“Seemed fine to us.”

Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Waltham
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Brief overnight stopover on way to uni open day. Arrived late; handy location and easy to find, friendly welcome, large clean room on ground floor, and comfy beds. Was going to have a pre-bedtime drink but v rowdy lot in restaurant/bar so gave it a miss. Breakfast didn't start until 8 so had to miss it and can't, therefore, comment on the restaurant facilities at all. Slept with the windows open and didn't notice any undue noise from the road (perhaps because this was a Friday night / Saturday morning so no rush hour?). But, based on this limited experience, this PI seemed fine to us and we'd happily return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Used this as a stopover on the way down to Dorset. Nice room, reasonably quiet and usual facilities such as tea/coffee decent TV and hairdrier.. A class above the Travelodge. Friendly staff. Breakfast at the restaurant next door was very good and the lady who served us was exceptionally nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed for two nights as we were over for a family occasion. Supposed to have a child stay with us but travel plans changed - just as well as although we asked for a family room we had a double room with a mattress on the floor . Just folded mattress back against the wall. Room clean and basic. Shower was lousy - really poor flow however it was warm. Wakenend at 7.15am on the first morning to man on his mobile in the next room. and the second morning by neighbour on the other side's tv. No noise from road as per other reviews but we were at the back of the hotel.
Wheatsheaf restaurant good food and handy. Did not eat breakfast there.Parking accessible. Easy to find with sat nav.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back as it was definately quiter. Dont plan on having a great shower in the morni...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2012

19, 20 Aug 2012
We stayed here with my elderly mother. She had one of the disabled rooms on the ground floor. We were up on the first floor.
It’s a very quaint place to stay. Until it’s time for bed; especially if you are in the front overlooking the A30, which wasn’t to noisy late at night, & the M3 about three hundred yards away running parallel with the A30, & with the constant drone of the traffic; Plus the small low roof outside our window, had the air-conditioner unit’s on it. All night long, it switched on & off every five to ten minutes. The second night, I asked could it be switched off, the on duty manager called the bar manager & asked her to switch it off when everything was closed. This never happened; I’m hoping that it had just slipped her mind.
Our room has a full U shaped handle to pull open the door, as there was an auto door closer on it.
But the disabled room my mother was in only had those Yale lock type door closers that only your forefinger can be used to open with; & trying to pull it against the pressure of the auto door closer, wasn’t ideal; For someone in a wheel chair or with a walking frame it would have been nearly impossible to open; I did report it to the duty manager, & he said he would get maintenance to rectify it. Which I hope has been done. Who checks that these disabled rooms are up to standard?
The rooms were large, clean & well presented, as was the whole Inn. The bathroom with shower over the bath. The evening meal was very nice & tasty. Breakfast is breakfast.
The staff were always helpful & willing with a smile.

Room Tip: Disabled persons, please ask to see the room first. Don't get a South facing room towards the M3
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

I did have a 2night stay but checked out after 1 night.
I was given a room with a single bed. I have stayed at many prem inns and never seen this before. The room was also on the roadside and very noisy from traffic. I asked to be moved but the hotel was full.
As others have pointed out, i used the basin in the bathroom and promptly got wet from a faulty spray tap.

The phone signal reception is poor in the area and wi-fi is nigh on impossible unless you pay for prem inn service after free time used.

I checked out having had poor sleep.
I will avoid this place in future....

• Stayed: September 2012
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Naina
Social Media Team

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I choose Basingstoke South as an alternative to Basingstoke Central on the occasions the latter is full. PI Basingstoke South is 9 miles from the office where Central is only 4 miles, so it makes perfect sense to stay in my first choice whenever possible.

That said, PI B'stoke South is a perfect alternative and by and large being a little further out is usually a few pounds cheaper. Over the last 3 years I have stayed here regularly and have slept in most of the 30 or so rooms. They all differ in size and aspect, but they have always been clean and up to scratch as expected.

I last stayed in July '12 after the adjacent Bar and Restaurant had been redecorated. The staff are always friendly and attentive and service is always 'spot on', being quick and efficient.

I have noticed that depending on which room you stay in the plumbing is 'quirky' which I would put down to waterpressure - the further away the room is on the first floor, the weaker the shower pressure is.

I will continue to book this hotel as an alternative to Basingstoke Central as I have no real complaints.

Only very minor point to end on is that due to the isolation there is no facility to provide morning papers on request.

Room Tip: Don't expect to order morning papers as this facility is not available.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed here a few nights for business, reception gave a colleague a room only to come back an hour later during dinner to say they'd made a mistake and my colleague would have to share my double room (2 guys) - sorry, BIG mistake! My Colleague who arrived at the same time as me eventually had to move to another Premier Inn further away.

Following evening - the restaurant managed to completely mess up 2 of our parties meals, it was'nt anything too complicated - mere steaks!

We requested a med-rare & a med-well - plates we're mixed up, meals arrived 4-5 minutes apart, after having explained the error to the waiter the meals were taken away and we then received 2 well done steaks this time!!!!

Once again the misunderstanding was explained calmly - at which point the waiter then blamed our party for the error rather than the restaurant staff's lack of being able to take a simple order from a paying client from a table to the kitchen and bring what was ordered - waiters hissy fit ensued and he stormed away with the meal claiming that we "would say that, as we are all friends" - I guess to mean collaborated? Deary me!! My understanding was that the customer is ALWAYS right - correct???

Disgraceful,outrageous, appalling behaviour!

I relented on the my own food simply because at this point I was really hungry to be honest, sadly one of our party went without any food as the waiter stormed away never to return with the order they had made errors with TWICE!

I am completely aware that this is a Premier Inn and not Claridges - but if you order and are expected to pay for a meal, then its universal practice to expect to receive what you've ordered and expected to pay for - is it not?

WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN? No, probably not.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Whitbread-77, Laura Gibbins-Social Media at Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this.

Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by our Customer Services Team and the Management Team at this hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Been to Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel? Share your experiences!