“Great olde worldeeee pub with character”
Review of Ye olde globe

Ye olde globe
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional Village Pub based in the heart of Berrynarbor. Serving good food and fine ales. Family friendly and dog friendly.
Plymouth
“Great olde worldeeee pub with character”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I love this village and the pub, atmosphere is just what you expect from such a quaint pub.
I have visited the pub on a number of occasions and nearly always had food which I can honestly say has always been of the highest standard. On this occasion I went with my daughter and twin grandsons just for a drive out and a drink, we had help with getting high chairs and lots of offers of help with the twins. All food is sourced locally and yes if I had a meal that was cold I would expect it to be reheated in a microwave, but I never have had a bad meal yet, and I have been going here since 2006. Staff and management do a cracking job and yes the place is a little wonky on the floors but it's something like 400 years old. As for the decor, it's what fits the type of pub it is, if your going there expecting all mod cons and up to date decor then give it a miss, but if you like traditional old pubs with great friendly staff who when asked will cater for most needs if possible I suggest a visit.

Visited September 2013
kazzacoogle, Owner at Ye olde globe, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thanks for your review,
It's lovely that you keep coming back to us when you are in the area, and it was lovely to meet your gorgeous grandsons.
Thank you for recommending us.
Hope to see you again soon. x

Aldershot, United Kingdom
“Quaint Olde Worlde Pub”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Good beer and wine. Open wood burning fires. Standard pub menu but with 6 to 8 specials on the blackboard. Ate there twice in a week and thoroughly enjoyed our visits. Our accommodation was within walking distance of the pub so it was very handy.

• Visited March 2014
kazzacoogle, Owner at Ye olde globe, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed visiting the Globe and hope that you will return next time you are in the area.
Woking, United Kingdom
“poor”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We were looking forward to this visit after reading previous reviews, probably easiest to list what disappointed us!
1. Why is the dining room listed as table service when this is clearly not the case? ' Please ask and we will show youtoa table ' . Or not......
2. When we ordered wine we were told that we couldnt have an ice bucket or cooler ' As it wont fit on the table ' Finally we suggested putting a bucket on a spare chair , this was done.
3. The starters were basic microwave fayre , not ' Specials '
4. I ordered rump steak and my wife chicken curry. The curry was ok but it is unusual to find chicken thigh , not breast. The steak was acceptable but I amconfused as to which part of the animal produces a square cut!
5.When the plates were cleared we were asked if everything was alright and we commented that it was ' alright '. No follow up to this.
Sorry but a poor experience.

Visited February 2014
kazzacoogle, Owner at Ye olde globe, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hi,
I am very sorry that you felt that your experience at the Globe was "Poor".

I wasn't working that night although I do recall you dining with us as I remember there being a wine cooler on a chair in front of the door from my flat into the dining room when I was called down to attend to something.

I cannot remember which night it was though and so I can't recall which member of staff was working that night. However, I shall have a chat with all of them to ensure they are more attentive.

At quieter times of the year, like now, we do often allow customers to choose their own table. The waiter/waitress should have come to you to take your order and should have checked during the meal that everything was ok and taken drink orders at the table. I don't know why this didn't happen, but I will look into it.

You say the "Starters" were basic Microwave Fayre, not 'Specials'. I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Some of our meals are prepared in advance such as Pies, Curries, Casseroles, and then heated either in a microwave or in a pan/oven. Some meals such as Pork chops, Fish dishes and Chicken are cooked to order.

The Chicken Curry does have Breast meat in it, but we do use a mix of white and dark meat. It is homemade using fresh ingredients.

The Chef does like the Steaks to hold their shape when cooking. The butcher supplies them to us in a cling-film wrap so that they are shaped. I hadn't thought that this would be considered a problem by a customer.

Sorry that these events when put together have resulted in you not enjoying your meal.
Combe Martin, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I regularly visit Ye Olde Globe in Berrynarbor, and always receive a warm welcome.
The staff are excellent and very friendly. I have eaten here on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed! I have tried many things and would recommend the steaks as they are excellent, you should also try the roast dinner as it is delicious, with a huge selection of veg, along with a choice of meat.
The pub itself has lots of character and charm, and is lovely and cosy. There is plenty of parking near by (behind the pub or public car park near) so don't be put off if you can't park right outside. There is a lovely beer garden to enjoy a pint during the summer. I would definitely recommend this pub, and will be returning myself very soon.

kazzacoogle, Owner at Ye olde globe, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you for your review.
I'm pleased that you find there's always a warm welcome
And I am glad that you enjoy our food too.
Looking forward to seeing you here at the Globe soon xx
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Possibly the best Roast Beef Sunday lunch we have had. Pub is OK, but Sunday Roast was great - really delicious rare roast beef and all the veg you could eat. Don't bother with the curry though - tasty but tough.

• Visited December 2013
kazzacoogle, Owner at Ye olde globe, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hi, thank you for your review. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the curry.
I don't recall anyone telling me that any customer had complained about a curry recently. Did you mention to our staff that you weren't happy?
The curry is usually simmered for a long time to ensure that the meat is tender, so I'm very sorry that your meal wasn't to our usual standard.
I'm pleased though that you enjoyed the Sunday lunch, we do find that a lot of our repeat customers return because they enjoy being able to have rare beef.