“short Break”
Review of The Rothesay Hotel

The Rothesay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Highcliffe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Rothesay and can say without a doubt its one of the best places to stay in Highcliffe/Christchurch.
Michael/ Dee went out of their way to ensure our stay was perfect.
Could not fault the place one bit 15 lovely well presented/modern rooms with all the facilities you need.spotlessly clean with large comfortable beds flat screen tv. tea/coffee making facilities,radio alarm clock with ipod/usb docking port.hairdryer.free wifi and use of the indoor swimming pool and sauna.outside decked area with plenty of relaxing chairs
Plenty of off road parking.
The breakfast was first class with a wide choice and everything cooked fresh to order.
will definetly be staying here again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed for one Friday night when attending a wedding locally. Late decision to stay in area so only the Rothesay suite left. Booked through booking.com, we were running late on the day so went straight to the wedding and rang up to explain we would check in late (after midnight) Dee, the owner was most understanding and made arrangements for the key to be left in a place we could access. The suite was large with four poster, furniture slightly dated but mattress very comfortable which is what we wanted after a long day and Dad wedding dancing! Large bath and excellent shower, again slightly dated but functional. Breakfast was superb, we both had scrambled egg with salmon and service on Sat am completed by owners teenage children who were very polite, efficient and professional. Unfortunately, I left my wristwatch ( a 50th gift from my son so precious to me) behind in bathroom by mistake, but after a phone call / email to Michael it was found by the cleaner and dispatched by recorded delivery to us with no extra cost. Its great when a small place goes the extra mile to do this. Would highly recommend. Thank you Michael & Dee.

Room Tip: Rooms in main house will be quieter as premises on main road and large gravel car park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Rothesay is one of the nicest places that we have stayed in. The rooms are beautifully decorated and all reception areas are very tastefully decorated and furnished.There is a very spacious car park.
The hosts are very welcoming and friendly, and the breakfasts are excellent, with a great choice of freshly cooked and locally sourced produce.
The Rothesay is situated about five minutes walk from Highcliff Castle, and from there a very pleasant walk through a nature reserve takes you down to the beach.
We would definately stay there again,and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Needed b&b before a business meeting and found the Rothesay on the internet - looked great so I took chance - well it was only one night - amazed at the hotel facilities standards and welcome. Great room garden aspect clean and tidy decent shower plenty of water pressure. Really friendly owners made me feel welcome even just for one night. Breakfast was again of a very good standard Dee was professional and helpful and even had time to be a bit chatty which is rare these days. I will return and will recommend. Book with confidence.

Room Tip: Get in quick I had the last room on a TUESDAY!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian F
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights and initially drove past a couple of times due to my misunderstanding of the signage.
The owners very friendly and showed us to our room which unfortunately was not in the main but out the front in the car park close to the main road, we were told that improvements were on going and asked for our feedback.
We therefore made a mental note of the "problems" with the room and left a polite note on the bed as we left as the owners were busy with the breakfasts.
It is a little disappointing that we have heard nothing back about our comments which were things like
bathroom door does not close so no privacy,window catches broke so noise from road kept us awake, shower very weak and shower head broken, bathroom fan and radiator not working, no Wi-Fi in room, although owner did try to help etc etc .
Finally a nice touch was the tea and cake in the main building.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main house
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robin M
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I phoned The Rothesay today to ask what time we could access our rooms( 8 in all) for my son's wedding in July and they can't find our booking. I phoned them 3 times at least last year, once to change from 7 to 8 rooms, so it's strange they now can't find it. I have read previous reports of this happening to someone else but thought it would be ok. I'm so glad I phoned and checked and have booked elsewhere. To say I was extremely annoyed is an understatement.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank John N
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I only stayed for one night but I shall definitely return. On my arrival I was offered a cafetiere of excellent coffee with a huge slice of cake to enjoy either in the lounge or outside in the sunshine. Nice way to be welcomed. The hotel was beautiful. The area downstairs was spacious and very nicely decorated, you could tell that a lot of care and attention had been taken to make it look nice. There is a swimming pool which I shall use on my next visit. Breakfast was really, really good and served on HOT plates. Such attention to detail. Ingredients first class. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and I have stayed at a few different ones in the area on previous visits. This is my favourite!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo