Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Waltham
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had a good experience with this Premier Inn. They was a mix up with our room and they ended up not charging us for it which was extremely impressive. The room and beds were comfortable and the hotel was a lot nicer than I expected with a charming pub attached. Only thing is that it is close to the road so there is some noise from the traffic if you have the window open.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We booked in to this Premier Inn as I was riding the South Downs Way on the following day.
The day that we travelled down on was very hot and we were looking forward to a nice cool nights sleep before making a very early start the next morning.
We were given the keys to room 17 by friendly staff, who ran through the normal pleasantries.
Unfortunately room 17, after now reading the reviews is best avoided. No air con and windows that open on a very fast country road, did nothing to aid a good nights kip. There was a fan in the room which moved the hot air about, but seriously the noise from the road was a joke during the night. I asked for a different room after checking in, but unfortunately they were fully booked.
Dinner next door was plentyfull and well priced.
On leaving in the morning, we were met by the night porter who asked if we had a good night. 'No' was the simply answer, we hardly got an hours sleep and this was not the start I needed for the day. No mention of the good nights sleep g/tee which makes me think this may have been pulled from this hotel.
Overall, pleasant location, good food, but if you are given the keys to 16 or 17, be polite, run away and sleep under a motorway bridge it will be quieter.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed over night booking a double room for myself and partner and family room for son and family. Upon arrival I asked for twin beds as I have a medical condition and cannot sleep with someone next to me, this seemed to cause a problem, was given another room which was not cleaned, given original room back had to wait an hour for double bed to be put into twins. My sons room, no bed for my 4 yr old granddaughter, this was at 9pm had to wait for someone to come and make up child's bed, 10pm my sons towels in room were from the last occupant. Not a good impression, made to feel a nuisance.
Restaurant food was good and the service in their was fine, pity about the hotel side, needs training on handling the basics.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is a charming Premier Inn. Not a newly built property, it is the extended Wheatsheaf Inn public house at Popham on the busy A30. So rooms have a quaint charm to them - ours had beams in the ceiling and a warped floor (not so good for those less able-bodied!) The room was very warm, but we were supplied with a fan that kept us comfortable. There was no traffic noise from our side of the building - but this is a noisy road. The attached pub - where you have breakfast - was delightful. Snug and very authentic. We had a drink in the garden at the back -when we arrived. the garden in the front was sunny but more noisy. In the evening we had a light snake - very good. And breakfast was a treat. A good range of food and an authentically rustic location.

We were staying to visit a music festival down the road (Blissfields.) And this presented the only problem: This hotel is not really near the town - a minicab cost over £30 (to take us just a couple of miles) but that was because they had to 'travel about 30 minutes or more to get here." So don't even think of using this hotel if you need to be in Basingstoke !

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and our stay was enjoyable. We would consider this hotel for a romantic retreat - especially if we can grab a good deal on the overnight price. We would stay here again. It doesn't get 5 stars because of the very busy road (traffic doesn't slow down - it is dangerous for kids/pets) and because it is so far out from the town.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 'country side' and not on the 'road side'
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed overnight at this inn and found it very acceptable. The bedrooms were fine and good value . Evening meal was very acceptable and breakfast at the connecting Wheatsheaf was really outstanding. To be honest much better than in some 5 star hotels I have stayed in. What really sold the Inn for me was the staff. Exceptionally friendly, a good sense of humour and could not do enough for us all. The whole place was full of character. Outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We could not fault our stay.

The room was spotless, the bed was comfortable, the staff were first class both in the hotel and the Wheatsheaf below the bedrooms where we ate a most enjoyable dinner.

Be warned - Premier Inn's guest satisfaction survey is best avoided. It takes a long time to complete, asks far too many detailed questions. The result is that I shall not complete any future ones!

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the front to avoid motorway noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This is an older Premier inn - probably dates from before the brand itself.
Rooms are well maintained, good size and incredibly clean.
I honestly don't know how Premier Inn can maintain the cleanliness standards across hotels - but this was right up with the best - well done. Clean and clearly well maintained.

No air/con, or phone and windows are locked to a small gap - so the room stayed over hot all night.

Downsides - it's noisy. At the front the rooms are near the road - not busy but fast. And across one field the M3 runs on an embankment - so you get road noise all day and night. I had a rear room - but that one overlooked the Courtyard Beer garden, so until 11:30 you get the noise from guests chatting downstairs. But on the hotels good side, they closed the garden at 11:30 and I could clearly here them telling guests they had to leave to reduce noise into the bedrooms above. A thoughtful professional touch, except that 20 minutes later I think the kitchen team went out, opened drinks and spent 20 minutes chatting. Don't get me wrong no one was wild or shouting - but clearly the walled courtyard causes the noise to echo and carry upstairs. At 6:20am the staff arrived and again used the courtyard - so waking me up again.

Room Tip: Back room, perhaps over looking the car park. Others are noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Been to Good Night Inns Wheatsheaf Hotel? Share your experiences!