“Mountain stream fishing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Upstreamflyfishing

Upstreamflyfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided fly fishing adventures in Switzerland & fly fishing lessons. Based in Wilderswil by Interlaken. Fish for mountain trout and large pike in the Swiss Alps. Your flyfishing guide, Pascal Zeller, looks forward spending an adventurous day on the water with you. Tight Lines !!!
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
“Mountain stream fishing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I'm an experienced fly fisherman from Pennsylvania who found myself in Switzerland on business, with a day or two to spare. I'm normally not the kind to hire a guide but Switzerland's fishing laws were confusing, and I didn't know where to start as far as locations.

I was looking for a more "wilderness" type of adventure, as that is the type of fishing I enjoy most back home. I also wanted to combine fishing with sightseeing and learning about "real Switzerland" from a native, beyond what the typical tourist sees. And in Pascal, I found exactly what I was looking for. Pascal spoke perfect English, verified what kind of experience I wanted (which is not for everyone), and worked with my travel schedule and around Swiss laws which limited where we could fish on that particular day of the week. Plus he provided equipment which I was not able to bring with me.

The fishing was good and exactly the style I was looking for. Pascal was an enjoyable fishing partner and taught me a lot about Switzerland. He's also a fine photographer and left me with some memorable pictures of my experience. The whole experience was everything I hoped it would be.

I only gave 4 stars on price, which seemed steep, but that has more to do with exchange rates. Everything in Switzerland seemed expensive to this American. I was splurging and I am glad I did, it was a very memorable day. Perfect!

Visited July 2013
Pasco37, Owner at Upstreamflyfishing, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hi Pat
Yes, we had a great day together. As you seemed to be a confident flyfisherman I took you to one of our clubs private waters- small steep mountain creek in the forest. Needless to say the casting on these overgrown banks is not for beginners..... But you had no problem at all- in fact I was impressed by your bow-casting technique, which you mastered a lot better than myself and which put you into a good number of nice brownies. Well done Pat- I hope to see you again in Switzerland one day. Tight Lines to you !!!

Zurich, Switzerland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fabulous family experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We did a fly fishing excursion with Pascal in May 2013. Our party included two families with children ranging from 4 to 8 years old. None of us have ever done fly fishing. Pascal was so patience teaching us the fly fishing method. Since we had young children, Pascal brought his son to occupy them while the adults did the fly fishing lesson. His son was PHENOMENAL with our young children. After our morning fly fishing lesson, we had a wonderful lunch at his home with his family. Then, we got to put our newly acquired fishing "skills" at a stocked pond. Because it was a rainy day, we were able to grill our fish at Pascal's home and enjoy dinner with his family. The whole experience felt like we were visiting a friend. He and his family were so welcoming and accommodating to our party. Pascal's knowledge of fishing, and the Swiss wilderness is impressive. I believe Pascal can tailor the fishing experiences to novices and experts. Highly recommend using him for a special experience in the beautiful Swiss countryside.

Visited May 2013

Pasco37, Owner at Upstreamflyfishing, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear LABTraveler4ever
Thank you very much for your kind and personal review. It is always a pleasure for me to introduce a family with children to flyfishing. I remember your kids were so excited about catching their first trout. Those smiles are big part of the satisfaction I get from this job.
I am also very pleased to see that some of you booked a follow up trip with me for this coming season. I am positive they will absolutely love to do some "real" fishing now- not in a stocked pond but out on one of our beautiful rivers of the Bernese Oberland. The best way to improve the flyfishing skills !
Thanks again for booking my services- I hope to meet you soon again.
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome day chasing brownies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I found Pascal's personality to be very down to earth and very honest. you can see that he really loves what he does and this shows when he is just as excited as you are when you catch a fish. he knows the area like the back of his hand and really puts you in the right spot to catch wild brownies. I had never fished fast flowing water before however Pascal made it his mission to turn me into a pro. fishing fast flowing shallow glacial streams was a real buzz and to do it with such a great bloke was a day well worth keeping in the memory bank. I think I ended up catching 6 or 7 little brownies with Pascal also catching quite a few. the area of Wilderswil is truly spectacular with deep flowing glacial pools and large water falls. looking up you will see green grassy paddocks with cows and small cottages before the beginning of the snow line near the top of the mountains. world class guide in a world class location. worth every penny.

Visited June 2013

1 Thank Pete C
Pasco37, Owner at Upstreamflyfishing, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hey Pete
Thanks a lot for your positive review. We had a great time that day and it was a pleasure for me to show you round my home stream. The little brownies will certainly grow until we get back together for another days fly fishing in the Swiss Alps.
Take care and tight lines !!!
Concord, New Hampshire
“April in Switzerland= tough fly fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Without Pascal's expertise we would have been without success. One party member caught a nice brown trout and one did not. Pascal tried his hardest to please each member of the party including travel info for the area and directing us to the drop dead gorgeous village of Wilderswil. Pascal's fishing knowledge is top notch. We were in Switzerland for a wedding, and this day with Pascal was the most interesting and enjoyable part of the trip.

Visited April 2013

Pasco37, Owner at Upstreamflyfishing, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you Graniteone for your review.
Yes, April is generally a tough time for fly fishing.......no question about that.
It is the snow melt season here in Switzerland and most rivers are high and discolored this time a year. Unfortunately not everyone can choose the best time a year for their fishing trip and it is the guide's responsibility to make it an enjoyable experience for his customers no matter what.
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I hope you can visit Switzerland again- maybe sometimes between June - September when the fishing is better !
Tight lines !
Pa
“World Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

How can you beat high mountain, glacial streams with native fish? You can't but you need a guide who knows the tactics. You can't go anywhere and fish without a guide, let alone to Switzerland, and be successful. Pascal knows his stuff. I would highly recommend him.

Visited July 2013

Pasco37, Owner at Upstreamflyfishing, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Hello David
Thanks for your kind words. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your trip to Switzerland.
Hope to see you again soon.