“Great place to stay, wonderful food”

The Crown, Stoke By Nayland
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay, wonderful food”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Excellent pub and attached rooms. The food is great, fresh fish is a must and their haddock and chips is the dish my mother-in-law has every time. The food is beautifully presented and of an amazing quality, my roast beetroot and goats cheese salad was garnished with home-made poppy seed sticks and served with courgette chips. Others reported that the roast beef and steak was good and the cherry pavlova was a triumph.
The ground floor rooms have their own terraces looking out across the valley and sheep field, all very tranquil and peaceful. The bed was enormous, the bathroom modern and well equipped and a mini bar with welcome tea making facilities.
Our waitress was charming, and when we left we were keen to leave a tip for her but were told all tips are democratically divided up so that even the lady who irons the napkins gets something - full marks for that!

Room Tip: ground floor room with a terrace if the weather is good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Maldon
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Visited The Crown for lunch with some old friends. Most of the time we were very well served by two young waitresses. There are times, when as a Trip Adviser senior contributor, I wish I could give a badge to a member of staff for particularly good service. This would have been one of those times. I had a very tasty duck breast, tender and cooked slightly pink, for dessert a delicious Tiramisu. Will I visit again probably in spite of the length of the journey.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We visited the restaurant today for lunch with old friends. We had pre-lunch drinks on the terrace, enjoying the pretty surroundings with luxuriantly planted tubs and flower beds and views across fields. The five of us were then shown to a circular table making general conversation easy. We found the menu excellent with numerous choices of both meat and fresh fish dishes and including a range of lighter and heartier options. We particularly liked the inclusion of mini-sized starters and desserts which meant that those of us with smaller appetites could still enjoy a three course meal. The atmosphere was relaxed and the young serving staff were efficient, cheerful and friendly. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced, the bill for 5 of us coming to just over £100 excluding wine. Altogether a very enjoyable experience and we shall certainly return. On a previous occasion we stayed the night in the hotel. Our room was beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. We woke to the baaing of sheep and views across fields and a hearty breakfast cooked to order. A stroll around the mediaeval centre of this small village completed what was a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
RMSunderland, Manager at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
I like to think that your sentiments will ring true with many of our customers – we certainly aim to deliver this level of service and enjoyment at all times.
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you back, both to the Restaurant and the Hotel.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We came for lunch on Monday to celebrate my sister's birthday and left feeling very disappointed with the service. The waiters were very surly and lacking in polite etiquette. Plates were thrown down in front of us and we did not receive a single smile. When one of them did not hear what my mother had asked for he rather curtly asked "What did you say?" when a "Pardon" or "I'm sorry could you repeat that please?" would have been appropriate. Bad manners is certainly not what I expected. We were seated rather far away from the main part of the restaurant and subsequently were forgotten about. When we asked if we could order after waiting for over 15 minutes we did not receive an apology for being kept waiting. We had ordered coffee with our desserts and, after finishing our desserts, we waited for another 10 minutes before I had to track down a waiter to inform them that we were still waiting for our coffees. Considering that the restaurant was virtually empty, this was a little difficult to fathom why it was taking so long. The food was to an adequate standard. The sea bass was tasty but had simply been baked in the oven and the skin needed to be crispy. The lamb was cut in extremely thick slices and rather fatty. It certainly seemed extremely over-priced for the quality of food. My father is a chef and has owned a number of restaurants so perhaps we have been spoilt with the quality of food we are used to. However, I certainly do not believe that this was value for money by anyone's standards. We would have complained to the staff as I prefer to discuss complaints face to face but throughout the meal and when settling the bill we were not asked once how our meal was. Seems that some training on how to improve the customer service is needed here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pete D
RMSunderland, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Issues such as these are much better addressed at the time and I'm sure that the Restaurant Manager could have resolved the situation to your complete satisfaction, had she known.
The Crown has a reputation for friendly service and we have a strong team of enthusiastic and well-trained staff but clearly we fell short of our usual high standards on this occasion.
All we can do is to apologise and to examine your comments and take action where necessary.
Beaconsfield
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We loved our two night stay here and were impressed by so many things: the spacious and tastefully decorated rooms, the cheerful and helpful staff, the amazing (and very generous) breakfast, the restaurant for dinner. Everything is beautifully cared for and of excellent quality and you will get a good night's sleep, as it's very quiet and in a peaceful rural location in a very pretty village, with a beautiful church.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TiffanyBeaconsfield
RMSunderland, General Manager at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
The Crown provides the perfect base from which to explore the many delights that rural Suffolk has to offer and I’m so glad that, with the benefit of a good night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast, you were able to do just that. There are many interesting places to visit in the area so I hope you’ll come and stay again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was my first visit to the Crown...and will be my last. I dined here for lunch on a Sunday. The pub itself has a nice decor and is spacious. Aside from that, it is downhill from there and incredibly underwhelming.

The vegetarian menu was incredibly limited - only two choices. If you are vegetarian, keep driving through this beautiful village and find a pub that knows how to cater for alternative dietary requirements. Prices are expensive - they are comparable to prices in a 4/5 star restaurant, whereas this is merely a pub. The service was very under par, particularly for an establishment that, according to its website, prides itself on 'excellent staff'. I had to return an order because it was incorrect and request cutlery (as none was provided with the meal). Considering both the price of food, and the inevitable expectation that this should be a good dining experience, the establishment lets down its customers badly.

I fully anticipate a hostile response from the hotel to my review as it would seem, from reading other responses, that is their cavalier and inept manner when dealing with constructive criticism. The management clearly do not know the cardinal rule in the service and hospitality industry, that the customer is always right, and that attacking customers genuine experiences suffices only to make them look as if they are amateurs.

Room Tip: Top Tip...keep driving onto the next pub...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Katia4444
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to The Crown.

I'm sorry that you consider our vegetarian options to be inadequate. As well as an extensive fish board, and a variety of starters including Heritage Tomato salad and Courgette bhajis with coriander dip, there are eleven dishes on our main menu, at least two of which are specifically suitable for vegetarians. We have many different tastes and preferences to balance and I think our menu selection offers a fair split. The choices on our current menu of roasted beetroot, poppy seed straws, goat’s cheese and watercress salad and courgette fries or delicious homemade ravioli with spinach and artichoke have proved extremely popular with vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.

You accuse my responses of being hostile. I believe passionately in the quality of our product and the dedication of our staff and we receive plenty of glowing reviews endorsing this belief. If I consider specific criticism is unjustified, I am bound to defend them and I will continue to do so. That, I am afraid, is the cardinal rule of Tripadvisor, whether one likes it or not!

I will also continue to analyse every review with my Department Managers and where we can identify areas for improvement, you can be sure that we will implement change.
Cheshire
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were in room 105 which was a twin room on the ground floor close to the reception area with all the expected amenities. I think it was technically “superior”. A kettle with a cafeteria and real coffee (how much better than instant), a power shower over the bath, reasonable space, TV with video recorder, were all provided.
After we arrived, we unpacked, and went into the bar for a beer before retiring for a rest. Later in the evening, we ate at the restaurant and the wine list is excellent with fair prices and a comparatively low mark-up. The food is well above bistro pub average. I had a chorizo Scotch egg, steak and chips accompanied by a glass of pink wine and a bottle of 2005 claret, which at £40 was first rate value.
Breakfasts are substantial. The non-fry up versions are worth a try. Again excellent coffee.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheshire-Flyingpig
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write your review – I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to your liking. I’m especially glad that you took note of our extensive wine list – we take great care choosing the wines and they are priced to allow as many people as possible to appreciate them.
Do come and visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke by Nayland
Stoke by Nayland Country Cottages
The Mill Hotel
The Mill Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury

Been to The Crown, Stoke By Nayland? Share your experiences!