“Excellent Food”

Price range: US$12 - US$24
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional Village Pub based in the heart of Berrynarbor. Serving good food and fine ales. Family friendly and dog friendly.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Always made to feel welcome friendly pub and lovely location, food is excellent with plenty of choice.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Needs a bit of work doing to it as looking a bit tired but a very nice pub in a lovely village location

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I visited the Globe on Tuesday lunchtime. We were given a warm welcome and served drinks. ( Good to see they stock Sharps Doombar). Food was ordered at the bar which consisted of a excellent Ham and Cheese ploughmans of gigantic proportion and a pair of Duck legs from the specials board ( these were cooked to perfection ). We were impressed with the service and quality of the food. I would recomend this pub to anyone wanting to experience what can only be described as a good Devonshire pub in a beautiful village with ample parking available for free only yards away.

We will be back for more!

kazzacoogle, Owner at Ye olde globe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

aw that is a very nice review, thank you.
So glad that you enjoyed your meals.

I do hope that you visit again next time you are in the area. xx

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We called in for a lunch on a cold day in March and were hoping for something warm and wholesome to cheer us up. We were not disappointed. My partner had a shepherds pie and I had a beef and apricot stew, both were home made, well cooked, and delicious. The décor of the pub is exactly as you would expect of a traditional 17th century village pub, it has that well loved feeling like an old friend and you can feel the history of the place all around you. From the floor to the ceiling you are surrounded by old horse brasses, pictures, decorative plates and a whole host of items, each of which could tell a story. The lady on the bar was very friendly and welcoming and we would certainly return again. If you are staying in the area for a few days go in and soak up the atmosphere and enjoy some good wholesome home cooking.

Thank You for your review. Sorry for such a delayed response.
I'm pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Globe.

I'm glad that you mention the bits and pieces on the walls with fondness, the old horse brasses, pictures and plates. These are the things that give the pub character and Ye Olde Globe really is a Traditional Village Pub.

Some of the previous comments on here say things like 'needs updating', but to modernise would, we feel, spoil the character of the pub.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your meals. Shepherds Pie and Beef and Apricot Stew are a couple of our more popular homemade Winter Specials, from the boards.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Beautiful, quaint old English pub - has everything going for it except the owners, the food & the service (baffling rules of where to sit) - Arrived with father in law, 1 9yr old & 2 small dogs. Ordered drinks & sat at table by bar, was quickly told by bar man that as we had dogs & a child could only sit in front area of pub (small, uncomfortable room by front door). We moved there & owner approached us & told us if we got rid of dogs could come back into area we were with child - told us thus when we booked a table! We then watched obviously a local arrive with dog & sit at table we had been asked to vacate (now understand real problem is that we weren't one of the locals). Over the course of our evening we witnessed other people arrive & told to sit where we were with dogs, but also others allowed to sit in bar area? By end of evening very confused!
The food we had was very poor & clearly came from mass production, the gammon ham I had tasted processed & as though it had been defrosted. Of the 5 of us eating nobody had a good word to say about the food or the unfriendly service that came with it!
My son had a packet of plain crisps which we noticed after he had eaten them were OUT OF DATE. Waitress unconcerned when informed until I pointed out this was illegal to serve out of date food!
Came back next day for a quick pint before dinner (staying in cottage over the road). Again had dogs & child as well as 2 other adults & had hardly got in the door when the other owner blocked our way & informed us we could sit in bar area but only at certain areas.
Speaking to other tourists in here over the 3 nights we used the pub, all were as confused as us as to where to sit unless the white lines painted on the floor had been pointed out which highlighted areas you were allowed in with dogs & children.
One couple had been told one area was kept free for people who were allergic to dogs - really!!
If you have no dogs or children & only want a drink, then the pub is full of charm & character, if you are looking for good food, have dogs & children under 10 & wNt service with a smile try elsewhere.
Promised so much, delivered so little.

kazzacoogle, Owner at Ye olde globe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for your review, from which I can see that you really were confused about what I said. Sorry, I didn't think I had been so vague.
I certainly did NOT say "If you get rid of the dogs", dogs are very welcome here at the Globe and as you pointed out many people do bring their dogs. Having said that, not everyone wants to eat next to dogs and so we have one part of the bar which we keep dog free and we have the dining room which we keep dog free. It was the dining room that I was referring to when I said "will you be bringing the dogs when you come back to eat?", because I thought you might like to book a table in there if you didn't have the dogs.
The part of the bar that you saw other people with dogs sitting in IS a dog friendly area ( and not just for "local" pooches...holidaying dogs are welcome too!). The reason for you being unable to sit in that area was because we don't allow children in the room adjoining the bar counter. Now, I realise that some people take offense at not being able to sit in this area with children but the many people that we have visit the pub that don't have children appreciate that they have a child free area. I have 3 children, so I am certainly not making this rule because I dislike children before you wonder.
I guess with the seating arrangements you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time...but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
You may not re-call but I also apologised that our large (60 seater) family room was booked out for a 21st birthday party (buffet and disco), if we had not had this private party you would've had more choice as to where to sit.
Sorry that you found it confusing, I have no idea what you are referring to when you comment about white lines on the floor to show where you can sit, or was this just a joke?
There are, however, notices at the entrances that give table numbers/areas that you can sit with children and dogs.

Well, I have probably just confused you more, so bottom line: sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit.