“Excellent service and room- a top rate B&B!”
Review of The Rothesay Hotel

The Rothesay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Highcliffe B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and room- a top rate B&B!”
Reviewed 10 December 2010

The Rothesay exceeded my expectations. Our room was spotlessly clean and we were made to feel very welcome by Michael and Lyn. Exclusive use of the swimming pool is a major plus of this B&B, as is the relaxed atmosphere and delicious cooked breakfasts! I would definitely stay at the Rothesay again and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to friends and family. The local area is lovely and Michael and Lyn were more than happy to suggest places to eat and things to do nearby. Overall, everything was excellent and the only thing I can complain about is that we were only there for 2 nights and I would have loved to have stayed longer!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clairey48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Lynn met us on arrival with a nice cup of tea she was very helpful, our room was nice but my mothers and auntie's was of very high standard, the breakfast was hot and tasty and Lynn offered as much refreshment as we wanted, I would like to thank them for a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank cliftonroad
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My fiance booked us the Rothesay Hotel for 2 nights as a surprise..on arrival the owners Lynne and Michael made us feel very welcome by chatting to us and offering us tea and coffee and giving us information on the area and wheres best to go. They then showed us to our lovely traditional room with a four poster bed (which was very comfy and me and my partner both had a great night sleep) . The room was a great size and very very clean.
In the morning we went down to the dining room where we was greeted by Lynne and Michael who once again made us feel very welcome and provided us with a fantastic breakfast with a wide variety of food.
The swimming pool was a great extra where me and my partner had it all to ourselves.
The Hotel was set in a lovely area with lots to see and do with the beach so close and Highcliffe Castle so near which was beautiful!
All round great little get away and the hotel paid a big part in that! will defiantly be going back again!!!

2 Thank christinax
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This is our first stay in a bed and breakfast, we usually book high end chain hotels. We booked for the location and were not disapointed. We were greeted by Lyn and Michael who showed us our room ( we had the Butte Suite). Michael made us a coffee and offered us some homemade cake while we checked in. Our room was spacious and clean and comfortably furnished. We loved the pool, being able to book it to have the exclusive use is a brilliant way to utilise this facility, no sharing the experience with other peoples kids! Breakfast was delicious. If we're back this way again we'd certainly stay again,

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2010

When I arrived I was greeted by Lynn who gave me and my boyfriend a lovely tour of everything to do in the hotel. When I went into the room the first thing I noticed was how clean it was and how cosy it felt. We decided to take full advantage of the swimming pool and sauna. We then took a lovely stroll down the beach as it was less than five minutes away. That evening we took a taxi into Bournemouth and got a good taste of the night life. In the morning we went and had the inclusive breakfast and was delicious. Everything was cooked to perfection and my boyfriend and I had a lovely weekend away.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlexandraDavid
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We paid £95 a night for two nights in the "Castle Suite" , This was just an oversized room with the smallest shower/toilet room I've ever seen. After showering on day one we went out and when we returned the towels I'd left in the shower for changing had been hung back on the peeling radiator! The bed had a huge dip in the middle so we got thrown together during the night. There are no blinds or nets at the windows - only drapes. So when changing we had to have the curtains closed or we were overlooked. We usually stay at the Somerford Premier Inn when going to Highcliffe, but this was booked for us as part of a wedding party. Some of the others in our party were also disappointed, especially with having showers that were either way too hot or way too cold within a matter of seconds! This is not 4 star and we definitely wouldn't recommend it or stay there again.

4 Thank super_c00k
Redman2005, Owner at The Rothesay Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our accommodation and I am sorry that it was not to your liking.
It is a consciious decision for our first floor windows not to have net curtains, in order to allow more light in. We have not had it raised as an issue in the past. Our ground floor rooms have them but I have still never known people not close the curtains before changing. A practice that I do not believe is unreasonable upstairs as well.
We take great care in describing rooms when we sell them so as not to mislead and ultimately disappoint people. The shower ensuite in this room is small and is described as such on our website. Unfortunately on this occasion, the room was booked on your behalf and so we did not have the chance to describe the room in detail.

No complaints were made to us either by yourself or any of the other guests you mention as being unhappy. Consequently we had no opportunity to rectify. Once again, before telling the world on this site, TELL US. You never know what we can sort unless you give us the opportunity.

Finally, as for not being 4 star. We do not decide our rating, this grading is done independantly by an industry recognised body, the AA. They grade us annually with our latest report being done only in July of this year. It is the AA that have deemed us 4 star.

I'm sorry that we were not to your satisfaction and the room was not to your taste. Despite its 'failings' it remains by far and away our most popular room.
Swindon
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Friendly hostess and lovely breakfast. Bed and linen and towels were fine and the rooms warm, but there is little else good to say. Of a total of eleven lightbulbs in our bedroom & bathroom, four were not working and one was of such a low voltage to be near useless. Leaving one expired bulb on the used tea tray elicited no response. A single 25 ml bottle of shower gel was provided for two persons and not replaced when empty. The shower cubicle was of a good size, but badly needed cleaning, as did all the windows. In addition there were loose tiles around the bath. Furniture was disappointingly outdated, often with fabrics needing cleaning or replacing. The general appearance of the hotel was rather 'tired' and unkempt. Althought there was some evidence of refurbishment, our opinion is that it is superficial and long overdue . Overall............ adequate, but disappointing, and poor value for money. Over-optimistic star rating.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Barkingforfun
I thank you for your honest and frank opinions and am extremely disappointed that the quality of our accommodation was not up to the standard that you required and expected. The 'blown' light bulbs, unclean windows and lack of shower gel are entirely within our control and should never have been an issue. My apologies for this sloppiness.

Our star rating is an independant one carried out by the AA (last done only 2 months ago) and takes everything that the b&b hotel has to offer into consideration and fortunately is based upon all of our rooms including all of our newly refurbished rooms. The rooms, fixtures and fittings are continually being upgraded and refurbished and although this room has not been done in the last 3 years since we took over, it remains one of our most popular. Its more traditional style (not outdated) is popular but if is not to your taste then contemporary rooms were available.

Trying to not get too defensive, I disagree with your assessment that our accommodation is 'tired and unkempt' and our refurbishment is certainly not superficial. All of our refurbishment to date has been done to a very high standard using only the best fixtures and fittings. I am more than happy to show anyone our work to date, guests or otherwise, as I am proud of what we have acheived in the short time since we took over. As we did not show you around the whole building, then your 'superficial' comment I believe to be without foundation.

My only wish, if anyone reads this, is that you tell us if you are unhappy in any way. Apart from when we are in bed, either Lynn or myself (Michael) are always available to discuss any problem and to hopefully rectify where we can. If you had told us of some of your niggles then we could have made your stay a little more enjoyable. Why do people wait until they get home, log on to this site and then air their grievances? Please speak to us and as least give us a chance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highcliffe
Lord Bute Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Travelodge Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
#7 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to The Rothesay Hotel? Share your experiences!