“Pretty good”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Overton's lucky to have two decent Indian restaurants and it's the toss of a coin which is the better. The Red Fort is a bit 'classier' in terms of décor, but the food at the Overton Spice is every bit as good - some would say even better.

The OS is a basic, good curry house - no frills, but consistent food. We went for a boys' curry night recently and I thought it was good value, decent food.

If it's a quick curry you fancy, the OS does the job really well. If you want a slightly nicer décor, try the Red Fort, and if you want exceptional food, drive the five miles to Whitchurch for the Blue Ginger.

1  Thank whitingbay

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Took my wife and a friend to this restaurant last week and will not be returning in a hurry. We has been there once before and it was just about OK but we decided to give it another chance. We dined a la carte despite it being a "Banquet" evening. I started with prawn puri and what a disaster. In this dish the prawns in sauce are served on a light, puffy fried bread. What I actually got was a tightly rolled up chapati with the prawns on the side. The sauce was sickly sweet and the chef had obviously added far too much sugar to compensate for the tomato. I left most of it. My wife's chicken chaat was bland and tasted of very little. My main was Lamb Naga, a dish recommended by the pleasant waiter. This dish should have diced lamb cooked in a clay oven then cooked with fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, coriander and touch of naga sauce. What I got was a medium curry lacking in appearance or flavour. My wife and her friend followed my example and also followed the waiters suggestion and opted for a dish that was not the one served; they got chicken tikka marsala which they said was just obout OK. The saag panir contained virtually no spinach and the panir was in large chunks. The pilau rice had the consistency and look of boiled rice and had no flavour at all. The staff were very pleasant but they they will not be able to rely on that if they expect to compete with the competition. When we left the restaurant we felt let down and, yes even cheated a little. The food was not of an acceptable standard and we will be taking our custom to Whitchurch to give that a try.

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I have visited Overton Spice on two separate occasions now when staying in the village with friends.

Have not been disappointed, the restaurant itself is small and probably seats less than 50 people so when it's busy there (which it has been both times I've been) it can get loud and feel a bit cramped.
Having said that, there was actually ample room when sat at our tables individually.

Drinks orders were taken very swiftly and poppadoms and chutneys brought out while we perused the menu. They have their own chutney which Is red in colour and beats all others I've ever tried!!!

Starters were of a good size-not too much knowing a curry lay ahead of us- and tasted wonderful, not overly spiced or overpowered by one thing in particular.
Had the sheek kebabs which were very good.
Curry itself (CT masala) and sides were also very tasty. The CT Masala was rich and smooth without feeling sickly.
Wish I had opted for the mushroom rice instead of pilau-it tasted fab! but I know I can have that next time :-)

I didn't opt for a dessert but did have a baileys coffee which finished off the meal quite nicely. As did the after dinner mints and little pieces of liquorice.

In terms of value for money I would say they are probably of an average price in competition with most Indian restaurants!!

The staff are lovely! Very polite and hospitable! And very busy! Rushed off their feet in such a little place!

Rough price guide: half a beer, starter, curry, rice and liqueur coffee £20 approx

I am sure the next time I visit I will be back!

The one point I would like to make is that there is a ramp immediately upon entrance inside the door covered with a mat - please be careful of this as it could easily be mistaken for part of the entrance floor if you're not looking properly.

1  Thank BlodauHyfryd
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We've been going to the Red Fort in Overton for years. The food at the Red Fort is fairly bland and has been going downhill a bit so we though we'd give Overton Spice a go. The food was really good, much tastier and a bit more imaginative too. Incredible value: 'Banquet Nights' on Tues and Wed aren't a buffet but choose any starter, main, side and rice or nan for £10.95 from a wide choice wow! Lacks the buzzy atmosphere of Red Fort and the decor and thus ambience is a little plain - they could work on this with some table candles etc. But will definitely be back soon!

1  Thank Spendagainlaura
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was staying in Overton for a few nights and had two meals here. Loved it, food was really good and they also stock Bangra Beer. The Manager, Mia, is a very personable man, a great conversationalist who adds to the experience. It's a small place that you might pass by but give it a second look. I'm glad I did.

1  Thank silvervoyager