“Wonderful Welcome”
Review of The Rothesay Hotel

The Rothesay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Highcliffe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed for one night at the Rothersay. The welcome I received was wonderful, and offered a cup of tea on arrival. The room was OK, but a little noisy. Breakfast was full English and very good and overall, very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I would just like to say ( from myself and my partner Andy) we had a marvellous stay. Fabulous night sleep as bed was so comfortable. Very elegant rooms and your kindness for accommodating us was very much appreciated. We would definitely recommend staying at the Rothesay, with the castle and beach almost your garden.
This trip was a lets not go home trip!!! We found it on Google, looked through the list and favoured The Rothesay. And really glad we did, Michael met us at the door and was really welcoming and even made us a cup of tea.

Kindest regards

Karla

Room Tip: Rooms are ample , shower room clean and practical. close to local castle attraction and beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I'm not sure I stayed in the same hotel as previous reviewer as we had a great weekend. I left my husband to book and was thrilled with his choice. Within a short walk of highcliffe castle and the beach you'd have no idea it was so close. On arrival we pressed the bell at reception and dee arrived straight away. I have to say she was very welcoming and suggested the galleon nearby for dinner that evening. She also asked us what time WE would like breakfast so we felt customers came first. Our room was huge and lovely and warm. We had a four poster which was very comfortable with crisp white sheets. The complimentary toiletries smelt divine. We had a great nights sleep I have to say. There was a great choice for breakfast and when our cooked breakfast came it was piping hot. A lovely relaxing stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I must try to explain to any potential visitor that there is so much wrong with this unprofessional, un-kept, bed and breakfast/hotel. Unclean,uncomfortable and nothing as described in any of the adverts. The indoor pool is hired out to public for swimming lessons and children's parents sit outside some of the rooms, so no privacy! The room was in an annex building which was not fresh,shower had no pressure, drainage was poor and with no extraction hence damp bedroom. Bed was lumpy and old,it would have been a nightmare if sleep was possible!! Don't go to breakfast hungry as the full English, isn't!! Pet free - except for owners husky dog and neighbors husky's that meet up at the hotel prior to their walks!!! The licensed hotel/bed and breakfast is honestly tired and without basic comfort. The car park has a pebble drive which alerts you to each car movement whatever the time of night!! Well I could go on and on but all I can say now is save your money, there are much better places to stay including a premier inn about 500 metres up the road.
I have not written my review until now as I have been corresponding with the owner who was trying to claim TWO fees for our stay in this appalling bed and breakfast/hotel. All in all a most unwelcoming place to visit and stay.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before parting with your money
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank David J
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Family run business with great accomodation, including a good sized indoor pool which is unusual in a B&B, great breakfast, everywhere very clean and everyone very helpful, would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed here with a friend whilst attending a function at another hotel close by that was fully booked. It is only a bed and breakfast but dining facilities are offered at adjacent hotels if you need them. The breakfast was very good. There is an indoor swimming pool and sauna which the owner switched on just for me. My room was adequate but strange with wooden Venetian blinds at the window - no curtains - as in the summer it would be very light even with them closed. A nice touch was tea served in their lounge area with mince pies. A pleasant night's stay and within walking distance to Highcliffe Castle.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank BobH764
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Well what can I say Dee and Michael made us very welcome, rooms was lovely, hotel very clean, breakfast wonderful great variety, full English was superb, bacon had no fat on at all, and not a sign of oil any where, would highly recommend this hotel, and we will defiantly be going back

Room Tip: If you need a ground floor they have plenty
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank red54ruby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highcliffe
Lord Bute Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Stanwell House Hotel
Stanwell House Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lymington

Been to The Rothesay Hotel? Share your experiences!