“You may have to think twice” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel

Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Waltham
Melbourne, Australia
“You may have to think twice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

19, 20 Aug 2012
We stayed here with my elderly mother. She had one of the disabled rooms on the ground floor. We were up on the first floor.
It’s a very quaint place to stay. Until it’s time for bed; especially if you are in the front overlooking the A30, which wasn’t to noisy late at night, & the M3 about three hundred yards away running parallel with the A30, & with the constant drone of the traffic; Plus the small low roof outside our window, had the air-conditioner unit’s on it. All night long, it switched on & off every five to ten minutes. The second night, I asked could it be switched off, the on duty manager called the bar manager & asked her to switch it off when everything was closed. This never happened; I’m hoping that it had just slipped her mind.
Our room has a full U shaped handle to pull open the door, as there was an auto door closer on it.
But the disabled room my mother was in only had those Yale lock type door closers that only your forefinger can be used to open with; & trying to pull it against the pressure of the auto door closer, wasn’t ideal; For someone in a wheel chair or with a walking frame it would have been nearly impossible to open; I did report it to the duty manager, & he said he would get maintenance to rectify it. Which I hope has been done. Who checks that these disabled rooms are up to standard?
The rooms were large, clean & well presented, as was the whole Inn. The bathroom with shower over the bath. The evening meal was very nice & tasty. Breakfast is breakfast.
The staff were always helpful & willing with a smile.

Room Tip: Disabled persons, please ask to see the room first. Don't get a South facing room towards the M3
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

I did have a 2night stay but checked out after 1 night.
I was given a room with a single bed. I have stayed at many prem inns and never seen this before. The room was also on the roadside and very noisy from traffic. I asked to be moved but the hotel was full.
As others have pointed out, i used the basin in the bathroom and promptly got wet from a faulty spray tap.

The phone signal reception is poor in the area and wi-fi is nigh on impossible unless you pay for prem inn service after free time used.

I checked out having had poor sleep.
I will avoid this place in future....

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Naina
Social Media Team

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.
St Ives, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I choose Basingstoke South as an alternative to Basingstoke Central on the occasions the latter is full. PI Basingstoke South is 9 miles from the office where Central is only 4 miles, so it makes perfect sense to stay in my first choice whenever possible.

That said, PI B'stoke South is a perfect alternative and by and large being a little further out is usually a few pounds cheaper. Over the last 3 years I have stayed here regularly and have slept in most of the 30 or so rooms. They all differ in size and aspect, but they have always been clean and up to scratch as expected.

I last stayed in July '12 after the adjacent Bar and Restaurant had been redecorated. The staff are always friendly and attentive and service is always 'spot on', being quick and efficient.

I have noticed that depending on which room you stay in the plumbing is 'quirky' which I would put down to waterpressure - the further away the room is on the first floor, the weaker the shower pressure is.

I will continue to book this hotel as an alternative to Basingstoke Central as I have no real complaints.

Only very minor point to end on is that due to the isolation there is no facility to provide morning papers on request.

Room Tip: Don't expect to order morning papers as this facility is not available.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed here a few nights for business, reception gave a colleague a room only to come back an hour later during dinner to say they'd made a mistake and my colleague would have to share my double room (2 guys) - sorry, BIG mistake! My Colleague who arrived at the same time as me eventually had to move to another Premier Inn further away.

Following evening - the restaurant managed to completely mess up 2 of our parties meals, it was'nt anything too complicated - mere steaks!

We requested a med-rare & a med-well - plates we're mixed up, meals arrived 4-5 minutes apart, after having explained the error to the waiter the meals were taken away and we then received 2 well done steaks this time!!!!

Once again the misunderstanding was explained calmly - at which point the waiter then blamed our party for the error rather than the restaurant staff's lack of being able to take a simple order from a paying client from a table to the kitchen and bring what was ordered - waiters hissy fit ensued and he stormed away with the meal claiming that we "would say that, as we are all friends" - I guess to mean collaborated? Deary me!! My understanding was that the customer is ALWAYS right - correct???

Disgraceful,outrageous, appalling behaviour!

I relented on the my own food simply because at this point I was really hungry to be honest, sadly one of our party went without any food as the waiter stormed away never to return with the order they had made errors with TWICE!

I am completely aware that this is a Premier Inn and not Claridges - but if you order and are expected to pay for a meal, then its universal practice to expect to receive what you've ordered and expected to pay for - is it not?

WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN? No, probably not.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Whitbread-77, Laura Gibbins-Social Media at Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this.

Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by our Customer Services Team and the Management Team at this hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed here en route to CarFest - booked family room and it provided great kingsize bed for us and 2 single beds for the children (the kids reported these were not as comfy as ours) but the room was spotlessly clean and of a good size. Bathroom had bath with shower(fixed so not great if you don't want to wash your hair) but again clean and no problems to report here either. Facilities in the room were great - tv, tea and coffee and a hair dryer. The attached pub/restaurant had good menu for all the family and the prices were good. We all slept well and enjoyed the breakfast. The staff were all lovely from the young lad on reception when we arrived (hope he enjoyed his festival weekend off as much as we did) to the lovely ladies and gents in the restaurant at both dinner and breakfast time. I would definitely stay again and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: No lift here but rooms available on the ground floor. Wifi free for 30 mins and then cheap to get f...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Flintstones81
Cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stayed here 29 Aug 12 before sons Passing Out parade at St John Moore Barracks.

Location - beside noisy busy road. 2 miles to local Sainsburys. 1/2 mile walk along busy road to local pub.

Room - Good Premier Inn standard. No air con so left windows open (road noise except between 01.00 - 04.00) altho, fan in room if needed. Bed - large, comfy and linen really clean.

Bathroom roomy. No 'spare' towels if wanted more than one shower. Would prefer that to spare pillows in wardrobe. Shower ok, but slow and blew bit hot and cold. Soap dispenser broken.

Wheatsheaf (Chef & Brewer) attached good value for money, altho staff far brighter than crap tills, etc. Restaurant is 'tired' would be bad without good quality staff and chefs. Staff spent more time sorting tills than attending to customers. Evenig meal, steak, wine et al really good!

Breakfast - loan female done ALL intros, table service, clearing etc etc. Fab service, smile, friendly etc - couldn't fault her... How refreshing!!! x

Room Tip: Back rooms have less road user noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

On A30 about 2 miles from J7 of the M3 - seemingly in the middle of nowhere - between Basingstoke and Winchester. A small hotel, 19th Century building, with under 30 rooms but if you can't climb stairs, make sure you have one of the half dozen ground floor rooms as there is no lift.Standard Premier Inn fittings (including a fan for the hot weather), tea and coffee making facilities and 30 minutes free wi-fi per day, although this room (No 8) had complete Freeview TV with radio - and a shaver point in the bathroom, but no telephone.

The website says to book in after 2, but when I arrived about 3, the manager said he could book me in - but that the bed had not been made - as the laundry, due at 8.30 had still not been delivered, despite several promises. He said that. 30 minutes before, Sunlight Laundry had promised him delivery - without fail - within an hour. The lorry finally drew into the car park (outside of my room, so I saw it arrive). just before 5 ! After this, the house-keeping staff were dashing from room to room making beds, still cheeful even though they said they should have finished work hours before - the jewels in the Premier Inn crown. All for £19 the night !

I hope that the staff are well compensated for their extra time - and that Sunlight Laundry loses their contract !

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Waltham
Premier Inn Andover Hotel

Been to Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel? Share your experiences!