“Always a good meal ...”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
“Always a good meal ...”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Often eat here & have never been disappointed - service is excellent & food always freshly prepared & hot - naan bread is yum! - well done - keep it up ...

• Visited January 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food with excellent service to match”
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

This is by far the best Indian restaurant we have been to. My boyfriend & I live in neighbouring Basingstoke where we have tried a number of different curry houses & have been fairly disappointed but The Redfort in Overton is excellent & beats them all by a country mile! The food is excellent & the service is fantastic, the staff are very friendly & attentive & there is always a lovely atmosphere in there. Its very much a family friendly restaurant which is great to see. Redfort has become our regular place to go for a curry, we enjoy it so much that we're there most Saturday nights & even after so many months of going there it's still as fantastic as ever! Keep up the great work.

Visited December 2013
Hampshire, UK
“Not so good”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Had a takeaway from here, starter was ok, got to my main of Chicken Shashlik, opened lid, tasted one bit of chicken, went for next and realised it was black in the middle as were the other pieces, this was obviously due to dirty skewers being used and not thoroughly cleaned. Tried to take it back on Friday lunchtime but was shut even though sign on doors says open seven days a week from 12.30 - 2.30pm. Not happy as put me of rest of meal. Will not be returning.

• Visited December 2013
Woking, United Kingdom
“Why all the hype?”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Had a meal with my wife on a Thursday evening; did not book, just turned up and got a table. Pity! We both started with the prawn puree and were very disappointed. It was flavourless and the puri was flat and greasy, not at all like the puffy base I expected... I had a lamb Jalfrezi and, although had I forgotten what I had ordered, I would not have known what it was supposed to be when it eventually arrived. The sauce in this dish is supposed to be rich and thick and not like the soup consistency concoction I got. You are probably thinking, “Ah! But the lamb in the dish gave it away!” Wrong… the dish consisted almost entirely of onions and tomatoes and I counted only four small pieces of mutton in the dish. Very poor value at £8.25p. My wife’s Chicken Korai was also watery with a preponderance on onions although she fared better with the meat than I did. The saag panir had been overcooked and tasted of not much at all but it was marginally better than the nuked bhindi bhajee which came with a crust. (Never seen a microwave do that before.) The pilau rice was luke-warm and lumpy although my naan was light and well cooked. It was not particularly busy but it was obvious that a number of the locals were in because other tables were given a lot of attention and we were left mainly to our own devices…so much so that we considered starting a self service table. Having read the reviews I had expected so much and was bitterly disappointed. Eating out is never cheap to to pay so much for so little is hard to accept. Would I return? Not on your life!

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than most”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We are big fans of Indian food and have eaten in all the local eateries within a 25 mile radius. And as far away as New Zealand and the USA. Having moved nearer to the Redfort we have been visiting more often and have to say that we have never had a bad experience. The food is always very good with plenty of spice and heat to your taste. The owner and staff are all great, not a bad one in the bunch and the place has a great atmosphere. I've read the complainers in this list and have to assume they would find a complaint to make anywhere. Yes the place is not huge but that's what makes it. If you like it hot and want a change from vindaloo, try the chicken tikka naga and ask for it vindaloo hot. superb.

• Visited October 2013