“Another lovely meal”

The Crown, Stoke By Nayland
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Another lovely meal”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We have been coming here for several years now and it has never let us down. We bring visitors confident of delicious food.

I'm glad there is waitress service now, and you don't have to go to the bar with your order, and that the daily specials are on a menu not just on the distant chalk board.

I think they do need someone to 'greet' though. i know to go the bar and announce myself. If it was my first visit I would feel uncomfortable and not feel very welcome.

Decor is refreshed and quietly elegant with a country feel, very tasteful.

The fish is very good. I had goujons of monkfish which were delicious (described misleadingly as monkfish tail scampi- I was expecting scampi on my plate) others had fish pie and pan fried smoked haddock and I had a superb dessert of praline glazed peanut butter ice cream with chocolate and caramel sauces. Quite exquisite. The whole meal was 5* Although I was busy talking to friends i shall remember what I ate. I can recommend.

service perhaps a little slow but we were happy to linger over our food

The cost was about £25 per headfor 2 courses including a beer and coffee

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank gourmetrover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My Husband and i had dinner at the crown on friday night and it was fabulous. great food. great atmosphere and friendly staff..

i must say i loved the dessert menu, the chocolate tart looked and tasted delicous . and the biscuit that came along with our coffees were of some what shortbread which were very tasty. i wanted to buy some.!!

very good place to eat.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed on 22 Feb on special DB&B deal. Good experience with food and bedrooms.

Accommodation is seperate from pub so noise is at a minimum. Well trained and smart receptionists

Only one complaint was that my rump steak at dinner was not up to standard. This was agreed by the chef after I complained and was compensated with complimentary deserts for my party.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
colchester
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Pros: Food excellent
Ambience pleasant
Value for money reasonable by current standards

Cons: Arrived promptly for a 7.30pm booking. Entered restaurant from car park entrance and completely disregarded for what seemed like several minutes. My wife spent the time looking for somewhere to hang her coat! Eventually approached by young male waiter with "yew orl righ'?" A simple "Good Evening" would have wasted even fewer words and given a much better impression. First impressions count!
Service by and large OK but what seemed like an interminable wait for nothing more complicated than one espresso coffee and one green tea.
No-one appeared to be in overall charge, with the young and in one or two cases, I think, inexperienced staff seemingly left to their own devices; certainly no-one enquired at any point whether everything was satisfactory and whether we had enjoyed our dinner.

Note for the owners/management should they read any of this: remedying these failings would cost next to nothing but would make ALL the difference. We'll come again and be interested to see if this review has made any difference. If it has, we can be counted on as regular customers in future and would be prepared to upgrade the rating to good/excellent.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
I am dreadfully sorry to read your review on your recent experience at the Crown. You will appreciate from time to time especially being a people led industry mistakes do occur. This does not take away from the fact that you experienced a poor reception and overall impression of the Crown, not our normal standard by any means. My apologies.
essex
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We have stayed at The Crown twice now both times on a package which incuded an evening meal and breakfast. We love the modern, prestine rooms, beautiful bed linen, lovely big towels very clean top marks. The receptionist I think her name is Barbara is very welcoming and helpful and always brings you fresh milk to your room !
The food is fantastic, a really good choice, and very filling. Breakfast is again fantastic !! Cant rate it enough !! Love it !! Thank you for a great stay

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the little touches like fresh milk brought to your room and, of course, our excellent customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, England
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a break at this hotel. We had a great few days, outstanding service from the minute we stepped in, great food in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner and a wonderful room even equipped with a DVD! If you are looking for a tranquil and relaxing boutique hotel then this is definitely the one for you. The area often suffers from blackouts from time to time, only for a few seconds. It would have been useful to have that information in the handy guide which was in the bedroom but overall a wonderful trip and would definitely recommend this hotel! Definitely more than a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s true that one of the few drawbacks of rural life is the occasional interruption to the power supply – that day there was clearly some essential maintenance being carried out due to the snowy weather! We do have our own generator here at The Crown, though, and we trust that you were reassured by the speed with which power was thereby restored.
Essex
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My Husband booked an overnight stay and evening meal for us as a surprise for my birthday and what a surprise. We were staying in room 211 ~ beautiful room with beautiful views. Very comfortable bed with wonderfully crisp, good quality linen ~ I could have laid in that bed all morning! Wonderful huge bathroom with huge fluffy towels ~ If I could have packed that whole bathroom away and taken it home I would have!
Our evening meal was perfect ~ very attentive staff in fact all of the staff were very attentive expecially the reception staff who remembered our names ~ small touches like this always make all the difference.
Breakfast was fantastic ~ all of the food was very well prepared and presented beautifully.
I can honestly find no fault with the hotel or restaurant.
We will definitely come back again ~ hopefully in the summer x

Room Tip: Room 211 was wonderful ~ will be fantastic in the summer with the wondows open to views across the c...