“Consistently delivers”

The Crown, Stoke By Nayland
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Have visited the Crown a number of times, and have always had a good experience within the restaruant. Have just returned from a Sunday night stay, including dinner and breakfast, and thought we should share just how good the hotel is also. The hotel is small, stylish and has great attention to detail. Both from the design and finish and customer service. We enjoyed a wonderful meal in the evening, I have to say that the steak is superb and have had on a number occasions, as is their catch of the day. I would also disagree with the comments on service, based on our experiences it's always been good, even on busy days such as mother's day. I would most definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Worth paying that little bit extra for a superior room
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KatswhiskersLondon
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

It is lovely receiving feedback like this - will make sure that I pass on your kind words to all my colleagues. Delighted you enjoy the informal and relaxed but busy restaurant and in particular our beef, which is locally reared and butchered by John Coleman, a brilliant craftsman totally dedicated to quality.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I agree with the points made by the previous reviewer, Rich W. We had a lovely stay at the Crown. Our bedroom, on the first floor, was extremely comfortable and the bathroom very modern and functional. There were large fluffy towels and a heated towel rail (a 'must' for my wife!). The room was large and well appointed and although it overlooked the carpark was not at all noisy. One slight gripe was that the balance of the lighting was wrong - sidelights too weak for reading which necessitated putting on the main lights which were too bright. There were all creature comforts such as tea making equipment and an ironing board supplied in the room.
We ate in the restaurant, which we have done many times before, and whilst the food was excellent we always find the service slightly haphazard. The restaurant is always very busy and there is a feeling that the staff aren't co-ordinated and it is thus very slow.
Breakfast was hit and miss, in that on one day my 'Full English Breakfast' arrived cold and the next the bubble and squeak was horrid - slimy, oily, under cooked mashed potato.
These small blemishes didn't detract from a marvellous stay. We are looking forward to returning.
The hotel is a definite 5 star but the restaurant probably a three and half.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DJFLondon
RMSunderland, Manager at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It gives a great lift to all my hard working colleagues and will make sure that I pass on your kind words to them all. The restaurant is extremely busy with a tremendous buzzy feeling, but I can assure you that the floor staff are very focussed and organised. Sorry to learn about the bubble and squeak have informed the head chef - look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

Just back from two nights at The Crown, Stoke by Nayland. Hidden away amidst beautiful countryside in a very charming and well-kept village. Warm greeting on arrival from the receptionist and on being shown our room we were delighted with its style, decor, free internet access, bathroom (choice of overhead and separate spray shower) great thick Egyptian towels, tea/coffee making facilities complete with fresh milk, soft bed linen, comfy bed and everything spotlessly clean. The restaurant was also a delight, cosy but without being intrusive, comfortable and super table linen. The menu - to be honest everything sounded so good it was difficult to make a choice. First night we both had the ribeye steak for main course - cooked as requested and much enjoyed. Second night equally good and again spoilt for choice, the lamb rump and duck once more cooked to perfection. Starters were also a delight. Breakfast was an experience and a large choice was on offer, wish we could have stayed longer to try out some of the other dishes listed. All in all this was a wonderful experience and one which I would recommend to all my friends - we cannot wait for the excuse to return there. Well done to the staff and the 'boss' man!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure that I pass on your kind words to all my staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

The customer is definitely not 'always right' in this place - 'Chef knows best'.

This was our first visit and unless forced against our will, will be our last visit. While the local gentry may be reassured by the excesively high prices (beef burger £12, roast £18) the meals were nothing to write home about and I have certainly tasted better for the same price; could it be that the restaurant sits safe in the knowledge that they will continue to see the same clientelle returning week on week to pay such high prices.

Despite the high price it was the customer service after a complaint that beggared belief. One of our party chose the roast of rib beef - What was delivered was a plate of 2/3 fat and 1/3 beef. On complaint the chef 'explained' that this was perfectly normal for meat near to the rib. If this is the case then why not provide more meat onto the plate so that one feels like getting £12 worth of meat (noting that ordering the vegetables as a side would have only cost £6 out of the total £18).

Regardless of the 'explanation' what we were truly flabbergasted about was the lack of interest paid to our complaint and no subsequent offer to reduce the bill, offer a free coffee, drink etc. Clearly in this part of the world the chef is king and the customer is not right. Regardless of the quibble it is general practice to keep the customer happy in whatever form is appropriate.

To that end we will certainly not be returning and maybe it is time that the restaurant has a good hard look at itself and remember that the customer should always come first and the chef's pride (and knowledge of cuts of meat) second.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jgjr1

I am genuinely sorry you did not enjoy your lunch. My Head Chef, Restaurant Manager and indeed my other floor and bar staff do not recall your complaint, which is very strange as we treat all such feedback very seriously.
All our food is freshly prepared every day, and we buy all our meat from our highly regarded local butcher. Unfortunately, as you will know if you read or listen to the press the cost of food has increased significantly whereby this has to be reflected at the end of the day through what we charge as a business. This is not profiteering just simple mathematics of running a business.
Once again many apologies you did not enjoy your time at the Crown.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Sunday Lunch, 29th February 1012, 3 people; a special occasion spoilt. Whilst the food was reasonably good - except for the lamb which was tough and not billed - the restaurant needs to sort out its service protocols. Priority was given first to local worthies and then to large tables, leaving the three of us ignored by the waiting staff, who would win Olympic gold for avoiding eye contact. An hour and a half after arriving we saw no signs of our main courses. Excuses ranged from "busy" to "just being plated up", but it was obvious that other tables were being given their agreed priority. So, so annoying. Apologies after the event and offers of free puddings as compensation are no substitutes for getting it badly wrong. So go there if you are a mob of ten or well known to the staff, but otherwise take your copy of War and Peace - you'll need it.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

I am so sorry that your experience at The Crown was unsatisfactory as we make every effort to look after all our customers, whether regulars, locals, large parties or people visiting us for the first time. Sundays are always very busy but we are confident that all tables are managed efficiently so that we can accommodate as many customer as possible - as well as diary bookings, we have a lot of walk-in customers who we are also keen not to disappoint.
My staff take great pride in the work they do and adverse comments, while very rare, are always listened to and acted upon so I do hope that you will visit us again to see just how good a typical Crown experience can be!

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Charming restaurant with extensive views across valley deep in beautiful Constable country.
Excellent menu - majoring on locally caught fish. I had dressed crab my all time favourite food and my husband had a hearty helping of haddock dipped in adnams batter - he commented that too was delicious. For dessert he had lemon meringue pie with ice cream. Have to say my dessert of a trio of cheesecakes was a bit weird and two seemed more like ice-cream. Dont know what had happened. Comfortable restaurant - log fires - bordering on noisy but that's what happens when a lot of happy people are together! Will go again when in area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Many thanks for your lovely comments. Just for your information the trio of cheesecakes does include a raspberry cheesecake ice cream – this is on the menu but apologies if it was not clear.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My partner took me here for my birthday as a surprise and I would not hesitate to recommend this to friends. Tucked away in the pretty village of stoke by nayland, this lovely little country pub with a small hotel on the side overlooks the surrounding countryside. The rooms are decorated to a high standard and I was particularly impressed by the double walk in power shower (which really packs a punch!), and extremely comfortable bed. The staff in both the hotel and the pub were friendly and attentive. The meal in the pub was very tasty (roast beef was lovely and rare, vegetables were perfectly cooked, and the cheeseboard included our favourite black bomber plus a gutsy stilton) with a huge glass wine cellar near the dining room (I would recommend reserving the booth directly opposite!) . Breakfast the next morning was excellent (especially the black pudding).

Stayed: April 2012
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Crown and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke by Nayland
#1 of 2 in Sudbury
The Mistley Thorn
The Mistley Thorn
#1 of 1 in Mistley

Been to The Crown, Stoke By Nayland? Share your experiences!