sorrento, I was stressed out, hungry, had to use the washroom, so decided I needed to stop for the night -- I stopped at the Shuswap Lake Motel & Resort to enquire about their room rates and decided not to acquire a room because I felt the rate was high. I believe I politely voiced that opinion. Even though I wasn't renting a room, I asked if I could please use their washroom and was told that I couldn't and their was an outhouse down the road. Even though I wasn't staying at the motel, I feel that it was incredibly cruel & rude of the proprietor to not allow me to use a washroom.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank msjobee
Don1127372, Owner at Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

In response to the "unaccommodating" review, it is unfortunate that this lady was detoured and had to travel on unfamiliar roads. The rate we quoted her was $79.00 which is a very competitive, if not lower rate, for our area. When she asked to use the washroom, she was directed 200 meters down the road to the public washroom that the community had installed for this purpose. It is an "outhouse" built to the same standards and maintained as other washrooms on the highway are. We do not have a washroom in our office and it is our policy not to allow people to use our personal washroom in our house.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at the Shuswap Lake Motel while attending a music camp/workshop at the adjacent Sorrento Centre site. Again this year, the duplex cabin was more than adequate for my needs, spacious, well-equipped, clean, quiet, sunny and cool in the daily sun and warm in the cool of the night. There's no urban "bling", but all of the essentials are here and the staff and owners are friendly and accommodating. Outside my door were amenites for the kids and apple trees with ripening fruit to taste. The town of Sorrento is a short 3-5 minute walk away for any provisions and the beach is a short walk down a forest-covered path.
Be aware that the motel is adjacent to the highway and although traffic slows to go through Sorrento, there is the muted sound of large trucks passing. This never bothered me but if you're seeking absolute silence, you may find it a bit irritating.
Thanx to Don and Sheree for a great, economical and hospitable stay.

Room Tip: North facing rooms will be quieter, but not as sunny and part of the site is a campground with campe...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank david_ex29
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed in the campground portion of the Resort. The owners do a very good of keeping the place clean and tidy and are vey friendly..
Place is great for kids as they have tons of play areas and toys, from a large sandbox (including toys) to a full size trampoline and three play sets (swings, slides, etc etc)..
A gas station, pizza place, and full market is a walk away..
Showers are free.

Bad parts (not the fault of the owners) is its location.. It has access to a private beach but its a rough walk (6 minutes downhill, 15 minutes uphill LOL), and the 'resort' is only 100 ft from the main hwy (bring earplugs!!)..

I would recommend this place to anyone who is NOT looking for the quiet 'back to nature' camping experience. Would also make a great 'stop over' place for those travelling long distances.

P.S. If you like Bluegrass music, the third week in August, Sorrento has a music festival just north of the "Resort".. If you hate bluegrass BRING EARPLUGS as it goes on day and night!

Motel was always full when we stayed their, but the owners were able to find camping spots for anyone who need it..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hippydog

Been to Shuswap Lake Motel and Resort? Share your experiences!