“Beautiful Location”
Review of Hotel Mittaghorn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gimmelwald
Hotel Mittaghorn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gimmelwald
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Beautiful Location”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed 2 nights here. The views were spectacular. I would consider this a hostel, but it is very comfortable if you have that perspective. If you have a car, you can drive to Stechelberg and park there, taking to cable car to Gimmelwald.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank avwilke

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
winnipeg
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed in April 2014. "Hotel" is a misnomer....this is more of a hostel. We were aware it was rustic, but at the rates charged it needs improvements. Lumpy beds, skimpy pillows and towels, and you still need to put a coin in for a shower. The heat only comes on at 10:30 or so, so if you retire before then, you may wake in the middle of the night to a room much too warm! At 100 Swiss franks a night, the hotel is not worth it.

Room Tip: Try the hostel in town or stay in Murren.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank j-and-jd-win-mb
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

On our 1 month Europe trip, Gimmewald and Hotel Mittaghorn were by far the most memorable! We cannot wait to go back one day! We stayed for 3 perfect days. We met wonderful people at the family style dinners. It was such a magical and peaceful place to stay!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Meg R
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My friends and I stayed at Walters place in 2004 and it was a great experience. You can't ask for better scenery than the Mittaghorn mountains. Everyone at the hotel was nice and inviting and the place is full of charm. The food was great as well as the company. I hope to go back again one day soon.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jasonnsmith
Katy, Tx
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

My fourth trip to this place and it gets better every time. The owner Walter is a true gentleman and has incredible stories to share. I hope he never changes the place. His assistant Tim does a great job making sure you get to the place and knows all of the best hiking trails no matter what the weather is like that day. Great job guys!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank KatyTexas10
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Loved the location and meeting Walter was the highlight! After hearing his stories I can almost hear the laughter in the bar from years gone by. However...as sad as it is..those days are gone, I think the hotel needs some TLC to bring it back to where is was when I'm assuming Rick Steves gave it a raving review. The view from our room was breathtaking and the town adorable but the rooms could be cleaner and something should be done about the strong smell of kerosine downstairs. The shared bathroom was freezing as well as the rooms which were suppose to have heat starting at 10 pm but ours never came on...all in all it was ok but I would not stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank iloveitaly1212
Vancouver
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Spent 3 nights with Walter and Tim in June 2013. Room was charming, even the funky coin shower. Reminded me of boarding school days with timed showers. My husband and I competed with each other to see who could shower without a second coin. Mountain views from our window were stunning. Comfortable beds. Slept like a log. Fresh air, cows with bells walking by. Friendly people outside, and inside with other guests at mealtime. Meals were more than expected for the price.Walter rules the kitchen! Very well cooked and tasty, and wine as well.
Tim was a veritable font of good information and stories about the region. He loaned me some hiking poles for the gorgeous hikes on creaky knees. So fabulous to stay in this dream of a 'Heidi village". No stores or cars. Just a gondola ride...and yes, they take cows on the gondolas. Too funny. Suffice it to say, we enjoyed the stay immensely and would love to return someday. Thank you Walter and Tim.

Room Tip: ask for mountain view room, Try the Swiss raclette at the hostel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank gbech
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gimmelwald
Hotel Eiger
#2 of 20 in Wengen
Hotel Silberhorn
Hotel Silberhorn
#1 of 7 in Lauterbrunnen

Been to Hotel Mittaghorn? Share your experiences!