“Escape from it all”

Ranked #2 of 3 Gimmelwald B&B and Inns
Richfield, Ohio
“Escape from it all”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

What a great little hotel in Gimmelwald, Switzerland. My husband and I visited after our trip to Zurich for the Zurich Ironman. It was so peaceful. It is so beautiful and everyone at the hotel is great, especially the Manager, Phil. He did everything and made everyone feel welcome and comfortable. I usually don't like to stay at a place with a shared bathroom, but this was not a problem here because they actually had 2 water closets and 2 separate shower stalls for the 5 rooms on our floor, plus we had a sink in our room, so all was good. The room was charming - we had a skeleton key to get into our room -- in this day and age of key cards I thought it was great. I even took a picture of the key! And the view from our room - amazing. We also had a fun evening with Phil, his staff and other guests out on the patio just socializing and getting to know each other. We also were able to take the cable car up to Schilthorn and then we walked down. What a wonderful place. We hope to go back sometime.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We didn't stay at the Pension, but did walk from Mürren in order to have dinner there. They have a great "Backpacker's Special," which gets you a great meal for only 10 francs (unheard of for Switzerland!). They have a great beer and dessert selection, with an amazing view of the mountains and the valley. Definitely worth checking out. We want to try staying there next time, too :)

• Stayed August 2013
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This review is for the food only. We availed ourselves of the lovely outdoor patio, where you can drink beer and take refreshment after a hike and stare in continued disbelief at the gorgeousness around you. We returned later in the early evening for dinner, and ordered some traditional swiss fare - pork steak and rosti; schnitzel and fried potatoes. We also ordered, respectively, onion and broccoli and potato soups. Everything was hearty, filling, and very tasty (the pork steak was a tad tough). There is a vegetarian option of couscous and grilled vegetables, and a "backpacker special" which will run a reasonable 10 CHF.

The staff are kind, and you just might get a friendly visit from the neighbouring Mountain Hostel cat, Shadow.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I liked this place. I think it's good to know what to expect though - this is not a city hostel. This is a quaint, old, creaky house. The beds in the dorm are on the floor (and not very comfortable) and the dorm has a slanted room making certain areas less accessible. I can't say as though I slept really well (every toss in a bed made a noise, and the biggest creak imaginable happened when you sat down on the hallway toilet). The shower was good, bathroom fine, everything was clean. There are not a lot of outlets, but as I mentioned, in a old building like this, I guess you can't expect that.

The lounge area is very quaint and homey, but I didn't eat there. The terrace is also lovely. I would stay here again, but I'd probably look for something a bit more expensive in order to get more bang for my buck.

Also, a slight aside - although I enjoyed Gimmelwald, I think that Murren was more my kind of city. I spent most of my time around there, as they had good trails from there, a swimming pool - which is free if you are staying in the area, an ATM, several restaurants, and a grocery store which was absolutely necessary for a backpackers as the restaurants are frighteningly expensive in this area. I don't think it's necessary to stay in Gimmelwald in order to experience its charm - it's an easy gondola trip down from Murren.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wanderlust244
zuerich
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband, daughter and I hiked up to Gimmelwald (about 3 very intensive hours, straight up) and chose to eat dinner here. The feeling is like Big Sur in California, if anyone has been there. Very laid back, easy going, and friendly staff with good music. Our waiter, Tristan took excellent care of us and our dog. It was easy to meet other guests there, and before we knew it, we had made some new friends. By the way, the food was excellent! I had the schnitzel, my daughter the hamburger and my husband the backpacker special. The desserts were also excellent, my husband had a custard limoncello pie which is a new combination of which I have never had before, They added some curry to my daughters hamburger which gave it a nice kick. We will defiinitely be coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I and three kids (7,9,11) stayed here in early August and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Staff were friendly and laid-back, but attentive. Atmosphere was relaxed, backpack style. Loved the Paradise radio 'soundtrack' in the background.

The pension is older and a bit creaky, and as others have mentioned the walls seem thin. Didn't bother us. Shared bathroom facilities were adequate and clean, and plenty of general purpose soap was available. Those looking for a more buttoned-up accommodation might try Esther's guest house next door.

Enjoyed dinner and beers and views on the terrace; nice breakfasts each day in the restaurant. For some variety we took a few meals up in Murren - plenty of options up there. Outside there are great views and trails in every direction, each day was a different adventure. One day we took the gondola up to the top of the Schilthorn. Kind of pricey for us, but it was fun and I'm glad we did it. Hint: if you want to dine at the rotating restaurant up there, make reservations in advance or right when you get to the top. Also, the James Bond exhibit is included in the lift price. The kids enjoyed it.

We're looking forward to returning to Gimmelwald someday and we would absolutely book at the Pension Gimmelwald again. Thanks for a memorable stay!

Room Tip: we stayed above the front door and loved the views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Gimmelwald is a great little village if you don't need a lot of choice or amenities on your doorstep. There is one other restaurant in the village and the nearest store is in Murren. It was perfect for our needs and we very much enjoyed the five nights that we spent here. The house is old and there is no sound insulation, I was woken up most nights by someone snoring in another room, bring ear plugs! The rooms was comfortable and the bathroom was always clean. We ate on the patio most evenings, there is usually a backpackers special that is cheap and was always very tasty, the pork and rosti with orange whisky sauce was amazing. The reviews below about the setting and scenery are spot on, the most amazing I have ever seen. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: It might be better to have a room on the top floor, then you wouldn't hear people walking above...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gimmelwald
Eiger Guesthouse
#6 of 11 in Murren
Hotel Jungfrau
Hotel Jungfrau
#7 of 11 in Murren

Been to Pension Gimmelwald? Share your experiences!