“Overrated and overpriced”

The Crown, Stoke By Nayland
“Overrated and overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have lived near to the Crown for the past 20 years and have seen it grow from a third rate country pub to a destination food venue. Now however it would appear that it is living on past reputations. I visited with friends and my 11 year old. Our meal was £190 which was only two courses each, 5 beers and two very average bottles of wine. My son's steak (smallest ribeye I have ever seen) was overcooked and the fries didn't arrive until after he had finished ! We had to ask twice for tea and coffee and my liver comprised two of the thinnest slices you could find for £17. The location is fantastic and the atmoshere is always good but there are several other restaurants in the immediate area and you may want to try them instead if food is your driver.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dunny50
RMSunderland, General Manager at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
When an establishment is as busy as we are, it is vitally important not to rest on our laurels and, to that end, we take every piece of feedback – both good and bad – very seriously indeed as long as it is factually correct. Our aim is still the same as the day we opened 11 years ago: to serve good quality food and drink at fair prices in a friendly and relaxed setting.
I believe that we continue to deliver on our promise and, if anything, we've learnt and improved as the years go by. Many of our customers, like you, have watched us grow and continue to support us and we really do value their loyalty. I do hope that you will visit us again to see if we can’t change your mind.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Felixstowe, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

The food certainly cannot be faulted but the staff certainly can!! We booked a table for 8pm and the Crown was not particularly busy. We ordered a garlic bread starter and two mains of tuna and haddock from a very nice blonde haired waitress. It was 30 minutes before the starter arrived. Halfway through eating the starter our mains arrived and a very surly waitress with long dark hair and glasses proceeded to try and put the plates on the table. She obviously could not see we were still eating so we told her! She then said in a very condescending voice "shall I take these back to the kitchen then? leaving the two bowls of chips on the table. We carried on eating our starter and then the mains arrived again. Whilst my haddock was nice and hot my husband's tuna was cold and of course the chips had gone cold. The tuna was once again taken back to the kitchen to be reheated. At the end of the meal we were advised by the not so charming waitress that the reason the mains were brought to the table is that the kitchen timed the main course to the starters being delivered which is fair enough but it was totally the fault of the staff that our starters took so long in coming. I think the Crown need to train all of their staff to be more polite!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kay H
A great deal of time and effort is spent on training our staff and you can be very sure that criticism such as yours is carefully followed up. It’s extremely important that the quality of our service matches the excellence of our food and I can only apologise that you found us wanting on this occasion. Please do visit us again when you can be assured of our best attention.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Firstly if I may this is a first class establishment and the general feedback is positive. the GMs responses to some of the less than good or excellent feedback is a bit "direct"

I love confidence in business just love it and this is a confident place in today's market it's tough on our visit there was a real mix of clientele which is difficult because today you have to be all things to all people we were looking for 2 rosette standard in a great location.

Trade, lovely day and steady on the terrace.

You will not beat the ambience for a sunny lunch.

We visited the Crown as We eat out on a Monday lunch with family as to avoid the madding crowd.
2 AA rosettes is the bench mark and the price reflects this but there is no issue here with pricing if you are paying for 2 AA standard food, locally sourced, cooked with innovation, passion and care with regard to the seasons and Provence of the product.

We ate chorizo scotch eggs with aioli very good! pressed chicken terrine very good, mains haddock and chips! mussels, steak fritte and calves liver. A few drinks coffee lovely company nice sunshine great setting.

Steak fritte should be pink, flash fried or grilled fritte should be that not curled up although homemade chips.
Calves liver should melt in your mouth and I would expect a veal jus not a Demi glacé. pomme purée was good, pea shoot garnish a little past there best now so are more stringy that delicate, and what happened to dressing the garnish?
The mussel sauce was too loose it should coat the mussels, the haddock was ok.
I am being picky but I should be its 2 rosettes and priced accordingly.

When I paid the bill I was asked if everything was ok with my meal, the lady behind the bar asked the person before me if it was ok and he said yes as did I.

But that is all it's OK I do not believe the food I ate and paid for was 2 rosette standard it was ok the service was ok but not friendly or unfriendly. I bet when the AA inspector visited the food standard was higher along with the service I bet the GM was there and the Head Chef.

I think the GM / owners are looking for more than OK when they dine out. I will return here but I will call ahead and check to see if the GM and head Chef are working.

My trip advisor advice is check to see if the head sheds are working and visit you have a better than OK experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Essex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed in room 102 and it was beautiful, reception staff so attentive and friendly and standard of room was excellent with a well stocked mini bar and a huge bathroom. The beds were very comfy and so had a fantastic nights sleep. The restaurant was amazing the food quality was of an excellent standard and all staff were friendly and attentive (particularly recommend the Mississippi mud pie!!). We have never eaten breakfast at The Crown before and we would definitely recommend this, the quality was first class and the portions were generous. I had the French toast and it was gorgeous. Cannot recommend this venue enough!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We haven't been to The Crown for a couple of years and we had a fantastic meal. There was 4 of us and all of our meals were perfect. I had the scallops and a rib eye for main all was very very good and my steak was cooked perfectly. We all enjoyed the wine recommended with each meal. There was only one glitch in the evening when we came to order coffees they had turned the coffee machine off?? It was 10.15 and we had just had desserts, so unfortunately I didn't get to finish the evening with an Irish coffee :0( bit of a shame but overall we had a brilliant evening.. Will definitely recommend.

Stayed July 2014
S.Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our room (101) was spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was very well appointed. Our evening meal was excellent as was the beer, cider and wine selection. Every member of staff was friendly and efficient. I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 209 which is a lovely room, no views but the quality of the room makes up for it, the bathroom is amazing.

The staff are all really helpful, the dinner and the breakfast were great.

Thanks for a nice stay we will come back again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
The Mill Hotel
The Mill Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,036 reviews

Been to The Crown, Stoke By Nayland? Share your experiences!