The Rothesay Hotel
Premier Inn Christchurch Highcliffe(Highcliffe)(Great Value!)
US$133
PremierInn.com
Lord Bute Hotel(Christchurch)
US$163
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa(New Milton)
US$1,012
Premier Inn Christchurch (East) Hotel(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
US$95
Agoda.com
Travelodge Christchurch(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
US$71
Travelodge
    Fisherman's Haunt Hotel(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
    US$96
    Hotels.com
    Captain's Club Hotel(Christchurch)
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    All reviewsswimming poolb bnew forestfull english breakfastbreakfast was excellentample parkinga lovely staycouple of nightsnight stayenjoyable stayyogurtmichaeldeesuitegalleonpub
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 8 November 2013

We chose this hotel as we wanted easy access to both the New Forest and Bournemouth. We had a great two-night stay last month. Our rooms were well appointed and had very comfortable beds. The added attraction of having a really good-sized indoor swimming pool and sauna at a B & B was the icing on the cake!! - topped, however, by their really good cooked breakfast. The whole place has a very friendly atmosphere and we are happy to recommend it. Thank you Michael and family, you're doing a good job.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
    Reviewed 28 October 2013

We booked and paid for a twin room and a suite ( The Bute ) and although the single was ok , we did not have a suite, the promise of a kingsize four poster was in reality just a double four poster,the larger en-suite was so tiny you had go in shut the door before you could access the loo which was behind the door, and it was a tight squeeze even then, there was a large cobweb above the sink, and also lots of mould on the ceiling, the shower you had to either get in then switch on and have to stand in cold water until it heated up, or turn it on and have it spray all over the floor, as well as this it was unsafe to use as the floor of the shower was very slippery, so you had to be very careful.The shaving light did not work, nor did one of the lights in the room, and some of the lampshade were dirty.And it wasn't until we were leaving did we actually see a sign saying The Bute Suite which was in a different part of the hotel.There was no one to thank us for our custom or say goodbye as we left, which i feel is a bit rude. Having said all this i will add that the service and the food at breakfast i could not fault. If our suite was double booked or for whatever reason we could not have the suite why didn't they say and refund the difference, we were there for a family wedding, and we choose a suite as we were also celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
    1  Thank Sue C
    Reviewed 20 October 2013

Booked a room for a solo traveller the night before an unscheduled visit to the area but failed to read the small print about checking in before 8pm. I called the number on the notice by the reception desk and a moment or two later the proprietor greeted me warmly, took me to my charming room, gave me the wi-fi password and a guided tour of the facilities, and I was home.
    The Rothesay is a delight. My double bed was modern and comfortable, the TV offered the full Freeview menu, wi-fi reception was more than adequate, and there were tea- and coffee-making facilities in the room. The compact shower room and loo are modern and to a high standard and soaps, shampoos and lotions are well presented and not the usual cheap and tacky fare.
    The hotel is quiet and road noise minimal, as a result of which I slept long and well. My test of any hotel breakfast is a full English with copious quantities of good strong coffee, and the Rothesay does not disappoint. There are several cereals and alternatives to the carnivore's option of bacon, sausages and eggs, etc. I finished a large cafetiere, fresh orange juice and a genuinely top notch breakfast and didn't think about eating again until the evening. The hotel's proprietor and his family run the place with cheerful efficiency and I was made to feel welcome and a little bit special. Last week I stayed in a hotel where I suspect no one there cared if I lived or died, so the Rothesay was a wonderful contrast and an utter treat.
    The hotel is not purpose-built but the conversion is tasteful and well executed, as is only right considering it stands within the grounds of Highcliffe Castle. There is a glazed and light seating/communal area near the reception desk, from which the entrance, swimming pool, dining room and stairs radiate. At the front there is sufficient parking on the gravel for a couple of dozen cars. Highcliffe is half a mile distant and Christchurch, Ringwood, Bournemouth, Poole and Southampton are a short car journey away.
    My only complaint: it rained.
    Excellent hotel run by people who actually seem to care that their guests are having a good stay. And no, I'm not related or a family friend. The sign by the gate says the AA rates the Rothesay as a four star and I'm not about to argue with the AA. I like it a lot.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
    2  Thank Barry L
    Reviewed 15 October 2013

Big group (11 families) superbly looked after for a weekend. Michael and Dee extremely friendly and accommodating. Excellent breakfast. Perfect for castle, beach, golf course. Really an ideal location for a group weekend

Room Tip: Excellent swimming pool
    • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
    3  Thank markyc123
    Reviewed 8 October 2013

Big family anniversary ,superbly well looked after.
    Lovely friendly family running a small friendly comfortable hotel.
    Close to the beach and good food comfortable and a pool .
    Thoroughly recomended . Thanks again to all there

Room Tip: Had a single at the back away from the road noise washing machine for an hour or so nearby noticable but not a problem, birdsong in the morning and smell of cooking mushrooms to wake up to .
    • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family