“18TH ANNIVERSARY”
Review of Sandy Cove Hotel

Sandy Cove Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berrynarbor
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We booked an over night stay for our Anniversary what we wanted was a Hotel with great food and a Pool, Sauna, and Steam Room with a Fantastic sea view.
The Room and the view were fantastic, stunning , but we were very disappointed with the Pool which was freezing! the Steam room was not working! just pouring out cold water from a missing pipe, and the Sauna well again that didn't get above warm, the lie out hot tiled beds one was broken!

The food was excellent but the waiting staff were in short supply!
A shame really as we are nearly into the new season and you would expect a Hotel of this standard to have made the repairs needed during the long winter months.

Room Tip: Room 33 with the sea view
1  Thank Nicola L

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Came down to Devon to look for wedding venues. Stayed at Sandy Cove with the idea of seeing several venues to book our wedding for next year but looked no further than Sandy Cove, we have now booked for exclusive use. On arriving the view is breathtaking, can imagine what amazing photos we will have! The food is to die for & presentation is outstanding. The reception staff were all really helpful & friendly as were the restaurant staff. Although the terrace wasn't open while we were there, we can imagine sitting out there. We love the idea of having the whole hotel for ourselves, family & friends for 2 days & couldn't believe how reasonable the package price was. Will definitely be back again in the summer for another break, so excited about having our wedding here.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weekend break. Large party of us to celebrate a special birthday. All happy with our rooms which were clean, great comfy beds & stunning views. Stayed b&b & evening meal. Both superb. Excellent waitress service - not easy when serving a table of 20. Restaurant & bar area very stylish, maybe a tiny bit quiet, could of done with a bit of background music maybe? Overall, fantastic stay & will definately return. Thanks Sandy Cove.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife and I decided to have a de-stress short break and came to this hotel, we were hoping for a 4 night stay, but due to popular demand we could only book 3 nights. The views from the hotel are stunning and for March the weather was very kind to us making the views even more spectacular. The food at this hotel is excellent and the restaurant staff make each mealtime a pleasure, we were always greeted with a welcoming smile and nothing was to much trouble, in addition the hotel has a very credible wine list to accompany the great food. We will definitely be back in the very near future and hopefully stay for longer. All in all a really good and relaxing break.........

1  Thank Ray W
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I booked two nights at this hotel as a surprise break for my husband and I really wished that I had booked for 3 or 4. The view from our room was breathtaking, looking out over the sea. The room itself was spacious and spotlessly clean, plenty of storage for clothes and luggage and with a very comfortable bed and pillows. Usually, I have trouble sleeping when we are away, but not here. Staff were very friendly and chatty, from the receptionists to the waiting staff, which is always lovely. The cooked breakfast was very good on the first morning, but not so good on the second when there were more people staying at the hotel. The same thing happened at dinner - the first night there were far fewer people staying, so service was excellent and the dinner was delicious. The second night with the increase in guest numbers was a different story altogether. We sat for more than 15 minutes after finishing our starter before our plates were collected and after the main course it was even longer, which was not good at all. Even though the waiter explained that a number of non-residents had booked for dinner, it appeared that the hotel did not have enough extra staff to cope with that. However, that was the only thing about the hotel that I can complain about and which could be quickly rectified. I don't usually return to a hotel for a second stay, but I would come back here.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Booked this hotel for a long weekend, Thursday to Sunday. booked a single room. The last 17 miles of the drive was beautiful, through a valley - but steep and tight curves. but adds to the charm. When I got to the hotel and saw the wonderful view I had a sneaking feeling the room was not going to live up to my expectations. Unfortunately i was right. Small, claustrophobic and I couldn't bear the thought of spending 3 nights there. Barbara the lovely receptionist gave me the keys to the remaining 2 rooms to check out which I preferred - both upgrades and extra money - and I chose a superior room. I was not disappointed, the view was spectacular, the bed big and comfy . great pillows - and the bathroom and bath welcoming. Sitting in the chairs by an open window with the sea and the headlands to look at - doesn't get much better. No way would I ever book a single room at this hotel as none of them have a front view.
The staff were lovely, from the warm and very helpful welcome from Barbara, to the restaurant staff and the housekeeping staff who tidied my room every day. Friendly and helpful - words I keep using - but they were.
The food was absolutely wonderful - I had booked, bed breakfast and evening meal and it was worth every penny. But I also had lunch at an extra cost, tasty sandwich and a pint of beer whilst reading a book in the seating area downstairs - that lovely view again. On the Saturday night - you have a Smorgasbord - lethal as you have to ration yourself for your starter - so tasty - (didn't look at the prawns and winkles and stuff - not my cup of tea)
although I had every intention of trying out the swimming pool and sauna / Jacuzzi - just didn't get round to it - far too busy doing nothing/
Ilfracombe and Woolacombe are quite close to, and Combe Martin has a little cove too with a fab view

So, great hotel, highly recommended. all ages groups were there, so seems a genuine all rounder

(Hope you have a great time at the wedding Barbara)

Room Tip: only scored 4 for rooms as the first room I was allocated was not good and had to pay for upgrade...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LondonTourist1967
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This was our second visit to Sandy Cove Hotel and that, in itself, suggests we like the venue. However, for all the positives, there are still somethings that we feel could be improved upon.
The hotel is in an idyllic location, looking out over the cove at Combe Martin Bay; this makes for some fantastic views and beautiful sunrises. The room we stayed in had everything we needed, Tea/Coffee making facilities, TV & Wi-Fi etc but was a little tired and could do with bringing up to date as they are doing with other rooms.
The main reason we returned to this hotel is the food. The evening meals and breakfasts are superb with courteous and friendly staff greeting you with a smile as they go about their business. It is, however, in the restaurant that I feel they need to make some changes. The restaurant is adjacent to the hotel bar which had a rather loud TV and pool table. This I found very distracting with the associated noise while you are trying to have a peaceful dinner.
I like my real ales and this part of the world has a few to chose from, however, the bar only served lagers or bottled beers which is not my preference.
Don't be put off by this though! It's a very good hotel but could be excellent with a little effort.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has recently been refurbished
2  Thank lakelord
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berrynarbor
Ilfracombe Carlton Hotel
Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel
The Royal Britannia
The Royal Britannia
#17 of 20 in Ilfracombe

Been to Sandy Cove Hotel? Share your experiences!